Batwoman Episode 02/03 - "Bat Girl Magic!"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Scheduled airdate: January 31, 2021

Synopsis:

NEW HERO, NEW SUIT - As Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) continues to prove herself as Batwoman, she encounters the challenge of every superhero - living a double life. Mary (Nicole Kang) is still Team Ryan, while Luke (Camrus Johnson) continues to have reservations - especially when Ryan makes some alterations and unveils a new Batsuit! Meanwhile, Victor Szasz (guest star Alex Morf) is slashing his way through the city streets, and Commander Kane (Dougray Scott) has The Crows trying to stop the flow of Snakebite through Gotham. Safiyah (guest star Shivaani Ghai) takes notice of Alice's (Rachel Skarsten) antics and Sophie (Meagan Tandy) finds herself in unexpected circumstances. Directed by Holly Dale; written by Nancy Kiu.

Promo:

I hope that Zsasz isn't just a one-off. I really liked that Zsasz became a recurring character on Gotham. It helped that Anthony Carrigan had so much energy playing the character.

This is definitely the best episode of the season thus far. They really did not hold back in critiquing themselves.

It's somewhat funny that every iteration of Victor Zsasz is so enjoyable.

This organization that's captured Alice and Sophie easily could've been the League. After all, Nyssa and Talia are still out there.

Then again, if that happened, I'm sure the show would find a way to tie Ryan to them, too. Since she has a connection to Alice and already knows Zsasz.

This was a solid episode. I really like the change in power dynamic with the trio - basically instead of Luke and Mary being sidekicks like they were with Kate, they're the ones kinda in charge, helping Ryan find her feet. Seeing Ryan become confident as Batwoman and growing into the leader of the group will be a nice journey if handled well, imo.

I was generally satisfied with the Batwoman/Ryan progression. But I found most of the Alice/Safiyah stuff to be a bit of a snooze. (Granted, we eventually got some important exposition.) Likewise: although Zsasz had an interesting intro, he sorta underwhelmed for the remainder of his scenes.

This was a solid episode. I really like the change in power dynamic with the trio - basically instead of Luke and Mary being sidekicks like they were with Kate, they're the ones kinda in charge, helping Ryan find her feet. Seeing Ryan become confident as Batwoman and growing into the leader of the group will be a nice journey if handled well, imo.

I think Javica's ability to act beyond "straight faced sarcastic" is a real boon to the dynamic. Ryan and Mary are already just so much fun together. I think making the new Batwoman a bit more fun than expected it going to do wonders for the series.

Also, speaking of fun characters, what is with Zsasz that makes the TV characters go, lets make this character fun. And I am glad that they address the issue of where continuity minded artists probably tear their hair out when drawing Zsasz. What does happen when he runs out of room? Also a nice way to indicate that he isn't new around Gotham.

Should be interesting to see where the Safiyah storyline goes.

Think this was the best episode yet, I loved this version of Zsaz, honestly though I was amazed at how violent that opening was, didn’t expect that.

Ryan Wilder just gets better every week and I thought she looked great in her new suit. I still like that she hasn’t got the hang of everything too, makes her more relatable than Kate already.

The only thing I’m unsure on is the Safiyah stuff, I fear they’re just gonna be retreading Ra’s Al Ghul stuff with her but with a different coat of paint. I was kind of bored with all that stuff tbh.

Can't watch it, yesterday it would freeze and blink out and today on Demand it had no CC(closed captions) Bloody hell! :cmad::argh:

If Kate is still alive by the end of all of this, still on this Earth, in perfect shape I dont really see how they can give the character a fitting end that wouldnt ruin her. Either she has to be dead, in a mental state where she simply cant be part of the fight, or unable to suit up.

If Kate is still alive by the end of all of this, still on this Earth, in perfect shape I dont really see how they can give the character a fitting end that wouldnt ruin her. Either she has to be dead, in a mental state where she simply cant be part of:funny: the fight, or unable to suit up.

I still think if they ever find the real Bruce Wayne alive and well it creates that same problem with him. Infact the only thing I can think that makes sense for Bruce us if he’s become the new Demons head like he did in Superman Batman Generations.

Kate though, if she’s alive and well. I just don’t know, maybe they could have it so she’s got amnesia or something and has a new life?I just don’t know. I’d hate to be the writer who has to figure it out :funny:

I think the easy out for Bruce is that he's gravely injured somewhere, and will take a long time to get back into fighting shape. There's plenty of precedence for this in the comics, and they've already suggested in Crisis that Future!Bruce may require a fancy exo-suit to get around, so something like that is just the logical route to go, imo.

Kate's a bit trickier. She was either in that explosion, or she wasn't. If she was, then she's almost certainly dead. Like, she wasn't "injured" or anything, because Ryan was there immediately after it happened, and there was no trace of her to be found. If she wasn't in the explosion, then she deliberately faked her death, and is otherwise fine, which poses a lot of problems. I mean, we know Ruby isn't coming back, so short of her getting a Hush-esque face transplant to be played by someone else, the character's better off staying dead, imo. Especially as we know they wouldn't dare replace Ryan/Javicia now, so Kate Kane's never gonna be Batwoman again.

I still think if they ever find the real Bruce Wayne alive and well it creates that same problem with him. Infact the only thing I can think that makes sense for Bruce us if he’s become the new Demons head like he did in Superman Batman Generations.

Kate though, if she’s alive and well. I just don’t know, maybe they could have it so she’s got amnesia or something and has a new life?I just don’t know. I’d hate to be the writer who has to figure it out :funny:

Bruce is pretty simple, if he ever comes back, he can easily have a Batsuit they didnt know about and continue to be Batman. Gotham is [supposed to be] a pretty big city where there are room enough for more than 1 vigilante. As far as them using his Batcave? well...they just have to move out lol

I do find it very interesting that Kate was looking at a Jack Napier painting in connection Safiyah.

Bruce is pretty simple, if he ever comes back, he can easily have a Batsuit they didnt know about and continue to be Batman. Gotham is [supposed to be] a pretty big city where there are room enough for more than 1 vigilante. As far as them using his Batcave? well...they just have to move out lol

Haha only thing is I don’t think Dc would let them use Bruce for more than an appearance here or there so I think if he’s injured and gets better he’ll have to have something bigger to deal with that means he can’t be in Gotham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"