Batwoman Episode 02/09 - "Rule #1"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Scheduled airdate: March 28, 2021

Synopsis:

THE CHOICES WE MAKE - Batwoman (Javicia Leslie) confronts Gotham's biggest foe, while new information forces those closest to Kate to make some difficult decisions. Ryan's feelings for Angelique (guest star Bevin Bru) puts her partnership with Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Mary (Nicole Kang) at risk, while Alice (Rachel Skarsten) goes on a warped walk down memory lane. Also starring Dougray Scott and Meagan Tandy. Directed by Michael Blundell; written by Nancy Kiu and Maya Houston.

Promo:

More talk about 'defund the police,' huh? Christ, I thought Supergirl laid it on thick, but Christ. At least Black Lightning can, for the most part, insert recent political themes and messaging and feel somewhat organic.

It was an ok episode but I can't tell if its COVID or the writers just not knowing how to bring Gotham to life. Likely both.

I love that Sophies sister finally shows up even though we never heard of her and she sure seemed like an only child last season...but she notices Angeliques tiny bracelet that I cant even make out on my 50" tv lol.

Jacob Kane has a supervillian for a daughter, Batwoman as a daughter, and a step daughter who runs an underground medical center (and works for Batwoman) yet he is so boring.

Sophie has had this "im trying to get the Crows together from the inside" storyline since the beginning of the season, did they forget abou it? Only to have her sister remind her about it.

I wish the recast was just a straight up recast. This show does way to much face swapping as if it's like a simple surgery.

More talk about 'defund the police,' huh? Christ, I thought Supergirl laid it on thick, but Christ. At least Black Lightning can, for the most part, insert recent political themes and messaging and feel somewhat organic.

Yeah, there was a bit of speechifying there. But a) it didn’t last long. And b) the show’s principals weren’t the ones preaching. Rather, and more naturally, it was secondary opposing characters representing opposing points of view. Such a structure (IMO) makes a difference in terms of how clumsy or didactic the dialogue feels. Supergirl, OTOH, was rather more ham-fisted about its politics. (At least it used to be. It’s dialed back more recently.)

This episode (to me) seemed like an improvement. To some extent, the showrunners are still climbing out of a hole that they dug for themselves. But now that they’re off that catchall Arrowverse island :ebr: and setting up the return of KK, things felt a bit fresher and more focused.

I do love Ryan and Mary's relationship. It is great to have the great supporting cast to have an actor they can have actually act with. So far, liking Black Mask. A bit of a surprise in motivation, but still pretty fun it seems. Look forward to seeing more of him.

I did laugh at the writers calling out the shippers, though. That was great.

I like how they totally just ignore the cliffhanger of Ryan dying at the end of the last episode. We start this episode and shes back in the batcave, good to go.

So no one got the 1960s vibe from Batwoman strapped down about the be cut in half scene?

So no one got the 1960s vibe from Batwoman strapped down about the be cut in half scene?

A bit. But that campy allusion was somewhat subverted when the other fellow was actually and gruesomely cut in half. :wow:

Speaking of Batman '66 silliness: when the villains had Bats or Robin subdued, they never seemed interested in removing masks and discovering secret identities. Missed opportunity, IMO.

Same deal with this episode of Batwoman. :hehe:

We've seen so little of them, I sometimes forget the GCPD is even a thing on this show.

So Wallis Day was never shown as Batwoman at the end of the episode? I thought when she was cast it was for the end of this one and would debut. Otherwise it could be anyone in the bandages without needing to even be an actress.

So Wallis Day was never shown as Batwoman at the end of the episode? I thought when she was cast it was for the end of this one and would debut. Otherwise it could be anyone in the bandages without needing to even be an actress.

The bandages are going to be removed eventually. They revealed Kate was alive so might as well reveal who'll be playing her. She'll likely show up in the last 5-6 episodes.

I mean, they seem to be making her an enforcer for Black Mask, so she is probably going to be masked for the next few episodes. You would need to do some indepth research into the production to figure out when Day will actually show up.

I mean, they seem to be making her an enforcer for Black Mask, so she is probably going to be masked for the next few episodes. You would need to do some indepth research into the production to figure out when Day will actually show up.

Or just go by the Paps would photograph her arriving in Vancouver lol

They could've kept her casting a surprise instead of revealing it so early ahead of when she'll even debut.

And if her face is burnt off then how will she get a new face? Those aren't early reconstructed into someone like Wallis Day. Will Alice be the one to give her a new face?

No, the reveal was absolutely a PR move with how the episode was written. The writers would have been roasted alive, for going on and on about how they are not killing Kate Kane to avoid bury your gays, and then to have that episode come out. They essentially undermined their own writing.

They could've kept her casting a surprise instead of revealing it so early ahead of when she'll even debut.

And if her face is burnt off then how will she get a new face? Those aren't early reconstructed into someone like Wallis Day. Will Alice be the one to give her a new face?

Im sure Alice isnt the only one with the gift of refacing. They'll likely give her some dead girls face who doesnt need it anymore.

Wallis has been in Vancouver so she's definitely been filming already
Exlq01BU8AANSFY

Is Wallis Day even a lesbian? Not that I care as I think a straight actress can play the role but would others complain if she isn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"