Episode 1: Glorious Purpose (Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'LOKI' started by DarthSkywalker, Jun 9, 2021.

1. ScarlettW Civilian

out of the character, he should have died or lost the serum, or whatever ****, would be better than going back in time. lazy and poorly written ending. MCU always play safe. mischaracterized the whole character, unless they want to confirm that he was pretending to be something, a liar like Tony said.

2. Drizzle Avenger

I enjoyed the first episode. It definitely is starting out a bit slow but it's always a blast watching Hiddleston as Loki. I really enjoyed seeing Loki react to what becomes of him in the main timeline.

KaijuDude1992 and TheVileOne like this.
  3. Dr. Evil Eternal

That was a fun episode.

Miss Minutes is my new favorite character.

KaijuDude1992 and Kev4000 like this.
  4. Kev4000 Sidekick

You can hear Miss Minutes in the last 10 seconds of the credits, she is asking you about your opinion :D

That was my least favorite show in hype but wow, the premier was just awesome. Hiddleston on point! I was really hoping he saw his own death. Gugu and Wilson are great in there roles, I also adore the whole atmosphere in the TVA.

KaijuDude1992 and Iceman like this.
  5. Dr. Evil Eternal

Gugu played her part well. I am hoping the finale isn't going to be hampered by COVID-19 restrictions as WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier were.

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This was a very inventive first episode and I will be glad to dive into this new section of the MCU. Also it was good to see Loki watching back parts of his life, proving that his family does/did matter to him regardless of how he suppresses it.

7. First Avenger Superhero

Wonderful première. Definately feeling the Rick and Morty influence by Waldron, loved the cast especially Tom and Owen, the cinematography and music also slay. Kudos to Marvel Studios for how varied the D+ series have been so far.

MessiahDecoy123 and Iceman like this.
  8. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

If the rest of the show is this good, then this will usurp Wandavision as best D+ show so far, and be possibly top 5 MCU. This first episode was basically perfect.

9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, if it maintains this quality it has a good shot.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  10. Another_Fool Sidekick

Great first episode. I've always been a big sucker for whenever we see Loki's love for Odin and Frigga overwhelm him, so of course I loved this episode.

Another thing. I suppose this episode essentially confirms post-Endgame Steve Rogers was always in the same timeline and was always Peggy's husband.

KaijuDude1992 and Iceman like this.
  11. Fosterson Sidekick

Colour me as one who was infuriated and frustrated by this opening episode. To start with, the revelation that everything we've seen up until this point was pre-destined to happen by alien space-lizard lords completely ruins the stakes of the universe. It doesn't mean anything now that Tony changed from being a selfish arms dealer to a hero willing to lay down his life to save the universe, or that Cap chose to miss his dance with Peggy in order to save the world from Hydra, since neither of them ever had any control over their destiny. They were pawns on a multiversal chessboard being pushed around with no agency of their own.

And furthermore, the gag about the Infinity Stones in the drawer was downright insulting. We spent ten years being hyped up about the Stones and Thanos getting them, experiencing the Snap and then the efforts of the Avengers to bring everyone back, including Natasha's sacrifice. But its all meaningless now since we know some nerd had MULTIPLE of each stones in his desk the whole time.

Pity no one told Natasha.

Feige just can't help himself from destroying the stakes of his universe.

chesslover and Flash525 like this.
  12. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I thought this was easily the best episode so far of D+ (but I might be forgetting one). I thought WV sort of meandered too long at the beginning and I found it annoying. Tom Hiddleston just kills it constantly. Loki is rising as one of my favorite Marvel characters.

13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

That’s really not what I got from it. This is more like knowing the future and correcting aberrations. They wouldn’t be intervening to make what they want to happen happen, just whatever is needed to keep the multiverse stable. All those who did heroic deeds would be just as heroic as before.

14. Fosterson Sidekick

Ok, so would Thor have been melted if he didn't play Fortnite and shout at NoobMaster?

15. Dr. Evil Eternal

I liked the use of archival footage from Loki's previous MCU appearances to further explore this story.

Lencho01, InCali, Kev4000 and 2 others like this.
  16. KaijuDude1992 Superhero

A really solid premiere episode and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. Really loving the different almost 60/70's aesthetic of this show so far which definitely feels unique compared to the past Marvel shows, but seeing Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson interact was easily the biggest highlight of the episode for me honestly.

They have already established a pretty awesome dynamic between those two and I swear Hiddleston has never been better in this role. The man can pretty much sleepwalk and still put in a great A effort, but damn him going back and watching those emotional scenes between him and his family with it all leading up to his death at the hands of Thanos kind of wrecked of me, especially seeing his reaction to it.

17. Dr. Evil Eternal

Speaking of Hiddleston, I think he would kill it in a Wes Anderson film.

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ha, to me it seems like the future is already known here and when people tamper with it it can cause the issues covered in that video (multiverse instability/wars). Also as long as people don’t know there are agents protecting these timelines it doesn’t make any differences to their decisions to be heroic or not when the time comes.

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, that worked really well. We saw aspects of his character that have been suppressed as he saw his family and it was also interesting him seeing his own death.

20. Donner Formerly Elektra1 (she/her/hers)

Colour me intrigued.

21. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Fun first episode and I think it'll only get better.

22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

They’ve got off to a great start and Wilson/Hiddleston are going to be very entertaining together.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  23. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

I don't think it necessarily does (note - the following is just my opinion, how I see things and how I'm reconciling things with what this show revealed, I may change my thoughts if additional episodes and/or the Doctor Strange movie (since it will be dealing with the Multiverse) provide further information/clarification - feel free to disagree, I won't be offended if you do ;) ). I still believe that Steve created an alternate branch and - with the information we now have - I think the TVA allowed it because he was meant to do it, even if only for the fact that Steve needed to pass the mantle and a new shield to Sam so he could become Captain America. That once old!Steve returned to the original timeline at the very end of Endgame, the TVA may have gone to the branch where he'd been living and 'reset it' (we know they did this to the alternate 2012, they probably also did it to the alternate 2014 where Thanos and his army ceased to exist because they traveled to the main timeline and were killed - timelines that were so severely altered that even Steve returning the stones as closely as possible to the moment they were taken wouldn't 'clip' the branches). Steve still has his memories of it and of his life that he had there with Peggy, but in reality it may no longer exist.

As I said, that's just the way I see it right now (and I hope I made sense, apologies if I didn't.... it's been a day)

#48 Silvermoon, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  24. Web-Head Up, up and away

Wasn't crazy about this episode, but enjoyed the groundwork it laid. I think it'll get better once things actually pick up though.

I might have to watch this episode again before next week and see if I get a better feel for it. A lot seemed to happen in the 50 minutes but at the same time, very little? Ah well, I'm sure I'll like the next several episodes more.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  25. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Whilst I enjoyed the episode, I absolutely hate the concept that there is one timeline that's essentially been predetermined, which as stated before me, means that the stakes our heroes go through has been all but planned from day one, and was always destined to happen.

Why then does Loki escape? How is it that time plays out almost perfectly except until the point at which Loki escapes? What went wrong with the big plan then?

I was hoping the timeline element would be similar in concept to Doctor Who wherein certain events must happen, but other events can change and have no bearing on the overall timeline, that was small changes can happen and work, leaving only the larger changes that need to be fixed.

This entire concept is just lazy writing to me; a form of convenience.

Thanos was destined to invade and wipe out half the universe so the avengers could go back in time, restore their future and Steve could also get his happy ever after? Please! That's BS.

But those deeds would have already been decided on as happening. By having a predetermined timeline, there's seemingly no free will - except with Loki who somehow managed to escape the loop.

Fosterson, Dark Raven and Web-Head like this.