Arrow Episode 13: Betrayal Rate&Review Thread

Yeah, I'm not sure I 100% like it but I think it's obvious as to what's going to happen. The deathstroke mask we saw in the pilot is defo not slade's.

Like I said over in the Deathstroke thread. I believe that mask is Slade's, I think that is what was the result of the fight between Oliver and Slade. If you remember the mask had an arrow through the eye of the blue side which is Slade's blind eye.
So I feel that Slade and Ollie are fine now but something comes between them they fight and Ollie puts an arrow in his eye.

It reminds me of a panel in Identity Crisis, after Deathstroke basically handed the Justice League their butts Ollie stuck an arrow in Slade's bad eye. A few pages later Ollie is on a rooftop and the "camera angle" is giving us first person view and they show a glass window with Ollie standing there plus Deathstroke and when Ollie saw this and turned around he was gone all that was left was his mask with an arrow in the bad eye, and a note saying this is yours until next time.

Excellent episode, the guy who plays Deathstroke NAILED it, he acted like an Australian version of Kano but more human and less of a jackass. great stuff !!

He's just going to interrogate her but the whole line "you have failed this city" has been used repeatedly by him against someone he knows is guilty. Also did he really need to bust through a window and take out the guards, couldn't he have just come out of the shadows somewhere when she's alone.

Then again I understand its just to be dramatic. He has to say some cool line and swing through a window.

Yeah, terrible, your idea is so much better! :whatever:

We could nitpick the genre and its tropes the whole day, like GA, Batman (among others) escaping death time after time, incompetent villains, shooters, etc. It doesn't really make sense, but it is what it is.

Anyway, easily one of the best episodes of the season, Manu Bennett did a great job as Slade. It should be pretty interesting to see how him and Oliver survived the whole thing, plus the evolution of the main plot with the Queen family and its consequences, the best is yet to come! :word:

Last edited:
Also did he really need to bust through a window and take out the guards, couldn't he have just come out of the shadows somewhere when she's alone.

He could have. But he wanted answers, and there is no better way to get them than to scare the absolute **** out of the person. Sure she knows he dangerous from the news stories. But seeing it in person gives her more reason to tell the truth.

He could have. But he wanted answers, and there is no better way to get them than to scare the absolute **** out of the person. Sure she knows he dangerous from the news stories. But seeing it in person gives her more reason to tell the truth.

Agreed. People under duress or in mortal danger are more likely to spill the beans (whether at gunpoint or, in this case, arrowpoint :oldrazz:) than in a casual conversation.

Terrific episode. That ending...

I can't wait for Wilson to completely become Deathstroke.

Great episode.The ending........:exp:

The introduction of Slade was excellent.I'm not sure I buy that there are "two" Deathstrokes any more than Ollie seemed to.

I'm also not sure I buy that security guy letting Dig off with a flimsy excuse.Merlyn and this "organization" seem to want to kill anyone who so much as sneezes in their direction.

Great action.I enjoyed Vanch,(kinda reminded me of "Pike".The villain created for the Flash series.) but I still dream of a day when the villains are treated like more than a glorified Mcguffen.

For all the talk of Batman similarities,the end reminded me of Spider-Man 2.("I know there'll be risks",the hero watching her embracing a concerned, innocent BF,whom she really has little interest in,etc)

All in all,this one was a winner.9/10

One of the things I really love about this show is its momentum; the status quo is always changing.

My only real complaint is that they made a point out of leaving this bad-guy alive, but they still kill off Deadshot and Firefly. Is there something wrong with the comic book bad guys?

One of the things I really love about this show is its momentum; the status quo is always changing.

My only real complaint is that they made a point out of leaving this bad-guy alive, but they still kill off Deadshot and Firefly. Is there something wrong with the comic book bad guys?

In regards to one of the villains that you had mentioned

Deadshot is not dead and I believe he's schedule to come back with China White (Kelly Hu's character) in a later episode.

Ratings for last night were good and I'm glad cause it was just that. Good stuff all around! Things continue to come together and I liked this version of Slade. Two guys wearing the Deathstroke mask is an interesting idea and yet another thing to look forward to.

Ollie taking out all those guards was DEFINITELY his most badass moment yet. Wicked ending as well. :up:

I wasn't a fan of this weeks central story, the flashbacks with "Slade" and Ollie were good and Diggle's stuff with Moira was decent but The Vanch plot was weak and featured two amateurish action sequences.

He's just going to interrogate her but the whole line "you have failed this city" has been used repeatedly by him against someone he knows is guilty. Also did he really need to bust through a window and take out the guards, couldn't he have just come out of the shadows somewhere when she's alone.

Then again I understand its just to be dramatic. He has to say some cool line and swing through a window.

I thought that was an odd way to approach his mother as well, I mean he was still conflicted so I didn't think he'd go into full scare the **** out of her mode.

I did find it weird that they kept Malcolm's voice a secret.

I didn't understand that since Diggle was recording the conversation and both were talking in their normal voices in the room......was he sitting in a voice modifying version of the cone of silence? :woot:

I didn't understand that since Diggle was recording the conversation and both were talking in their normal voices in the room......was he sitting in a voice modifying version of the cone of silence? :woot:

Yeah, it made me laugh. I thought if the writers really felt it was crucial that Ollie didn't find out Malcolm was involved yet, then maybe that shouldn't have been the conversation they wrote for him to hear.

Great episode all-around, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens with the 2 Deathstrokes'.
Also that ending, I kept waiting for Moira to recognize Oliver as the hood.

I'm thinking Malcolm, being the secretive business man he is, probably had some sort of voice frequency changer thingy in his jacket so no one had proof of eavesdropping. It just screws up the signal for himself.

USE YOUR IMAGINATION GUYS

I thought that was an odd way to approach his mother as well, I mean he was still conflicted so I didn't think he'd go into full scare the **** out of her mode.

The voices were distorted by the wall and ( maybe ) the recording device wasn't top quality.

Slade is Crixus from Spartacus.

Nice episode, things are progressing.

Did not like that Oliver does not realize the number of Arrows he has, yea just starting out but thats still sloppy.
I took it that was part of Ollie's plan to get inside.That's why he took Lance with him,because he knew he'd need help/be out of ammo by the time he got inside.

I don't think Ollie's that Green.
:rimshot:

Last edited:
Agreed. People under duress or in mortal danger are more likely to spill the beans (whether at gunpoint or, in this case, arrowpoint :oldrazz:) than in a casual conversation.
You also have to remember,if anyone is likely to recognize him,it would be his mother.(Also,she's aware Ollie's been snooping about "the book")So there's no reason to give her cause to suspect him of being "The Hood".Hence,it made sense to distract her by trying to scare the dickens out of her.

I think one of the things that impressed me the most from this episode was Amell's acting for the scene where Oliver was begging for his life to Slade while being tied to a chair. First time that I had ever seen this version of Oliver convey that much fear and desperation in his voice and expression, which just makes on how he ended up becoming the person that he his now even more great.

I was disappointed with the ending. It didn't meet the hype IMO. The Slade stuff was good though. I liked it.

The voices were distorted by the wall and ( maybe ) the recording device wasn't top quality.

Moira's voice sounded clear to me...Malcolm's sounded like his Dark Archer's voice lol. Hope there's explanation in a future episode (like there was with the blank pages that have the names). Someone on the show's IMDB board theorized maybe Malcolm is aware of corporate espionage and carries a distorter...something like that lol

What an episode, probably the best of the whole series.There was something about this episode that was almost movie quality, this made it stand out from the rest if the episodes so far. Not only were the Island flashbacks superb yet again but so was the main story. It probably helps that I hated the villain Cyrus so much cause its the same guy who I couldn't stand on Vampire Diaries (this is definitely a compliment).

Oliver's struggle of believing his Mother was involved with all the bad stuff going on was really interesting. Diggles investigation of Moirai was one of the best parts of this episode.

So Slades not a villain? Or he's lying? Interesting either way

Lastly WHAT AN ENDING!

All in all just a fantastic episode not a ton of action but enough. Best episode of the series.

10 out of 10

Just a few things before my post to things I read. Oliver DID know exactly the number of arrows he had, which is why he enlisted the help of Dinah's dad. And the Deathstroke reveal doesn't mean the mask we saw wasn't Slade's. I'll go into that in a bit.

So this was one of the best episodes so far because it accomplished so much.

- Laurel was shown to be a capable fighter and also put in a position where she sees vigilante = helping someone and police = bad.

- Tommy was set on a path against "the hood guy"

- Manu's reveal was interesting, although I had predicted it to be pretty much what it was from teasers and interviews. it was still very well done. We already knew the second Deathstroke was a capable fighter and now we know he is Deathstroke's equal, and has a bond with the character. While I expect Manu to be the "present day" deathstroke, he may well still lose his eye and his mask, and don the black and orange. While other deathstroke may die on the island, his existence makes for a whole load of exciting possibilities. Bennett's acting was immense and adds a heap of credibility to this show not always known for its acting.

- Vanch was actually quite cool and shows they can make their own villains. The 24 arrows thing shows the meticulous planner they had claimed him to be. He strikes me as someone who would be good in future villain pair ups, and importantly, he did not die.

- Digg showed himself to be able to see the things Oliver can't see and do the things Oliver can't do. He wouldn't rest until Oliver saw the truth.

- We got a name of Malcolm's organisation, various articles are referring to "The Undertaking" in regards to future episodes.

- "Moira Queen, you have wronged this city" was the most epic line in the season so far, only a few minutes after "Slade Wilson", the second most epic line in the season so far.

Overall there was so much character development, detective Lance too and gave a little break from Thea which I think some viewers probably needed. This is a 10/10 from me. Wasn't a whole lot happened, but it sets up so so much.

Last edited:
anyone think that girl cop who was an old friend of Ollie's was the mole

OK...so...who was the villain in this episode? And I don't mean Deathstroke...he's obvious because of the mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"