Episode 2: "The Rabbit Hole"

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Speed Force, Oct 13, 2019.

?

What did you think?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

12.5%
  4. 7

37.5%
  5. 6

37.5%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

12.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Speed Force Goober

Official description

[​IMG]

2. Speed Force Goober

That's one way to hide the choreography :funny:

3. NotNickFury Registered

I think that might be the most recent Wonder Woman name drop or reference we've gotten on Earth 1 since we went to Themyscira on Legends, or at least since Helen of Troy showed up in the finale from Themyscira to help out.

Lencho01 and flickchick85 like this.
  4. Speed Force Goober

Felt like this was a little bit better than the pilot. Ruby still seemed a little wooden, but the narration wasn't as bad and the first fight sequence was pretty well done.

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah, I too thought it was a minor improvement over the pilot. Minor.

The dynamic between the (3) sisters has some potential, imo. Ruby's still got a long way to go, though. The other two are mostly fine. "Alice" is better when she's not trying to to dial up the crazy.

Lencho01 and Babillygunn like this.
  6. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

The second episode would be the second half of the pilot movie.

Lots of plot twists in this more than the pilot. Another good episode.

7. Thome216 Registered

I though it was not as good as the first, but still enjoyable. I am liking this show, but I wish all the secrets were not just suddenly 'out there' so quickly. I would rather they had taken the necessary time to work them in, but considering they are probably coming to a time-jump before Crisis, I can see them needing to get it all out.

The narration was better this episode, esp knowing that it is her talking into the journal and I really liked the scene under water. Very well done. Also agree that Alice is better when she isn't winding up the crazy. Act it, don't play it.

Also glad she hasn't gotten her wig on yet.Ideally, I would have loved for them to keep the batsuit in the cave for three or four episodes and play Kate Kane as being a good detective before cracking heads.

#7 Thome216, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  8. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It was ok but I just am not feeling these flashbacks. We don't really need constant flashbacks to how Kate and her father dealt with the "death" of Alice and the mom/wife, the characters should be able to exude that themselves during the present. We didn't start out with flashbacks in Arrow to try to tell us how Quentin/Laurel were dealing with Sarahs death, we saw them deal with the pain and work through it, that is what Batwoman needs to learn.

The relationship between Kate/Alice is also ok but it has been a bit rushed I feel and while I commend them for not dragging out the reveal that Alice is Kates sister, it may be a bit detrimental to the show if we spend a full season of this back/forth with them.

While they are putting plenty of focus on the Kane family, they are neglecting the "step" side of the family and how they feel as a whole. I don't remember if Kates father is still married to whatshername...but if they are...it feels non-existent. Along with Kates fathers relationship with his step daughter and Kate with her step mother.

The step sister is by far the most enjoyable character on the show though.

9. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    I was surprised how boring and uneventful this felt. Things happened, but it felt like the pilot's issue of handling things in the most mundane way dialed up a bit. All the characters with the last name Kane feel pretty mishandled so far. The others are varying degrees of fine or even pretty enjoyable depending on who we're talking about. Except for the weird evil Crow boyfriend guy they've stuck in there. He's not good.

They really need to lay off the filter with this. While it's less distracting in a lot of the night scenes, moments like the opening explosion and the park at the end are incredibly distracting. The explosion lacks a lot of punch, while the park scene makes it difficult to tell what time of day it is.

Looking at the preview for next week, they really love ending these previews with noting she's not Batman, huh?

I've got this thought in mind with Alice. I'm not sure if it'll pan out, but with the way they clearly want to lean into the Batman connections as hard as they can, changing the origin to be run off the road during a Joker plot, making Kate's dynamic with Batman (as underwritten as this element was) tied up in that specific moment, cutting out the group involved in Alice's origin and instead giving her one seemingly built around her, part of me wonders if they're going to just give her the origin of the Arkham Knight once they decide to go into the gap between the car accident and now. It just feels like a natural extension of the way they've approached integrating Batman stuff into the show. They already basically gave her one of his monologues, just about being trapped in the car.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  10. famicommander Registered

Now I'm gonna be twice as bummed if there's no Wonder Woman in the Crisis. They can't tease us like that and not pay it off.

11. Frodo Registered

I liked this one much more than the pilot. While I can go with Alice in concept , in execution, she's still too much like a character on Gotham acting wise , so she's really not that much of a threat. The actress is fine, but I just don't dig the direction she's given. It's a bit too campy for my taste.

That said, I can put that aspect aside and respect what they're trying to go for with her relationship with Kate.

I think the step sister is pretty cute, but that's me.

12. Mani-Man Registered

Episode two felt better to me, the flow was nicer and the "nolan lite" style was a bit better.
    When she was driving through the city on the bike, it looked nice imo.
    The flashbacks dont work...at all to me.
    Ruby is still a bit wodden but not as much as before...seems like she could grow into the role over time.

It is still too CW for my taste and im not sure if i can loose this mindset.
    I was just expecting something more unique and better for Batwomans first live action appearance.
    Im thinking that she would have worked well for a different network instead of being CWed.

We will see, im still not sure if i will keep up the show but the potential was shown more in this second episode.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  13. Dr. From parts unknown

I find Alice to be quite engaging (at least so far). Skarsten delivers a nicely layered version of the psychopath - especially in the calmer, quieter moments. Of course, she goes over-the-top in the louder moments. But this is standard supervillain stuff and a genre staple, no? Or is a grounded/realistic villain the new normal? (If so, the rest of the Arrowverse hasn’t gotten the memo. :cwink:)

In terms of being a serious “threat,” Alice’s gang has already murdered several people. (And it seems likely that Alice, herself, did the deed on that elderly couple). But we don’t yet know what Alice’s ultimate endgame is. On the one hand, she’s got a maniacal antipathy towards Kate and Jacob. On the other, she’s had the chance to kill Kate - and did not. :shrug:

#13 Dr., Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  14. NotNickFury Registered

Oh, and our first nod to Robin in any form in the Arrowverse so far. Wonder which one it could be. Beyond Dick, Tim, or, maybe, Jason, perhaps it could be Damian (if we want to bring in the League of Assassins so soon after Gotham used them) or even Carrie Kelley.

Lencho01 likes this.
  15. Frodo Registered

If you like it ,fair enough. It's not my taste. Clearly she's supposed to be a threat in the context of the show ,but I personally don't find her as threatening because of her camp style. It's nothing against the actress . You find how the character is portrayed as engaging, that's good, then the show accomplished that for you. Again , if you like that ,that's good, it works for you.

Its not my bag. I can only speak for my own taste, not anyone else's. It just doesn't click with me. We see it differently, and that's okay.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Alice . That aside, I liked episode two alot more than one.

16. Scarlet Spider Registered

I'm glad they're continuing to shoot exteriors in Chicago. Gotham looks good. Hopefully, it'll continue.

17. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Liked it more than the pilot, but then again, Ruby Rose wasn't carrying the episode quite as much.

Lencho01 likes this.
  18. Dr. From parts unknown

No worries. :toth And I'm not claiming that Alice is one of the great alltime villains. Just that... given the role as written, Skarsten's performance is entertaining.

Babillygunn likes this.
  19. Frodo Registered

Yeah. I love the vibe of TDK trilogy with Chicago as Gotham.

20. WhoMani Registered

I thought this was alright and the fight sequences were actually solid. Someone mentioned that Alice feels like a characer from th Gotham tv show and I agree with that. Its weird that she's so campy which doesn't work as the show is trying to be serious and dark.

I like both Luke and Mary not because of how they're written but due to fact the actors themselves were actually good. Sophie and Kate don't really any chemistry, I can't buy that they've dated each other as they feel more like old acquaintances than former lovers. Ruby Rose is still wooden but she's a little more emotive and I wish they get rid of the monotone narration like how Arrow did in early season one.

#20 WhoMani, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  21. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I am just kind of over of the lead loving someone else who is attached to someone else. This is the third Arrowverse to lead with this trope. Just kind of sick of it.

22. Mani-Man Registered

Yeah and it makes me worried that they pull other CW bull**** in this one too.
    They could do so much with this, there is no need to follow the CW format 100%

23. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Yawn. I sat through this and I just couldn’t immerse myself in the episode. Ruby’s wooden acting remains, and I couldn’t care less about the flashbacks; we’ve had that theme in the Arrowverse before, as mentioned above between Quentin and Laurel when Sara died.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Themyscira might exist on Earth-1, but there’s nothing to say Wonder Woman does.

I suspect Kate’s reference to Wonder Woman was similar to Anissa's reference to Supergirl in Black Lightning. A mere easter egg. If Diana was a thing on Earth-1, pretty sure a good portion of heroes would be aware of her by now.

24. NotNickFury Registered

At the same time, clearly Batman's been around for a long time in the Arrowverse, but we didn't get any concrete references to him on Earth-1 until the Arrow Bruce Wayne name-drop and, building on that, going to Gotham City in Elseworlds. Even if those other heroes do exist out there, the shows don't necessarily have to acknowledge them. Or they may not be able to because of some embargo, like how we didn't see Superman until Season 2 of Supergirl.

25. famicommander Registered

Maybe Wonder Woman has been inactive for a long period of time and has become something of a myth or legend like Batman himself.