Supergirl Episode 3.02 "Triggers" (SPOILERS)

It's a symbiotic relationship between the actors and writers. Because the actors are so good the writers give them more challenging material. The actors in turn challenge the writers to produce more nuanced material.

American teens especially girls but boys too do hug thier parents in public. At 12 Ruby should absolutely know better than to intentionally put herself in danger like she did, that bugged me. She should be punished for that behavior as well as hitting the other girl in school.

At 12 yes, she should know better, and did know better she intentionally put herself in danger so she could prove that her mom had superpowers. So yes, she knew better but at 12, that part of the brain that knows the full consequences of the actions we take is no where near developed, in fact it is the last area of the brain to develop and develops a bit sooner for girls than boys. So really she was pretty much acting stupid like 12 year olds do. I taught 12 year olds for 2 years. They do some pretty dumb things. :( ESPECIALLY when they are acting out for attention, which was part of that as well.

I don't want Reign to be the villain. I like Samantha. She seems like a nice girl and a good mother. Maybe Psi can be the big bad instead and Reign can just be either a supermom or a hero. She seems like she could've headlined a show herself. And Odette Anabel is hot too.

At 12 yes, she should know better, and did know better she intentionally put herself in danger so she could prove that her mom had superpowers. So yes, she knew better but at 12, that part of the brain that knows the full consequences of the actions we take is no where near developed, in fact it is the last area of the brain to develop and develops a bit sooner for girls than boys. So really she was pretty much acting stupid like 12 year olds do. I taught 12 year olds for 2 years. They do some pretty dumb things. :( ESPECIALLY when they are acting out for attention, which was part of that as well.
Ok, I conceded the point to the teacher.:grin:

The lesson here is kids are morons.

Yeah. Its a really dumb, transparently manipulative subplot, and thus goes over like a lead balloon. I've yet to see any reason to care about the Reign subplot.

Which is, admittedly, a step up from the main plot, where Kara is acting absolutely terribly, to everyone, and especially to Lena. Losing a loved one is *not* a valid excuse for treating everyone else like crap. The fact that they simultaneously want to play up Kara as the Bestest At Everything Ever, and yet *still* have her demeaned and reduced by her relationship with a, frankly, terrible boyfriend? Ugh. Hooking up with Mon-El has literally done nothing but diminish her as a character.

Yeah. Its a really dumb, transparently manipulative subplot, and thus goes over like a lead balloon. I've yet to see any reason to care about the Reign subplot.

Which is, admittedly, a step up from the main plot, where Kara is acting absolutely terribly, to everyone, and especially to Lena. Losing a loved one is *not* a valid excuse for treating everyone else like crap. The fact that they simultaneously want to play up Kara as the Bestest At Everything Ever, and yet *still* have her demeaned ahnd reduced by her relationship with a, frankly, terrible boyfriend? Ugh. Hooking up with Mon-El has literally done nothing but diminish her as a character.
Kara isn't treating Lena bad, she is horrible at lying and trying to keep her identity a secret from Lena. Kara has made it very clear that she doesn't blame Lena, and her desire to keep her identity from Lena has nothing to do with her losing someone.

And are we even watching the same show ? This show has done more in showing the flaws of the hero then many shows out there that's one of the mainstays of the series is that Kara is flawed and how she works through those things .

Last edited:
Do you like wait and see what everyone else likes and then go the total opposite. LOL For most everyone the elevator scene was the plot hole, and the acting was off the charts. Most everyone loved Psi and want her to come back you hate her. Pretty funny..... ;)

Sure it was a plot joke but it was a cool looking scene.

Psi was dreadful IMO. She was very one note.

Also I didn’t read a single thing on here before I wrote my review. I always write it as I’m watching then post and then look at what was posted.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't have the necessary experience, but from their representation on TV, it looks like that.

They aren't way off....lol

But it is true, that the last part of the brain to develop is that part that tells you there are consequences to the decision you are making. For girls that is usually fully developed by 18 -- 20, for guys, 22 -- 25, and some never develop it....lol So, if it looks like kids do a lot of moronic things, it is because they do, but biologically it is not a big surprise. :cwink:

Kara isn't treating Lena bad, she is horrible at lying and trying to keep her identity a secret from Lena. Kara has made it very clear that she doesn't blame Lena, and her desire to keep her identity from Lena has nothing to do with her losing someone.

And are we even watching the same show ? This show has done more in showing the flaws of the hero then many shows out there that's one of the mainstays of the series is that Kara is flawed and how she works through those things .

Every time Kara had to run out of the office or brush Lena off, it was because of the villain and not because she was depressed about Mon-El so I'm also not getting this whole "treating Lena badly" thing when as viewers, we understand how heroes act when they have double identities.

Well, considering Psi was already in the wind by the time she got airborne, I think it's safe to say Kara had time to go back for her belongings before anyone would be able to get into that broken elevator. Doesn't account for the elevator itself, but at least it accounts for the identity problem.

With the way she went out the top I was surprised she didn't send it crashing down the elevator shaft.

With the way she went out the top I was surprised she didn't send it crashing down the elevator shaft.

Maybe she did. That would solve the problem of anyone finding her belongings in the elevator. They should do a running joke about the elevator being out of order, like they do on The Big Bang Theory.

Maybe she did. That would solve the problem of anyone finding her belongings in the elevator. They should do a running joke about the elevator being out of order, like they do on The Big Bang Theory.

Oooooh, don't take that elevator, unless you like a sunroof.....LOL

Someone mentioned this before I couldn't figure out what they were talking about but now I just saw it if you go to the elevator scene right when the doors close and it's a camera angle from above down on Kara's iback.... whose reflection do you see in the door ? Cool but a little weird .

Who do you see, Kelly?

EDIT: Ok I just watched - are you suggesting that's a Supergirl reflection? If so, it's not, it's just the reflection of her big red purse giving off the illusion of a cape.

Last edited:
Who do you see, Kelly?

EDIT: Ok I just watched - are you suggesting that's a Supergirl reflection? If so, it's not, it's just the reflection of her big red purse giving off the illusion of a cape.

Oh, I know....after a few watches I figured that out as well. But, it was funny that it did look like Supergirl with her hands on her hips.

I’m a little late to the party, but this wasn’t a good episode for me.

As always, the Kara and Alex scenes were strong and I liked that they expanded upon Kara’s grief with her blaming herself for Mon-El’s assumed “death”.

But, the villain was pretty weak, even if I’m a fan of Petra. A normal person, gains powers, robs numerous banks for money. Then robs even more banks for even more money for ... reasons? Surely they could have come up with a better motivation than just wanting more millions in addition to her existing millions? And if the DEO knew so much about her, it suggested that she’d somehow been subdued before. That was a little fuzzy.

And goodness gracious. Single mums are awesome - I was raised by one myself, but Sam appears to be loaded. They live in a mansion and they have a nanny. But, her daughter wants her mum to work less and spend more time with her (said no 12 year old ever, but okay). So, instead of downsizing and taking a job with less hours and a smaller salary, Sam is now somehow deemed qualified by Lena Luthor of all people to run LCorp working much longer hours for apparently even more money than she already earns? I mean geez - that’s some awkwardly convenient plotting. If Sam was going to take over for Lena, then why not introduce her in the premier as Lena’s second in command - she could have been at the Morgan Edge meeting and at the statue reveal. It’s just really clumsy to me and I don’t know why Sam wants the job or why she’s considered suitable for the job (although from the size of her house, I guess she was a CEO somewhere else).

Not to mention - Lena abandoning LCorp to walk around CatCo doing ... stuff was bizarre. How about Lena buys CatCo, doesn’t think a former photographer should be running the entire company and hires media publisher / whatever Sam to take the reigns. Sam is the new boss, Jimmy goes back to being a photographer and works with Kara on stories and Lena spends more time at CatCo keeping an eye on Sam? After all of her hard work trying to turn Lex’s company around, I just can’t see Lena handing the reigns (no pun intended) to some random, new hire.

I just wish they’d work through some of the story beats a little better, including Kara having such a hard time taking down a psychic from a distance or a super speed punch to the face!

The set up for the end of Sanvers was kind of well done - sowing the seeds for a dealbreaker moment. The lack of care about a destroyed elevator shaft and the roof of the building was very poor writing, especially as Kara left her purse and other belongings behind (although I guess she could have quickly retrieved them before she left to confront Psi). They really needed some kind of throw away mention, especially since they highlighted the use of Cat’s personal elevator in the opening scenes.

The saving grace for me was Kara and Alex. The actors can make almost anything work, as they did in this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"