Supergirl Episode 3.05 "Damage" (SPOILERS)

I really don't like how they handled the Alex/Maggie breakup. So Alex, who the show never bothered to mention before a couple of episodes ago even wanted kids at all, is now so in need of having them that her fiancée not wanting them is enough to make her go "nope, this isn't going to work out?" Well you can tell that that was not planned out, because it comes across as really contrived.

The people chanting at Lena are idiots, pure and simple.

Speaking of which, the fact that Lena STILL apparently doesn't know that Kara is SG (when a guy last week who knew her for one episode found out) continues to be not believable at all.

I can totally believe it...why? because even if she had a little inclination that it was Kara, why in the world would her best friend not tell her? So, must just be a lookalike, because of course my BFF would tell me something that important.

Also, not writing a review or grading this one either. I'm just enjoying the ride of this season.

I will simply ff through the Maggie/Alex stuff when I rewatch and this will end up one of my fav episodes.
Yeah that's the stuff holding this episode back for me. There was just so much of it with one point - they're breaking up. One or two scenes could've gotten that point across just fine. But I get it, they were trying to let the Sanvers fans down as gently as possible. I just didn't care. So yeah, lots of fast-forwarding for me on re-watches.

Otherwise it would be a fave for me too. I still liked it way more than episode 3, lol.

I didn't, SG had move things that weighed more then those 2 parts but she couldn't hold to them?

SG looked like she was struggling to hold the pieces of the plane, but then her tight grip was also tearing it up even more so she couldn't simply let go for a tighter/better grip.

Also, I know I said I'd be fine if they went with James/Lena as long as the chemistry's there, but I'm sorry to say based on their interactions here and in the premiere...it ain't.

I really don't like how they handled the Alex/Maggie breakup. So Alex, who the show never bothered to mention before a couple of episodes ago even wanted kids at all, is now so in need of having them that her fiancée not wanting them is enough to make her go "nope, this isn't going to work out?" Well you can tell that that was not planned out, because it comes across as really contrived.

The people chanting at Lena are idiots, pure and simple.

Speaking of which, the fact that Lena STILL apparently doesn't know that Kara is SG (when a guy last week who knew her for one episode found out) continues to be not believable at all.
I had feeling this would happen and people would be ticked, I did see it coming though part of me wanted it avoided or to have ended it last season cause I'm sorry that's where it should have been stopped cause alex seem in a weird fast track and maggie wasn't inthe same mental state. plus there the near death experince ETC. but I've agreed with on alot minus a few things. butthe kid thing I'm inbeteen. it may have to do with maggies parent on her side but part of mea also agree it was some what of poor excuse. but like I said I'm split.
some should have brought alex down to earth last season. woman need to calm down. that was too big a jump in the relation ship in some ways. I'm sorry to say. they jumped right past the puppy dog they talked about too.

that said I'm not surprised and I haven't been talking that much on here cause I been busy with both work and one of my sister just had her fibroid operation yeaster . and she's fine. the fibroid was the size of base ball. she's recovering and she'll ne out in 3 days. the weird thing is one of my uncle's is now having chest pain the same day and we had to pick him up tonight too and get him checked out the rest of the week. man what a week.

So while I may have been posting. I just plain didn't have time for super girl at times or to talk on certain parts of the forum. alotcray thing always go down for me at once and it's like aflood.

I've also been watch fox's the gifted and have yet to say any thing on that even though there are elements there I like . I've just been busy.

Last edited:
Also, I know I said I'd be fine if they went with James/Lena as long as the chemistry's there, but I'm sorry to say based on their interactions here and in the premiere...it ain't.
I've never understood why the writers think that over type bickering makes for great couples. and mchad was so happy that his character was getting a new romatic interest.

Well we'll see where this goes

I had feeling this would happen and people would be ticked, I did see it coming though part of me wanted it avoided or to have ended it last season cause I'm sorry that's where it should have been stopped cause alex seem in a weird fast track and maggie wasn't inthe same mental state. plus there the near death experince ETC. but I've agreed with on alot minus a few things. butthe kid thing I'm inbeteen. it may have to do with maggies parent on her side but part of mea also agree it was some what of poor excuse. but like I said I'm split.
some should have brought alex down to earth last season. woman need to calm down. that was too big a jump in the relation ship in some ways. I'm sorry to say. they jumped right past the puppy dog they talked about too.

that said I'm not surprised and I haven't been talking that much on here cause I been busy with both work and one of my sister just had her fibroid operation yeaster . and she's fine. the fibroid was the size of base ball. she's recovering and she'll ne out in 3 days. the weird thing is one of my uncle's is now having chest pain the same day and we had to pick him up tonight too and get him checked out the rest of the week. man what a week.

So while I may have been posting. I just plain didn't have time for super girl at times or to talk on certain parts of the forum. alotcray thing always go down for me at once and it's like aflood.

I've also been watch fox's the gifted and have yet to say any thing on that even though there are elements there I like . I've just been busy.

Ah! Glad your sis is okay Zenith. And hope your uncle will be too.

I liked the episode except the Sanvers part. But.. Chyler was rather good in them I think.

I am so very surprised at the Sam story; as in how much I am liking it. I don't know if it is the actor or the story. A combination, may be.

But, I would like to Kara still spend time with Winn and James too.

Was J'onn there in this episode?

Also. Take away: Kara likes her sis, so wants others to have them too. (Am i the only person who felt that it was also a slight cue to ensure the show doesn't get tagged with gay baiting? Not that it is gay baiting.)

On the plane thing: If you were carrying the plane part the way she was, it is not just about her being able to carry the weight. It's also about the part itself needing the strength to hold together despite being pulled in different directions (Kara up and Gravity down). So, as far as physics is concerned, the plane part would have fallen off no matter how strong Kara was.

But, she catching Lena by the arm also has the same issue. So... yeah, there is that.

I hope Alex comes back into the main storyline from now on.

But, she catching Lena by the arm also has the same issue. So... yeah, there is that.
Not quite the same, since Lena's arm should be able to hold Lena's weight without ripping off, lol.

Not quite the same, since Lena's arm should be able to hold Lena's weight without ripping off, lol.

Yes. But, it should hurt her in the joints. At least, I have seen cop shows where the cop is hanging on to someone by the arms from the top of a building and they are in serious pain. (one show even had the person fall off). Even with out that it is painful to be grabbed by the arms with all your weight on the shoulder joints, which is not made for that kind of weight.

I guess, they didn't have the time. And shifting the arm to waist would have been difficult and some on-air gymnastics. Easiest would have been Kara ripping that harness and carrying Lena along.

She never uses her superspeed when it could solve so many issues.

Another decent episode - that’s five in a row. This season, there’s obviously been a shift to (relatively) more serious and mature (and less “cartoony”) stories. Not sure how the 8-year-old-girl demographic feels about this shift; but I’m liking it. :yay:

I thought the episode was ok. But I found it weird that Lena would just give up on trying to prover herself innocent. I mean, it was pretty obvious when there were only a small amount of kids who were sick for something that covered like the whole city. Could easily guess and confirm, they likely didn’t even live in the same locations.

Maybe because I usually pay less attention with the romantic/couples stuff, but did I miss something from the start of the episode where it was already decided that Maggie was leaving? Or did they just assume we already knew? Maybe I missed it, but it felt like they didn’t show the initial conversation but just the last few ones where she’s like “Ok, I guess I’ll leave.”

I liked the episode alot. I'm totally down with Jimmy and Lena becoming a thing.

Jimmy's basically been on the sidelines for a while with the silly Guardian stuff not really helping matters.

It could present some interesting dynamics for Kara/Jimmy/ and Lena .

I was also fine with the break up between Alex and Maggie. They ended the relationship with the two of them respecting each other and acting like adults ,which tends to not be the case with the CW shows. The door is also open for Maggie to come back if the actress is free.

This version of Morgan Edge seems more like an Arrow villain but Pasdar is doing a good job as usual.

Decent episode, nice chance for Katie to stretch her legs on the acting front, and it also served to build the bond with her, Kara and Sam which will pay off later in the season when Sam transforms into Reign.

The stuff with Alex and Maggie was ok, I guess people are going to have different feelings about the angle they went with to split them, it was ok.

The airplane rescue in this episode is one of the most impressive superhero feats that CW has ever done.

Katie was definitely fighting her accent this episode.

Kind of wished they had stretched out the Alex/Maggie stuff a bit. One more episode of them actually dealing with this conversation would've been helpful.

Katie was definitely fighting her accent this episode.

Kind of wished they had stretched out the Alex/Maggie stuff a bit. One more episode of them actually dealing with this conversation would've been helpful.

I just took it as they had been dealing with it the entire week since the last episode. Alex said to her "do you really want to go another round", meaning do you really want to talk about more.....honestly I got bored of them this season. I don't need exposition in order to conclude that they had been talking about it all week, or however long it has been since the last episode.

This was a very good episode for me, not as great as the first four but by no means bad in anyway. The best explanation I can come up with is it didn’t make me think as much.

For many fans it will only be known as episode where Alex and Maggie break up. I don’t envy the position the producers and writers were placed in by the necessity of writing Maggie out. I can honestly say I couldn’t have come up with a better way to do it. I hear some fans saying not enough time was spent on the story, they would have liked to hear some of the conversations that must have taken place after Alex crawled into bed in S3E4. I also understand the fans who think too much time was spent on a relationship we all knew was ending. I appreciate that neither was framed as wrong for wanting what they wanted. I also like that Maggie isn’t leaving town because of the breakup. I read one FB comment that they shouldn’t have had sex one last time, to that I say that breakup sex absolutely happens. IMO the hardest breakups are the ones where the reason is a fundamental incompatibility not lack of love or somebody doing something wrong. Now on to the rest of the episode.

I think we can stop comparing Morgan Edge to Maxwell Lord. No way would Max have intentionally harmed anyone let alone children to create bad press for his rival. Max wasn’t above using the earthquake in “human for a day” to throw some bad press Supergirl’s way but he had his limits. Morgan Edge is just plain evil and he made it clear he’s not scared of Supergirl. I’m not sure how he’s going to be foiled but I can say it’s going to be brains not brawn that accomplish it. I just hope Lena doesn’t have to lose a piece of her soul to do it.

Personally I get why Supergirl was having trouble hanging on to both halves of the plane. It wasn’t the weight it was the fact that she couldn’t get a good grip. They showed the metal bending as she tightened her grip, if she had squeezed too hard the part she was holding would have broken off. That scene was one of the best rescues to date, both Melissa and Katie sold the heck out of it.

So Lena and Sam know each other from before I defiantly need to hear more about that. Does Lena know who Ruby’s father is? Sam has some illegal hacker skills, will Reign be a challenge to Kara in brains as well as brawn, I hope so.

Shout out to the writers for not totally forgetting that Winn also worked on the lead bomb. Winn talked about how he and Lena went over the calculations. Jeremey showed that Winn was horrified that the calculations were incorrect and it was more possible that he thought that he too was responsible for harming kids. I would have liked a Winn and Lena scene about that but I realize that would have been hard to fit in.

I don’t have many thoughts on this episode. It was pretty bad. Dull as hell and bogged down my people moping. Alex and Maggie are done which is great but it was painful to watch the breakup, not because it was heartbreaking but because it was cringe as hell.

Hopefully next week we get Supergirl vs a Supervillain cause this show just needs to have a bit of fun again. Infact just get me to the crossover now; that’s the only thing keeping me going with these CW shows at the moment.

The only things I liked were Supergirl saving the aeroplane, that was a spectacular scene and her facing Morgan Edge. Who is basically just Lex Luthor. But I’m actually fine with that :woot:

4/10

Finally watching this since I was on vaca! and missed it.

I am kind of surprised that they didn't bring up the whole "Lena...you never ran a paper before.." this is why you have James around as a buffer.

Of course its real that people would be pissed but they werent exactly mad when she got rid of the Daxamites.

Is Kara suppose to be the papers best reporter? I know they use her since she is the star but I don't need Kara to be the best since she still got A LOT to learn! Unless James just put her on it to keep Lena safe.

What is this convo between Maggie/Alex. At least they are trying to be mature about it?

Oh look the two daughters of Krypton working together. They have so much common.

Well that is one way to advance the story, instant gratification, way to go Winn.

It is kind of disappointing that this didn't happen because of Lena. There definitely should've been some fallout from that.

Who is in their office all by themselves this late at night? Does he not have a home?

WTH...This is like they are playing a video game lol

Gotta love a good motivational speech.

All this episode did was make Morgan Edge seem like a lame villain

Last edited:
Is Kara suppose to be the papers best reporter?
No, I don't believe so. Otherwise, since she was literally standing right there, we would've seen James assign it to her, and I think Lena was also just referring to whoever was going to report on the incident at CatCo, the way she said "I'm not hiding this" right after. Kara was just working the case all ep because she was in "defensive friend mode," imo.

Yay, yet another episode with Maggie and Alex drama. Ugh.

It's called a relationship, and I think it's over now. And I think they handled its ending just as well as they did with its creation. Very well done. A shame it's over.

I think Lena should keep away from outside news conferences from now on. Something bad always happens.

Good episode, although I hate when they step down the heroes powers. Supergirl lifted Fort Roz into space and then stopped a spaceship from launching into orbit. She should have no problem holding a broken C-130...:cmad:

EDIT - Okay, I can see her needing a better grip and the plane not staying together. Just wish she'd said that, rather than giving the impression she wasn't strong enough. So I'll take that excuse.

It is so strange that it was me that was wishing for more Supergirl kicking ass....but the 2 episodes that have had the least of her doing that, are 2 of favorites....INCLUDING this one.

I will simply ff through the Maggie/Alex stuff when I rewatch and this will end up one of my fav episodes.

I liked the beginning. Rather than Supergirl kicking ass, she was the distraction while Alex worked on some relationship tension. Very nice.

I'm liking James more this season than last. I really hope Guardian stays as a minor thing he pulls out of the closet, as Catco James is so much a better character arc.

And yes, it looks like Jena is going to be a thing. 'My friends call me, Jimmy.' No they don't! But Lena is going to be calling him Jimmy now...:sly:
Have to say, I like this pairing a lot better than Kara and James.

Last edited:
I just took it as they had been dealing with it the entire week since the last episode. Alex said to her "do you really want to go another round", meaning do you really want to talk about more.....honestly I got bored of them this season. I don't need exposition in order to conclude that they had been talking about it all week, or however long it has been since the last episode.

Well, Kara and Alex had the brief "Is it happening tonight" exchange in the opener. We then next see them post discussion. It just felt rather sudden, and that we missed a ton. And I would've liked to see them have that fight.

After their break up sex, why couldn't they just show Chyler and Maggie with the sheets covering them instead of them suddenly having their tops back on again? That would've been more realistic. I realise it's the CW, but they've even shown Ollie and Felicity with just sheets over thern to preserve their modesty rather than suddenly having clothes on again after sex.

Is it just because Chyler and Maggie are lesbians and they don't want two women like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"