Supergirl Episode 3.08 "Crisis on Earth-X" (Crossover Episode; SPOILERS)

I think it’s a bit of the writers on other shows aren’t good at writing Kara/Supergirl but I’m going to propose a couple of other reasons Kara didn’t have long conversations with the other heroes. Because Melissa is the best actor in DCTV it’s kinda a catch 22. She was the one capable of having extensive scenes/conversation with herself, which consequently took a lot of her limited time. The other thing I’ll propose is for her development on her show the person she needed to interact with most was the evil heartless version of herself so she could see what she could become if she continues on the path of pushing her humanity away. Kara said facing an evil version of herself sure puts things in perspective. I don’t think she would’ve gotten that perspective interacting with other characters, a pep talk with Barry wouldn’t had the same effect.

True.. and I liked what it did for Kara although I hope her takeaway is not that she should not be Kryptonian any more. She should accept both her heritages; she is bi-cultural.

But.. but... but... The story was still Oliver-centric with sizable servings of Barry. Or, Arrow and Flash, I should say. Even in that scene where Kara says she would rather die than let someone else get killed instead of her to save Felicity, the focus of most of that entire scene is on Felicity... and you have more of that when Oliver-x comes and tries to kill her while she is saving Kara with her ex.

And Overgirl: The story was more about Oliver trying to save Kara-X rather than Kara-X herself.

And am also sad we didn't get a backstory on why Kara decides to join the Nazis.

I did enjoy the crossover. Just wished for more for Kara because I watch only Supergirl and anyways, she is my favourite (Alex is second). But, I am happy to be back with the regular showing.

And I was happy to hear Melissa sing.

Imagine if Nazi Oliver did just shoot Felicity.

This is why I said that both Supergirl and Flash don't need the crossovers because either one of them or both would be watered down.

I'm surprised that Arrow and Legends didn't have their own crossover with each other as they're both run by Marc Guggenheim.

I'm surprised that Arrow and Legends didn't have their own crossover with each other as they're both run by Marc Guggenheim.
They just don't fit together at all. Supergirl could work with either, imo (well, I couldn't see her on Arrow, but I could see Arrow cross over to Supergirl), but those two shows are on polar opposite ends of the style/tone spectrum.

I do think it is weird that MG seems to be against having Sara or Ray ever appear on Arrow in the future. But of course characters like Felicity/Curtis/Siren could crossover to Legends easily I feel but a semi big crossover between the two wouldn't work, I agree with that.

I just remembered that Oliver crossed over 3 times to Legends, im good with those kinds of crossovers.

What I don't want to see is Felicity having a guest role on Supergirl one day where she crosses over to that earth by herself and then saves the day. Why would she even be going there herself?

And I certainly don't want her suddenly being imbued with Kryptonian powers and having to take up the Supergirl mantle while Kara is indisposed temporarily.

But.. but... but... The story was still Oliver-centric with sizable servings of Barry. Or, Arrow and Flash, I should say. Even in that scene where Kara says she would rather die than let someone else get killed instead of her to save Felicity, the focus of most of that entire scene is on Felicity... and you have more of that when Oliver-x comes and tries to kill her while she is saving Kara with her ex.

And Overgirl: The story was more about Oliver trying to save Kara-X rather than Kara-X herself.
Agree there was an imbalance between how much of the plots from each show were represented.
And am also sad we didn't get a backstory on why Kara decides to join the Nazis.
If it helps in my head there’s no reason Universe-X Krypton would be the same Krypton our Kara grew up on. Similar to how the United States culture Kara landed in wasn’t so dramatically different from the Kryptonian Kara knew perhaps the Krypton Overgirl knew wasn’t so different from Universe-X Krypton.

Concensus is that Crisis on Earth-X was a big improvement from Invasion. It does seem that writers struggle to write characters they normally don’t. My small suggestion for next year would be to assemble four groups of four writers from each show to write each individual installment.

I don't think the writers should be writing an individual instalment at all. They should all get together and write one big story or movie together, pooling their ideas and resources. That way they can feed back to each other what they think they characters should be doing or how they should behave.

It should be a collaborative effort instead of everyone doing their own segment individually and in isolation of one another.

I don't think the writers should be writing an individual instalment at all. They should all get together and write one big story or movie together, pooling their ideas and resources. That way they can feed back to each other what they think they characters should be doing or how they should behave.

It should be a collaborative effort instead of everyone doing their own segment individually and in isolation of one another.
I didn’t mean for each group to write thier installments in isolation from each other. They should collaborate on the story as a whole but the details like specific dialogue would be done in groups. Ideally you’re right one group of writers with members who normally write from each show would do the whole event. I just think it wouldn’t be feasible to pull writers of thier regular jobs for the length of time that would take.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. That was really fun! It suffers from the usual issues: video game level fx, big battle scenes seem oddly empty, etc., just the things you’d expect working on a tv budget. But the characters are great and they aren’t afraid to take risks, so the feels shine through. The DC movies may have bigger name actors and better effects, but they rarely have anything like this much heart. Huge improvement over the last big crossover. Bravo! 8/10.

While it was only an ok crossover (6/10), it was much better than last year's which was boring as hell (4.5) due to subpar antagonists that were not a threat and brought no dramatic tension whatsoever.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. That was really fun! It suffers from the usual issues: video game level fx, big battle scenes seem oddly empty, etc., just the things you’d expect working on a tv budget. But the characters are great and they aren’t afraid to take risks, so the feels shine through. The DC movies may have bigger name actors and better effects, but they rarely have anything like this much heart. Huge improvement over the last big crossover. Bravo! 8/10.

As I say, for movies it's Marvel (except Wonder Woman) but on TV, it's DC!

True.. and I liked what it did for Kara although I hope her takeaway is not that she should not be Kryptonian any more. She should accept both her heritages; she is bi-cultural.

hey ssv it's good to see you again and thank you forthe kids words about my sister the last time . and sorry I wasn't abletoanswer you back then it was very busy month and for me.

There was backstory on earth X kara. but it was in arrow and it was very short and told from earth X kara. when they revealedthem, selve to karaflash and aoliver inthe arrow show.

so I just said this in the legends thread. here it ie below answering Gu3ree aposter here on the hype

post#124

Originally Posted by Gu3ree
The Earth-X story wasn't plausible. I just don't understand. This Oliver Queen must have had the same origin to an extent, perhaps getting stranded on a island, and also learning archery...but how should he? How was Kara on this Earth? As in other Earths, Green Arrow and Supergirl didn't coexist with each othe
So, I rewatched it all even the arrow episode I missed(cause I stopped watching for good reason ) cause my other sister the younest not the one that had the fibroid operation and that 's is still recovering and doing ok right now) that love watching the cwtv show minus arrow, taped them on our family's pvr.

Anyways what Earth kara said is that her parent senther to the father land and that why she ended up the way she did . now to most peopel, this would mean or they'd think she had the same upbring the kara we know does.

But with what she said and the fact that earth X kara's parent's knowingly sent to her to an earth ruled by nazi's of all places means there was something off with them mentally too. And it kinda remined me of the justlice league god's andmonters where the justice had super man wonder and bat man but they were moraly /ethically .standerly and integrally different from the heroes we know besides them not being clark it was alatino superman with Zod's gene's wonder from new genesis , which was orion's wife from most realitys.

And the one we know as man ,in noraml relaity as batman. Who all had no problem being killers and saying it was justice. and alot people like the god's of new genesis were acting corupt/ villain like.

So if that the case it's possible that earth X kara's parent's wern't becon's of hope at all and raised her differently since they knew they were sending her to messed up planet and they sent her to the father land there as they over said it .

That in father land if what they mean by father land meaning germany under rule of the Nazi's

from>>:: DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 3 Episode 8- Crisis on Earth X, Part 4" (
multipage.gif
5 )

Last edited:
Thanks Zenith16.

Yes. I guess, as you folks said, there was more to Earth X Kara than our Kara having had a different upbringing.

Eugenics was a big deal for the Nazis (one reason why I don't like tele/movie interpretations of Nazis is that they don't reflect this theme enough especially in how it connects to hypernationalism everywhere in current world), so that makes it more likely that Kara-x was so modified too.

Also, I saw some speculation in many places (not my thought) that the sister who tried to kill Kara-X could have been Reign (who never had a Ruby). Because she didn't seem to recognise Alex, so it couldn't have been Alex-X.

It's time for Earth-38 to be the setting for next year's crossover, and for Superman and Martian Manhunter to finally join the fun, imo.

I care less about whether Kid Flash and Elongated Man are included, but Supes and MM are founding members of the Justice League, dammit, and these big DC group events wouldn't exist without the JL.

P.S. - while I didn't expect to see him since Tyler's busy, I DID kinda expect to learn that Superman/Overman was the current führer on Earth-X (and secretly suffering the same affliction as Overgirl, hence their urgency to find a cure). Learning it was Ollie was just kinda anti-climactic.

I was also bummed that Oliver was the furhrer as well. They could have had Slade be the big bad on Earth X, or like you say, Overman! THAT would have been awesome! She could have beaten his ass all over again!:o

That Superman II callback was my favorite Arrowverse quote EVER!

...ahum... Superverse quote...:cwink:

Also, can't understand why Barry just let. him. go..? He beat Thrawn to a stand-still. He won. So what if he won't kill him, you still caught him. Throw him in the box, you idiot!:cmad:

It just doesn't make sense in-story to have an event that threatens the very existence of multiple worlds and then leave some of your heavy hitters on the sideline.

The Kryptonians, speedsters, and Martians are by far the most powerful beings in the Arrowverse. Kid Flash and Superman could take out hundreds of Nazis in the time it takes Green Arrow or White Canary to defeat one.

"The multiverse is in jeopardy? Quickly, send the B team! Kid Flash? Nah, we need him to protect Joe, a trained policeman, while a reporter and a computer hacker fight armed Nazis!"

LOL!!:woot: It is best, sometimes, not to look too closely at these decisions. But yes, sideline a speedster when you need a lot of big guns... The actor was there. Use him! :whatever:

Last edited:
Can we review the entire 4 parts here or do we have to stick to each individual episode thread for each?

Because personally I don't feel I can review it as four separate episodes not only because I feel like it all blends into one but I honestly feel its best reviewed as one whole thing.

It doesn't really matter, BH. Everyone's just kinda posting their thoughts all over the place, lol. Here is as good a place as any.

Imagine if Nazi Oliver did just shoot Felicity.

Doesn't matter. They would just find a way to save her life anyway.

This is why I said that both Supergirl and Flash don't need the crossovers because either one of them or both would be watered down.

Oliver has been in some episodes of Legends though. Last season's series premiere looking for the Waverider under the ocean. And there was another episode where Oliver is missing an arm in the future.

It doesn't really matter, BH. Everyone's just kinda posting their thoughts all over the place, lol. Here is as good a place as any.

Just didn’t wanna break any rules. I’ll post my mostly positive thoughts later. I’ll say this for now I really enjoyed last years Invasion but this was better.

TVLINE*|*For those who consumed the “Crisis on Earth-X” crossover, what do you want to say about how this fits into that continuity, if at all? Overgirl, for one, is alive….
It’s a little messy, I’m not going to lie to you. [Former Arrowverse EP] Andrew Kreisberg*and I were of differing minds about how tightly the animated series, which was written before the crossover, should tie in.

TVLINE*|*If anything, this is a prequel. Of sorts.
It*definitely is a prequel, of sorts; it explains The Ray’s presence on Earth-X. I would say it’s a prequel that requires an additional story hopefully be told down the road, to clean up the continuity. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a comic book story that would fix the continuity inconsistencies. Who knows! Maybe that will happen.

TVLINE*|*Is there a Leo Snart in this world?
There*isn’t, because we conceived of this before Leo was a twinkle in our eye. Maybe, if there’s a Season 2…? And Wentworth [Miller] is up for it? That would be great.

http://tvline.com/2017/12/07/ray-freedom-fighters-preview-gay-superhero-cw-seed/

Talk about mess. This was produced well before they wrote the crossover and yet they still decided to ignore their own writing.*

I’ve been trying to find a way to review the whole crossover but I think I’ll need to watch it again before I can go in depth.

I am going to point out some of my likes and dislikes though.

Dislikes

- Some of the mushy stuff like the double wedding at the end but it’s better that both couples just got married and we didn’t have to spend more episodes on the weddings.
- We needed Martian Manhunter
- Wally again been pushed to the side, seriously just move the character to Legends

- The opening, on Earth X Dark Arrow killing Guardian was probably my favourite moment.
- Alex and Sara hooking up (even though it was obvious)
- When Reverse Flash mentioned how he’d battled Superman. I wanna see it now!
- The fight scenes. particularly the ones involving Supergirl vs Overgirl
- The Ray & Flash vs Red Tornado
- “General, would you care to step outside” - even though I’m a little tired of Supergirl stealing Superman moments from the films this one was excellent
- the way they managed to squeeze everyone in even if it was for quick scenes was great even if I do wish we’d seen more of some characters.

The death of Stein absolutely broke my heart I was honestly gutted a I loved that character. He will be sorely missed.

Honestly (even as someone whose currently having issues with 2 of the 4 CW DC series) I do think they have a much better handle on things than the movie side does. Crisis on Earth X as a whole has to be one of DCs finest live action movies and if you count it as a movie (which I do) then for me it’s the best movie I’ve seen this year. I don’t know how they will top this next year.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to find a way to review the whole crossover but I think I’ll need to watch it again before I can go in depth.

I am going to point out some of my likes and dislikes though.

Dislikes

- Some of the mushy stuff like the double wedding at the end but it’s better that both couples just got married and we didn’t have to spend more episodes on the weddings.
- We needed Martian Manhunter
- Wally again been pushed to the side, seriously just move the character to Legends

- The opening, on Earth X Dark Arrow killing Guardian was probably my favourite moment.
- Alex and Sara hooking up (even though it was obvious)
- When Reverse Flash mentioned how he’d battled Superman. I wanna see it now!
- The fight scenes. particularly the ones involving Supergirl vs Overgirl
- The Ray & Flash vs Red Tornado
- “General, would you care to step outside” - even though I’m a little tired of Supergirl stealing Superman moments from the films this one was excellent
- the way they managed to squeeze everyone in even if it was for quick scenes was great even if I do wish we’d seen more of some characters.

The death of Stein absolutely broke my heart I was honestly gutted a I loved that character. He will be sorely missed.

Honestly (even as someone whose currently having issues with 2 of the 4 CW DC series) I do think they have a much better handle on things than the movie side does. Crisis on Earth X as a whole has to be one of DCs finest live action movies and if you count it as a movie (which I do) then for me it’s the best movie I’ve seen this year. I don’t know how they will top this next year.

Is Wally even on Flash anymore?

And I have to disagree about Martian Manhunter....IF he were done better, as in his fight scenes? I would say yes (except there were already enough superheroes running around), but the fight scenes were fantastic in the crossover and MM would have just ruined that. He is so clunky still in the CGI, it is irritating and totally takes me out of the moment.

Absolutely loved this episode. I don't remember much of last year's 'Invasion' 1st episode but I think this was way more fun.

Mick saying 'Best Wedding Ever' was actually the best thing ever. :D :D He was a hoot. Whether it's wedding seats or banter with Killer Frost, Rory never disappoints.

I don't watch Arrow anymore (stopped at S05 winter break) but Olicity is back?? Really??

Seeing Sara and Alex get frisky between the sheets and what ensued after was actually funny. Good to see Sara still wants to do women because I thought it was retconned or something as she didn't make moves on Helen of Troy in an earlier episode. I mean how can she do it with Guinevere of Arthurian Legend but just forget to get it on with Helen of Troy?? How??

Loved this episode so much and the cherry on top was at the end when Melissa unmasked the Evil Supergirl (Overgirl). That absolutely slayed me. I just can not resist evil and edgy Kara. S01E16 is still my favorite CBTV episode to date for that very reason. Can't wait to see more of the 'bad girl' Kara. :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"