Supergirl Episode 3.12 "For Good" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode description:

MORGAN EDGE THREATENS LENA – Someone tries to kill Morgan Edge (guest star Adrian Pasdar) and he barely survives. He accuses Lena (Katie McGrath) of being behind the attempt and vows to destroy her. When Lena fears her hatred for Morgan will take her to the Luthor dark side, Kara (Melissa Benoist) steps in to help her friend. Meanwhile, after Sam (Odette Annable) realizes she’s losing time, she confides in Alex (Chyler Leigh) who decides to run some medical tests to see if she can find out what’s going on with her new friend. Tawnia McKiernan directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner and teleplay by Cindy Lichtman & Alix Sternberg (#312). Original airdate 1/29/18.
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/01/supergirl-episode-312-for-good-press.html

Guess that answers Kelly's question about whether or not they know Sam is Reign yet.

It does sound a bit redundant to what we've seen before when it comes to Lena/Edge - if it does not result in them FINALLY putting to bed the "will she go full Luthor?!?!" question ~for good~...OR result in her finally learning Kara's identity, then I'm afraid it really will just seem like more of the same. We need some actual progress here.

How many times are they gonna recycle her old plots? They already did the “is she bad or good” crap in Season 2 in both the mid season and season finales.

Either Lena or Samantha or both may go full-on evil from this point forward.

They seem to not know what to do with her or this is their version of Lena going "evil" very slowly. Whichever it is, for now, it looks bad. And repetitive. :(

I hope there is more of Melissa, I mean Kara, than just as Lena-support system in the episode. Otherwise, this takes her away from the main season arc.

I used to like Lena a lot.

But, her storyline seems to hinge on just the one thing since some time now. How everyone, including her, fears she will go evil, how she struggles with it, and how she is actually a saint (donating to kids' hospitals, willing to die for them and all that) despite all this while also being a brilliant business woman. Though she did manage to be manipulated by Rhea in between.

Bring something new to the equation.

And James-Lena love affair is not it; not when you didn't do anything to build it up.

The slight turf war between James and Lena had potential--and it'd have been fun if we had Kara stuck in the middle--but somehow it fizzled out?.

I'd have liked Edge-Lena war in some other show (probably, with some more meat).

I am starting to feel now that once we have the Sam revelation, and once she knows Kara is also an alien, Lena will start hating aliens and join in with Cadmus; which because of the Eugenics thing, I don't like much (not to mention, no girlfriends beside Lena for Kara, so not good).

Last edited:
The pics are out for this episode. Guardian's back. Probably defending his girlfriend. Oh boy. :dry:

As if I needed more reasons to dislike this James/Lena thing, now they use it to bring back arguably the worst aspect of S2, lol.

The pics are out for this episode. Guardian's back. Probably defending his girlfriend. Oh boy. :dry:

As if I needed more reasons to dislike this James/Lena thing, now they use it to bring back arguably the worst aspect of S2, lol.

For me, I won't argue. It is undoubtedly the worse storyline of the show. I found it so intolerable, the show got relegated to L+7 or more status.

I hate that suddenly, I'm FFW through every Katie scene on rewatch of late, as opposed to rewinding Katie scenes prior to this fast track romance. Seriously, the worse thing about the CW shows is that they have no patience. They wanted FF relationship, so bam, Alex comes out and within 5 eps we have an OTP. I only liked Alex coming part, the subsequent romance was really boring FFW material for me.

Lets pretend James' last name was really Harper, and make him lose Dad's camera, and Bam, Guardian in the very next ep.

Guardian wasn't the smash hit we thought, so lets give James another Romance. O Lena's single, and bam, we have Lames, GuardCorp, whatever.

I actually think that having Cadmus Jim Harper be the Guardian might have been an interesting Vigilante story to act as an antagonist for Supergirl. You wouldn't have had the issues with, "O, I'm actually a shinny, superhero just like you and Clark, Kara." You could have a real vigilante on the loose working against the team that's part of the Cadmus plot. But alas.

I really hope they surprise me with this rinse and repeat cycle. I'm willing to give it a bit of hope for now.

Extended Promo:

Weirdly edited, I might add. Note to marketing team - when the music ramps up, that is the exact wrong time to cut to a static wide shot of two people talking. [/editor peeves]

Also, them appropriating so much footage from other episodes for a 30-second promo does nothing to alleviate my concerns about this being repetitive filler, lol.

Last edited:
Extended Promo:

Weirdly edited, I might add. Note to marketing team - when the music ramps up, that is the exact wrong time to cut to a static wide shot of two people talking. [/editor peeves]

Also, them appropriating so much footage from other episodes for a 30-second promo does nothing to alleviate my concerns about this being repetitive filler, lol.

That ticked me off, I hate it when they do that.....BUT, they might have been busy working on Ep 13 editing. I have a feeling that they are behind, and that last episode is a crunch....or they just did a bad job of editing and got lazy. lol

I have been waiting for a scene for 3 seasons of Kara using her power AS KARA fighting off someone...looks like we get that in this episode. Heck the excitement factor for this episode just went from a 3 to a 5....out of 10...LOL

I'm looking forward to it. KARA flying?! Carrying Lena? It would be great if Lena comes to a bit during the flight, and afterward recalls it vaguely and thus begins to question things.

And as to her turning evil or not, I don't think she is. It would have to be something MAJOR (or mind-altering) to do it, otherwise if would be against the majority of the character traits that we've seen ever since she came on the show.

I do hope they lay it to rest soon, and give her more to do on the show. McGrath is awesome!

Pretty sure she's just flying in Kara garb because she's rushing her friend to a normal hospital and not the DEO. I agree it would be awesome if Lena woke up even briefly during that flight, but we all know that ain't happening. When people are unconscious around Supers for the sake of keeping the secret identity under wraps, they always conveniently stay that way 'til it's all over, lol.

I do hope Lena gets something interesting to work with this week. I said it in this week's episode thread, but I'm gonna be damned disappointed if her "reunion" with Mon-El (as we see them in the same scene briefly in that promo) isn't awkward as hell like it ought to be, lol.

Last edited:
They really need to get Lena together. What are their long term plans for her? She is so sweet, everyone is sweet on this show.

She is boring me to tears.

I don't find her boring at all but I find the storylines they're giving her this season boring as hell, aside from Lena vs. Edge being interesting for about 5 minutes before it became utterly repetitive. She's the most powerful woman in National City who now owns the most powerful media company, is a genius inventor determined to change the world, who literally banished an entire race of aliens from the Earth (after accidentally enabling an invasion) and who comes from the most notorious alien-hating criminal family in this world. She recently learned that her best friend's boyfriend WAS one of those aliens she banished, and her mother is well aware of the fact that said friend is also an alien and has been lying to her from the moment they've met. Do something with...any of that please, writers, rather than trudging out the same ol' over-the-top personal grudge with Max Lord 2.0 for the 3rd time, and making her the default love interest to the other character they don't know what to do with.

I was hoping she'd at least be the first one to start cluing in to Sam as Reign, considering she noticed her odd aggression toward that news story a couple eps ago, but now even that's looking less likely by the day.

Last edited:
I totally agree the character herself isn't boring last year I thought the gray area kind of thing was really cool it just never went anywhere we just got a bunch of looks eerie music but it didn't take is anywhere different. This season they been trying to make sure that we understand that she is Cara's best friend and then they've used her to try to make James relevant and she's boring now.

They need to dive back into that gray area a little, imo. Like I said, she developed tech that managed to banish an entire race from the planet - or nearly committed a genocide, from another perspective. That's gotta mess with a person, especially considering her family history. Giving her that storyline where "she may have also poisoned human kids!" kind of avoided the crux of that issue. She also knows of the DEO and the work they do, as she worked along side them to achieve that in the finale. Rather than Lena vs. Edge, I'd be MUCH more interested in seeing a Lena vs. DEO storyline, where they have very different viewpoints on dealing with some alien menace, Lena finds out they hacked her (and have hacked her before) and a little war escalates from there.

Of course, that would do nothing to help James find relevance, but frankly, that's not something to hang around Lena's neck, imo.

She most definitely needs to be a gray area type of character. But I think a problem is that they made her to good at everything. The only thing lacking in her life is her reputation with the general public so she is just trying to be good. They probably should've had her fight to save her company or build her own brand or something.

If Supergirl didnt have the DEO then she could at least go to Lena for help more in the tech department and Lena could become Karas version of Lucius Fox.

Ha, you've been riding that "get rid of the DEO" train for a while now, but I think I'm about ready to hop on board. It's time for a shake-up in Kara's support system, and if it could free Lena from these garbage storylines while they're at it, that would be a bonus. Winn could go work for Lena, but I do wonder what J'onn and Alex would do if that ever happened.

tenor.gif

They could set up their own base of operations or help her more in the field. Maybe start getting more B stories that help tie into the main storyline, deal with the lesser villains. All they do right now is walk around and be like "Kara so and so is doing so and so"

They could've put Lena with Chyler instead. I'm sure there would've been more chemistry there than with Jimmy.

Not looking forward to Guardian.

Sneak peeks:

Yawn. Hopefully this episode will surprise me and be worthwhile because so far everything screams "filler," imo.

They could've put Lena with Chyler instead.
I've been saying this since S2, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"