Supergirl Episode 3.13 "Both Sides Now" (SPOILERS)

Alex has never been this condescending to Kara ever. She never undermines Kara either. The only times she has lashed out at Kara was when there was imminent personal loss involved. Like losing Kara herself in the first couple of episodes last season and later, the entire Jeremiah thing.

Here, she is being a jerk to Kara while working because she broke up with Maggie? That is very out of character.

It'd have made more sense if she was scared out of her mind because Reign nearly killed Kara and Purity may still do it. Because she really was scared in both episode 9 and 10. Has she forgotten all about it now? Or, how she said she was having a better time dealing with Maggie when talking to Sam last episode thanks to Kara? Really, what was that line about Kara being invincible and hence could afford to be idealistic when Kara has time and again demonstrated that she is just that even when she is vulnerable? And Alex knows this.

Otherwise, she was unprofessional, reckless and a pretty bad sister.

I'd like the sisters to work together more. To have conflict over how to approach things. But not for reasons that make no sense.

I wish the show would stay off romance for anyone for a while. They are pretty bad at it even when it is not an active part of the plot. And.. I really hope they don't bring back Maggie.

Sigh... Sorry. I really got mad at Alex this episode. I loved Melissa's expressions though during the interrogation. And Chyler was great too. So.. sarcastic. I like it when they work together. It was disappointing how they managed it though.

Yes she was, Pilot Episode...so much so, that people weren't sure if Alex was a good guy or a bad guy.

Maybe Lena knows who Pestilence is and actually helped them get rid or subdue their powers. Of course that doesn’t mean she knows Pestilence is a world killer etc but she may know the woman who is Pestilence and helped her.

Maybe....

Yes she was, Pilot Episode...so much so, that people weren't sure if Alex was a good guy or a bad guy.
I remember hating Alex in the pilot so yeah, this make sense lol.

Yeah I didn't like her in the first episode, I was actually worried after that. But thankfully she won me over.

And there were times throughout Season 1 that it didn't seem that Alex had much faith in Kara's abilities....she "said" she did, but her actions did not show it. IMO, honestly it wasn't until this season that I could really see Alex allowing Kara to lead and showing her respect in that area...So, this episode was like, whelp as we all do, when stress is getting to us we revert back to our old selves at times.

I actually thought they were gonna go the clique good sister vs evil resentful sister angle with the Kara/Alex dynamic after the pilot. I thought they were gonna make alex a bit like Lex in Smallville, i.e. an ally who becomes a villain.

I'm so glad they didn't do that. Alex has actually one of my favorite characters in the Arrowverse in addition to Kara, Barry, and now Black Lightning.

Maybe they'll make Chyler get together with Sam. That's the only way for Sam to stay on the show after this season. And Ruby already has bonded with Chyler so she could be like a daughter to her.

Alex losing her cool isn't out of character. Making it about her being sad about Maggie, that was what was bad. We've had multiple episodes supposedly about her moving past that, and this episode ignored them. It's no longer interesting.

Also bringing up what Alex may have done in the pilot means very little imo since this is SEASON THREE!!! I'd have thought that there'd be character progression by now, guess not.

But really most of the characters here suddenly have personality shifts out of nowhere. It was, kind of bad in that regard.

But really most of the characters here suddenly have personality shifts out of nowhere. It was, kind of bad in that regard.
Except for Kara. Which as I mentioned before, makes it feel like the inverse of the "Alex" episode from last season for me - where Kara was the only one suddenly acting really, really OOC.

See, I don't think she was over the top in the "Alex" episode at all, we probably already had this conversation.

I am probably one of the most passive, don't like confrontation, don't like guns, don't like violence....pretty chilled and happy most of the time. HOWEVER, something happens to my sister.....oh hell no, I will be at the front of the line with whatever it takes to make sure that she is safe and sound.....absolutely no doubt that is how I would be, so for me.....it was perfectly solid. WHAT WASN'T perfectly solid for me is Maggie's whining about who loves who more, who had more rights to be heard etc. Kara, the answer was always Kara.....Maggie wasn't/isn't even a close second. So for me that was the problem with the "Alex" episode. It once again showed just how selfish Maggie actually was.

As far as this past weeks episode....I think Alex had a far greater reaction to Kara almost being killed at the hands of Reign and freaked out when Kara got so close to another World killer....and we may see this play out more in the next few episodes...OR it was wonky writing in that particular aspect and once again Maggie strikes again in screwing up Alex's normal frame of mind....

I could see the over protection for sure. Bad example, but one that really shows what can happen to your psyche when a loved one is attacked. My dog Louie was attacked by a pit bull at the dog park one Sunday and it was scary as hell....once the pit bull let him loose, 4 other usually chilled friendly dogs went after Louie, and my other dog Armstrong got to Louie first and ended up taking the most bites as he stood over Louie protecting him from the other dogs....Louie was fine, in shock, but go over it.....ANY DOG that got anywhere near Louie for months Armstrong would attack....I thought we were going to have to get him therapy...LOL Finally he slowly became his usually chilled, fun-loving (if your dog can't get along with Armstrong, you dog doesn't belong here) dog that everyone at the dog park knew and loved.....but it was crazy for awhile.

So, I can see Alex totally going into overdrive when she see's Kara reaching for a World killer.....what screwed it up was the stupid dialogue about Maggie. GAAAAAAWWWWD let Maggie go away in peace.

See, I don't think she was over the top in the "Alex" episode at all, we probably already had this conversation.

I am probably one of the most passive, don't like confrontation, don't like guns, don't like violence....pretty chilled and happy most of the time. HOWEVER, something happens to my sister.....oh hell no, I will be at the front of the line with whatever it takes to make sure that she is safe and sound.....absolutely no doubt that is how I would be, so for me.....it was perfectly solid. WHAT WASN'T perfectly solid for me is Maggie's whining about who loves who more, who had more rights to be heard etc. Kara, the answer was always Kara.....Maggie wasn't/isn't even a close second. So for me that was the problem with the "Alex" episode. It once again showed just how selfish Maggie actually was.

As far as this past weeks episode....I think Alex had a far greater reaction to Kara almost being killed at the hands of Reign and freaked out when Kara got so close to another World killer....and we may see this play out more in the next few episodes...OR it was wonky writing in that particular aspect and once again Maggie strikes again in screwing up Alex's normal frame of mind....

I could see the over protection for sure. Bad example, but one that really shows what can happen to your psyche when a loved one is attacked. My dog Louie was attacked by a pit bull at the dog park one Sunday and it was scary as hell....once the pit bull let him loose, 4 other usually chilled friendly dogs went after Louie, and my other dog Armstrong got to Louie first and ended up taking the most bites as he stood over Louie protecting him from the other dogs....Louie was fine, in shock, but go over it.....ANY DOG that got anywhere near Louie for months Armstrong would attack....I thought we were going to have to get him therapy...LOL Finally he slowly became his usually chilled, fun-loving (if your dog can't get along with Armstrong, you dog doesn't belong here) dog that everyone at the dog park knew and loved.....but it was crazy for awhile.

So, I can see Alex totally going into overdrive when she see's Kara reaching for a World killer.....what screwed it up was the stupid dialogue about Maggie. GAAAAAAWWWWD let Maggie go away in peace.
Regarding "Alex," I was referring to her behavior BEFORE Alex was taken. They suddenly decided to establish her as a reckless, cocky, impulsive, "punch first, ask questions later" type for the sake of manufacturing a conflict with Maggie to play out during the episode then learn the error of her ways by the end. When in the past, she's been nothing but respectful to the first-responders of National City, always stopping to ask how she can help first.

Regarding THIS episode, I think they were very clear about making Alex's behavior about Maggie, and not about what happened with Kara/Reign. Which was a mistake, imo.

I had a thought regarding Alex's behavior. Most agree that it would have been more believable if it had been about being scared for Kara and not about Maggie. What if that's just what Alex told Kara is the bar because she doesn't want to tell Kara how scared she really is/was. It sure seemed like that was what it was about when she walked up to Winn and he gave her a much needed hug. Alex would be the last person to want to admit she's scared plus she wouldn't want to give Kara anything more to deal with. After Alex told Kara "this one scares me" in Reign she might be choosing to hide her fear from Kara. I doubt we'll get it but the whole thing could be explained if Alex talked to J'onn or Winn about what happened in Julia's house.

I had a thought regarding Alex's behavior. Most agree that it would have been more believable if it had been about being scared for Kara and not about Maggie. What if that's just what Alex told Kara is the bar because she doesn't want to tell Kara how scared she really is/was. It sure seemed like that was what it was about when she walked up to Winn and he gave her a much needed hug. Alex would be the last person to want to admit she's scared plus she wouldn't want to give Kara anything more to deal with. After Alex told Kara "this one scares me" in Reign she might be choosing to hide her fear from Kara. I doubt we'll get it but the whole thing could be explained if Alex talked to J'onn or Winn about what happened in Julia's house.
Yes, I would retract my criticism if this turned out to be the case. But I doubt it will.

Regarding "Alex," I was referring to her behavior BEFORE Alex was taken. They suddenly decided to establish her as a reckless, cocky, impulsive, "punch first, ask questions later" type for the sake of manufacturing a conflict with Maggie to play out during the episode then learn the error of her ways by the end. When in the past, she's been nothing but respectful to the first-responders of National City, always stopping to ask how she can help first.

Regarding THIS episode, I think they were very clear about making Alex's behavior about Maggie, and not about what happened with Kara/Reign. Which was a mistake, imo.

Ooooh....gotcha. Yeah, I can see where you are coming from...

And yes, though they seemed to be headed in the right direction they totally screwed up bringing up the Maggie thing again. They really need to stop bringing that up every single episode....

Also, in regards to this.... Floriana Lima posted the weirdest video the other night as she was apparently watching Supergirl....it was almost like a "hey, I'm still here...please talk about me." It was the most awkward thing I think I have ever seen from an actor on twitter.

Last edited:

It should have been Alex fearing for Kara’s life which to me would have adequately explained her attitude and made a lot more sense.

Also, in regards to this.... Floriana Lima posted the weirdest video the other night as she was apparently watching Supergirl....it was almost like a "hey, I'm still here...please talk about me." It was the most awkward thing I think I have ever seen from an actor on twitter.

That doesn’t sound weird

Well...I've been seeing rumors that she's coming back for an ep or two (I think the make-up artist for the show mentioned she was working with her again or something?), so that could explain why she'd be watching Supergirl and tweeting about it/reconnecting with the fanbase.

Ugh! I’d rather she stayed away

Maggie shows up in Lethal Weapon every now and then as Riggs's dead wife.

Yes making it pretty clear that Alex's behavior was about Maggie was the mistake here. If it had been a case of "my sister just got beaten to within an inch of her life by a Worldkiller not too long ago and now there's more of them around, I'm done with this crap," then it'd have been far more believable and interesting imo.

So IDK why they just didn't do that instead?

Yes making it pretty clear that Alex's behavior was about Maggie was the mistake here. If it had been a case of "my sister just got beaten to within an inch of her life by a Worldkiller not too long ago and now there's more of them around, I'm done with this crap," then it'd have been far more believable and interesting imo.

So IDK why they just didn't do that instead?

I think the writers on this show continually drop the ball on certain things like this. It’s like they want the drama from certain scenarios but they can’t see the most obvious and correct way of what’s causing that drama.

It should have been Alex fearing for Kara’s life which to me would have adequately explained her attitude and made a lot more sense.

That doesn’t sound weird

If you saw it, you would think very strange.....she was almost pining for Alex (well Chyler) actually...lol, ....it was strange.

If I can find it I'll post it.

https://twitter.com/sanversnews/status/958206340878520321

I think this is only a portion of it, but kinda gives you the idea....it sent #Sanvers peeps into a flurry.

I don't know, we finally get some of the Shipper frenzie died down and then they pull stuff like this....they will also be appearing in a few comic cons this summer together. If she is coming back, cool...but damn, all this does is wake up the crazies out there and they go to trolling the writers again. It's all just weird to me I guess. I mean, if I'm totally off on it then that's fine, it just came off as kinda weird.

And as far as your first comment.....totally agree, moving back into pining for Maggie mode was a big mistake.

Last edited:
If you saw it, you would think very strange.....she was almost pining for Alex (well Chyler) actually...lol, ....it was strange.

If I can find it I'll post it.

https://twitter.com/sanversnews/status/958206340878520321

I think this is only a portion of it, but kinda gives you the idea....it sent #Sanvers peeps into a flurry.

I don't know, we finally get some of the Shipper frenzie died down and then they pull stuff like this....they will also be appearing in a few comic cons this summer together. If she is coming back, cool...but damn, all this does is wake up the crazies out there and they go to trolling the writers again. It's all just weird to me I guess. I mean, if I'm totally off on it then that's fine, it just came off as kinda weird.

And as far as your first comment.....totally agree, moving back into pining for Maggie mode was a big mistake.

It was meant to say it does sound weird :facepalm: damn autocorrect!

It was meant to say it does sound weird :facepalm: damn autocorrect!

LMAO........you should see some of the stuff my autocorrect sends....:woot:

Well...I've been seeing rumors that she's coming back for an ep or two (I think the make-up artist for the show mentioned she was working with her again or something?), so that could explain why she'd be watching Supergirl and tweeting about it/reconnecting with the fanbase.

I've heard that as well, my hope is that she is coming back to say good-bye....

I've enjoyed Alex so much more this season than last season....especially AFTER their break up, before that I just wanted Maggie gone already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"