Episode 3.17 "Trinity" (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Supergirl' started by flickchick85, Apr 19, 2018.

?

What did you think?

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Official Synopsis:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/supergirl-episode-317-trinity-press.html

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

The pics from this ep look interesting. Lena in the DEO (and conscious!), the Legion in the Worldkillers' "Fortress of Sanctuary."

3. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Not only is Lena in the DEO, but it looks like she's wearing a DEO outfit as well.

We may see a fight in the Fortress of Sanctuary between Supergirl's team and the Worldkillers.

Looking at all this, I have doubts about the recent rumored spoilers.

4. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I'm actually buying the spoilers more, especially after this week's episode, which confirmed Lena's lab with the Kryptonite, and the trailer for 3.16 showing Kara discovering it and (as per this episode's description) not being happy about it. And if this episode continues to track with the spoilers, then [blackout]The Legion will leave right after this showdown (but not 'til the beginning of 3.18), and Lena will turn away from the DEO and toward her mother for help with Sam[/blackout].

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. ComicBookNerd

ComicBookNerd Well-Known Member

Imra is Pestilence, watch.

6. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I highly doubt that one.

7. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Extended promo:

8. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

How can she be Pestilence when that doctor was?

9. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

Of course Lex had kryptonite...

10. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I'm glad that Lena called Kara out on her hypocrisy just now.

11. NotNickFury

The fact that Jimmy spent a good amount of time walking around Lena's laboratory without his mask on makes me think that Lena will find out and call him out on it because I can't imagine that she, especially as a Luthor, doesn't have some sort of security cameras all around this facility.

12. Primal Slayer

So the Trinity was a trinity for all of 5 mins! 1 episode and the band is already broken up?

13. Primal Slayer

Looks like James beat you to the punch line.

14. NotNickFury

Surprise. But hey, Jimmy's came right out with his secret identity identity faster than a good chunk of these Arrowverse/Berlanti-verse folks. To Lena, anyway.

Also, it's nice to see all that cape training is being put to good use. Wait...

15. vantheman77

Basically Trinity refers to the Worldkillers as well as Supergirl, Lena Luthor, and Alex.

They just introduced Pestilence last week only for her to be killed tonight.

With Reign inheriting the powers of Purity and Pestilence after their deaths, Blight could still happen in the future.

I know the spoilers did spoil Pestilence's death, but not Purity's.

The fight in the Fortress of Sanctuary was awesome as this separates Supergirl from the other shows. A lot has moved forward in this episode and it doesn't stop there.

16. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

The ones I read did. This one basically confirmed the spoilers for me.

17. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

General thoughts: On paper I should love this episode - it put all the focus on my favorite characters and plotline. But I just wasn't buying Kara's behavior in it, which put a damper on the proceedings.

Stuff I liked:

-More Lena/Alex scenes, please.

-Brainy, yet again.

-More Lena/Brainy scenes, please.

-Glad to see Lena finally getting in on the DEO action, and standing up for herself against them.

-James' torn loyalties actually made him somewhat interesting this week.

-Nice for Alex to finally get an upgrade.

-Odette continues to kill it.

Stuff I didn't like:

-What is this "Dark Kryptonian Magic" BS?? What was wrong with the Worldkillers being creations of Kryptonian science? Of Kara's own father Zor-El, no less. There was SO MUCH story/character potential for Kara to deal with that, but these writers are like, "nah, let's make 'em magic!" I just don't get these people sometimes.

-I'm sorry, but the Kara in this episode was not the same girl who, even when there was actual footage of Lena being shady, refused to entertain the possibility for even a second. And Miss "now you have someone who will believe in you ALWAYS" would never pull the "Luthor" card on her so easily, just because she was using Kryptonite to help their mutual friend. Lena explained herself and her motivations pretty clearly, and the Kara of previous eps would have accepted her explanation without question. This all just feels so contrived to make James the one in Lena's corner and prep us for Lena's "turn," that I just couldn't buy it at all.

-Seeing Lena FINALLY interacting with these other characters, reminds me of when they teased (I think at SDCC) that one fun thing about this season would be seeing Lena get storylines with people besides Kara, and I now realize they were almost certainly referring to saddling her with the James romance, which just bums me out, lol.

-Of course they had Lena lie about making the Kryptonite. Of course.

-Totally wasted the other Worldkillers. Especially sad to see Purity go. The actress was great.

-2nd ep in a row with poorly-directed action.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  18. vantheman77

A lot has moved forward in this episode and it felt like a season finale.

I hope Supergirl and Reign win the Saturn Awards.

Lena knows that James is Guardian and J'onn is Martian Manhunter.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  19. Spirit

Spirit Well-Known Member

So Julia took control of her own body while retaining Purity's powers? Okay. I didn't think they could do that. Does that mean Sam could do the same?

I got the impression Julia died a mutual death with Pestilence. The others left Julia's body behind when Reign's fortress collapsed. But then in Supergirl's conversation with Lena, Supergirl says they saved Julia. What?

Did Supergirl simply mean that they were able to reach Julia, who then lived for another 30 seconds? 'Cause I wouldn't call that "saving."

20. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Overall , a good episode.

I also felt the Kara kryptonite hang up felt contrived for some sense of tension between the two characters.

I think they were attempting to go for the Lex and Clark slow betrayal and mistrust of Smallville.

The thing is though, they developed that over several years , and there were small hints of it along the way ,as opposed to it suddenly in one episode which the Kara and Lena thing felt like.

Other than that , I really liked the episode. Reign has turned out to be a very good villain imo.

21. SSAV

SSAV Well-Known Member

I liked the episode.

I think what Kara did was not quite out of character considering she was furious at the time; a lot has happened since season 2.

She kind of behaved like Clark did when he found out J'onn had kryptonite. I am not entirely sure she should count on Lena's loyalty considering that it is Kara who is Lena's friend.

But... it'd have been a shock to realise that Lena has been keeping Kryponite all this while. Coming on top of her Sam revelation, which she didn't reveal even to Kara (not just SG), Kara may have decided to check her out for once.

On the other hand Lena lied to both Alex and Supergirl this episode. Not just about the Kryptonite, but also about Sam not wanting Alex to know. Alex decided things were fair because she thought the point Lena made was good; that it was Sam's call. But, Sam's call was to tell Alex, and Lena didn't allow her. So...yeah, while Lena's points about DEO may be right, Lena has not been exactly trustworthy either. And, she did harbour a mass murderer on her own cognizance.

After doing the same thing last season with Rhea, and it backfiring so spectacularly, one would think she would have learned her lesson. Apparently not.

I am not particularly mad at her for keeping Kryptonite; I always thought she had it with her; but I am mad at her for lying to Alex and justifying to DEO when what she did eventually blew up in her face. With SG there, the Trinity went off with Sam. Without SG, Lena would have been killed too. It was her fault; I thought there wasn't enough acknowledgement from the writers (not Lena herself; she seemed sad but James propped her up) that what she did was wrong.

I don't think they did a bad job with Lena in this episode; but I think they have been doing a bad job with Lena in general; in setting her up as this conflicted character. She never seemed to do anything remotely bad until this episode, so how are you going to buy that she has been planning (or having a backup plan) against Supergirl this whole while?

A couple of scenes would have helped so much. It also would have explained (in more than the outing yourself is your choice) way, why Kara still wouldn't tell Lena that she was Supergirl.

In any case, I believe "I have something that could kill you*" trumps "I am a superhero who everyone in the world knows about" in the general scheme of keeping secrets.

And "Oh the friend you wanted to help actually wanted to tell you her secret" trumps "Being a member of a secret organisation, I cannot tell you who I work for because that is not how government agencies work". In both cases, Lena's secrets were positively life threatening and a risk to a lot of people (and in one case, she didn't keep secret, she lied).

Unlike, Alex's or Kara's. (However, I realise that one could argue that if only Kara had come clean with Lena, she wouldn't have chosen this way. Not too sure about Alex because she kept the DEO thing even from Kara.)

Anyways: Lena was using a lot of false equivalencies this episode.

James was terrible this episode in my opinion (and just when I was starting to like him). He should have straight out told Kara that he liked Lena and hence, he will not do what she asked. Instead, he was too scared to stand up to her, and then, took the easy way out; that of lying; spoiling Kara's and Lena's relationship in the process.

And he broke both Winn's and Kara's trust.

Once he had decided to come clean to Lena, he should have asked SG to come clean about the Kryptonite thing.

I don't know... If they are going with the Lena will turn dark next season (or the season after), they seem to be going in the right direction. But, they seem to have started a bit late for proper set up.

*Note: I don't think it is a good idea to just destroy all kryptonite everywhere. There should be some backup plan. But, I can see how a typically decent, kind and rational person can be a bit irrational when it comes to Kryptonite.

Oh.. I continue to like Katie McGrath in these episodes; and of course Odette is great. I wish the writers had done a better job in Season 2 building Lena up; would have been so much better than all those episodes of Lena being a truly good person who just needs to be rescued by Supergirl.

22. SSAV

SSAV Well-Known Member

Hmm.. It is true (as I read somewhere) that Kara was okay with Oliver having the Kryptonite (I had forgotten that), so may be she still has some Luthor prejudice left in there somewhere.

Sorry for posting twice in a row. Didn't mean to.

23. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Well-Known Member

Decent episode.

Was this the first ever episode with no Kara Danvers in it? I think it was.

24. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Well-Known Member

BTW, didn't last night's episode blow up the Legion's version of the future?

25. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

(Another) playful digression on the Fake Science of Superheroes™. ;nd

There’s ample evidence from canon that Supergirl’s (and Superman’s) fantastical powers are undiminished during nighttime. From this, we might infer two possibilities. 1) the special rays from the Sun (that grant superpowers) pass through the Earth - and thus continuously “charge” Supergirl; or, 2) Supergirl’s body stores daylight energy (like a solar battery) and draws on this energy during the several hours that the Earth faces away from the Sun.

But here’s the thing: whichever scenario is the case, the same would apply during a solar eclipse. 1) either the special rays pass through the Moon (which is much smaller than Earth) and charge Supergirl; or, 2) Supergirl takes advantage of her stored energy for the duration of an eclipse (which is a fair bit shorter than the average night).

Bottom line: a solar eclipse would have no effect on Supergirl. :word: