Supergirl Episode 3.20 "Dark Side of the Moon" (SPOILERS)

LL2K2

Maid of Might
Reaction score
Official description:

SUPERGIRL LEARNS A STUNNING SECRET ABOUT KRYPTON – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is stunned to discover that a part of Krypton survived. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) is attacked while out with Ruby (guest star Emma Tremblay), and Lena (Katie McGrath) considers how far she will go to keep Reign contained. Hanelle Culpepper directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Katie Rose Rogers (#320). Original airdate 5/28/2018.

Hmmm...now where have we seen this before?

Spoilers were clearly on-point. Which means, barring any crappy execution, I should be mostly happy with the way the rest of the season plays out. So yay.

And also, if this is the ep I think it was from the spoilers, it should be a doozy.

I also want to see what episodes 21-22 are about if the spoilers concerning certain characters are true.

I have a feeling they could play that Pink Floyd song during this episode.

I also want to see what episodes 21-22 are about if the spoilers concerning certain characters are true.
As per the spoilers: [blackout]Kara will be getting reacquainted with her mother, and learning that Alura has basically adopted Kara's childhood best friend as her own daughter in her absence, and she feels somewhat "replaced." The Kryptonian priestess who's been controlling the Worldkillers is also residing in Argo City, and upon learning of Kara's presence there, attempts to kill her. Meanwhile, Lena, who is still reeling from her confrontation with Kara over being Supergirl, will turn to Lillian for help with Reign, and after Reign almost kills Lillian, she uses the opportunity to "open Lena's eyes" to the dangers of the Kryptonians[/blackout]. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I remember, and I'm not sure which of that stuff happens in which ep. But that all happens before [blackout]Kara returns from Argo City and the Legion returns from the future[/blackout] in the finale.

J'onn's shape-shifting spaceship really doesn't get enough love.

Did I just forget about part of the last episode where Kara/Mon set off to find some "random" planet?

I dont remember....Mon-El was in stasis and never aged after Daxam exploded right?

If New Krypton is real, it was really undeserved lol.

How did the DEO manage before Winn came along and took over the computer work?

Last edited:
Yeah, Mon-El's pod was lost in "the Well of Stars" where, like the Phantom Zone, time doesn't pass. So he didn't age.

Is the CGI on Argo City really blurry, or is it my feed? That's a legit question because my feed is being really iffy tonight.

As someone currently re-reading the entire New Krypton arc, it's jarring to see how different Alura is being portrayed, lol.

Phantom Zone - gotcha, it's kind of coming back.

I dont think it's so much blurry as it is hazy? Looks like they slapped an Instagram filter on it.

You're not REALLY from the future..you are but you're originally from the present and went to the future then came back.

Kara finding a planet full of Kryptonians should be much bigger then it is, it shouldn't have 2 other plots for us to sit through, especially one that just deals with "who is trying to kill Alex" and "Have Winn connect with child".

Kara says that she can finally be Kara Zor-El but she isn't being anyone different from the woman that we've known for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
You're not REALLY from the future..you are but you're originally from the present and went to the future then came back.
That's a lot to say for every introduction, lol.

On random note, I liked the way Erica Durance delivered her lines when she said she recognized Mon-El. She was clearly familiar with him (or at least his rep) way back when and was not a fan. Of course, her hospitality instincts won out. :oldrazz:

Tuvok! He better be more then a guest star in this episode.

Why don't you just fly up there J'onn?

Uh, J'onn, you can fly. You can literally be her back-up in 5 seconds.

I listen to these Kryptonians talk and have these deep conversations and suddenly realize how better Krypton handled these sorts of scenes, though I know few here would agree with that.

So next week's promo is suggesting that Kara will just happily go her merry way and live on Argo while Reign terrorizes Earth? Lol, come on, promo people.

This was a very mediocre episode for what should've been a very BIG episode.

Finding Argo City isn't something that you pair with 3 other storylines, this IS your story that you focus on full throttle. It isnt "oh...here's a planet...oh here's other Kryptonians...oh...here's my momma that is suppose to be long dead!...Imma just collect this rock and be on my way". This is a storyline that makes the audience go WHOA. It should be earned and this wasn't earned.

We didn't need Alex's boring storyline about some guy she never even knew wanting to exact revenge on her all of a sudden for his brother which just makes her realize "I dont need to have kids right now" Really? Did we really need this subplot, could you not just lump it in with the Reign subplot?

What did the DEO do pre-Winn? And did they need to have him bond with whatshername? Will it even lead anywhere good story wise?

And what is the promo for next week? It makes no sense with how this episode ended lol.

Overall, this episode was far more boring than it should have been.

-I love the Argo City development and those scenes were nice...even if it did look more like Canada than Krypton, lol. I'm looking forward to more of that.

-Alex's storyline was pure filler and should have been left out of the episode. We know this show has no problem leaving regulars out of an episode every now and then, and they should have done that here so Argo City could've gotten more focus.

-The Lena/Reign subplot was good, though, but they could've played up the tension of the ticking clock and the impending danger of Reign getting out more. Again, if they'd had more time and dropped the Alex subplot. A two-pronged plot of Argo City and Lena trying her best to keep Reign at bay (with the help of Winn) in the meantime would've made for a better episode, imo.

I cannot emphasize enough how dumb next week's promo was. And it will likely be a pretty good episode, too. But that was just as poorly-conceived a promo as I have ever seen for this show, lol.

Regarding the spoilers, they have been spot-on so far, except for one thing: [blackout]I thought Lena was supposed to learn the truth about Kara this ep? Maybe I misread or am just misremembering what I read,[/blackout] but that was a bit disappointing because I am so ready for that. :oldrazz:

This episode was a misfire. Seeing that Alura and the Kryptonians are alive should have been a big event in Supergirl's life.

Alex's storyline felt like something that would have fit in last season. Yes, J'onn could have flown to save Alex. I don't know what the writers are thinking here.

The other storylines involving Reign/ Lena and Winn/ Ruby could have happened last week.

I'm not surprised at how lackluster this was - it was written by Derek Simon & Kati Rose Rogers, two of my least-favorite writers on the show. They've never written an episode together before, and I shall hope they never do again. Next week is written by the duo who did "Triggers," "Wake-Up," "Fort Rozz," and "Of Two Minds," which were all solid, imo, so it should at least be a little better.

Erica Durance did a great job as Alura. I hope she returns for the 4th season as I want to see her meet Kara's Earth mother, Eliza Danvers.

This is getting SOOOOO good! I cant wait for next week

Once the initial glow of being reunited with her mother wears off, I really do hope the show doesn't completely forget about this:

SGYou_Left_Me_540.gif

My take away from the episode:

Kara is still worrying over that thing with Lena... And... that is why she decides to leave for Argo City.

And that one of the worst decisions the powers that be decided was to give Alex a story arc of her own that was just about a love interest, getting married and having a kid etc. How is that different from what any man or woman in the low enforcement faces; why is she angsting about it so much? Why isn't her arc never connected to the main plot of the season so that it actually makes sense?

There could have been so many decisions; have Alex be the director of DEO and have Alex and Kara argue over which method to use. Have Alex consider just being a scientist and then get latched onto the Reign situation. Have her weigh in on the Lena situation.

Most of Alex only parts have been less interesting or even filler like the past couple of episodes because none of it was connected to Kara's arc at all. Unlike Season One where even the romance they teased, the Jeremiah arc and everything was connected to Kara in some way.

Oh... and I think they should not have introduced the kid at all. I was indifferent so far, but now I am convinced because she basically adds nothing to Kara's story. We haven't got even one scene of the two of them actually interacting so far this season and we are at episode 20.

Coming back to Kara and Lena. I still feel they could have done it in a better way because that would have made all her angst about losing her identity thing convincing. Now, it appears she thinks Kara Danvers is her subterfuge. At least, that is what I got from the episode. If they are connecting to the earlier I just want to be Kryptonian part then they are not doing a good job of it in my opinion.

Anyways... for this episode:

I liked Mon El in this episode, and liked the little boy scene as well; but it had no place in the storyline... I didn't see the point. I am starting to agree with many others who suggested that have Alex accompany her this episode would have been so much better.

The Alex storyline could have been a standalone arc earlier in the season or even in S4. It basically served no plot here and was out of place, but it could have been just a murder mystery kind of thing like Midvale with Kara there and no Ruby. It'd have been a fun filler then just like they did with Edge this season.

Argo:
--They didn't touch on the difference in cultures.
--They didn't exactly explain why Kara feels suddenly that her secret identity (which one?) is overwhelming. I mean, as I mentioned, I got it was about Lena... but that seems trivial on the whole. Mainly because they never gave us an adequate answer why Kara lies to Lena. If we had at least gotten that in the earlier episodes (like the two Edge episode), with Kara worrying that Lena will reject her... or be very angry.. then, it would have made more sense.
--Doesn't really show how Kara would feel betwixt and between. Doesn't show the horror or ambivalence of a kid who grows up, meets her parents and culture for the first time as a grown up and realises that her idolised version is incorrect. Medusa I think did it better.

On the whole. Everything felt shallow.

And.. even Lena-Reign part felt like filler considering nothing happened until Kara arrived and the kill switch was very non-kill.

I hate that Kara almost never talks about her father or deals with his death. Everything is always about her mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"