Supergirl Episode 3.23 "Battles Lost and Won" - SEASON FINALE (SPOILERS)

So the rumor that they got rid of half hte male cast is true...

I also said that Mon-El's endgame is the Legion of Superheroes and that they have to stay true to the comics. Supergirl was doing fine long before Mon-El.

Now we also know that the second Kara in Siberia is inspired by Superman: Red Sun. They will have to distinguish this Kara double from Bizarro Girl and Overgirl.

Whats the end game though? Is this Kara going to get reabsorbed into regular Kara? Because no thank you.

Whats the end game though? Is this Kara going to get reabsorbed into regular Kara? Because no thank you.

What happened with Sam and Reign may give them an idea on how to deal with Dark Supergirl for the 4th season.

I'm not sure how they would know how to re-absorb evil Kara into our Kara based on what happened with Sam and Reign.

This is going to be a combination of Superman: Red Sun and the Bad Supergirl storyline from the comics. I wonder when they do the upcoming crossover with Batwoman will we see them teaming up to fight evil Kara in Siberia.

is that the really the real Brainiac 5 or is that the original Brainiac

Wow. Alot to take in from the finale. It had illusions to Man of Steel, Superman the movie, Iron Man, and a bit of Superman Red Sun at the end.

I really enjoyed it. I'm glad they didn't come up with a gimmick which made Kara have to go away or be locked away..."cough) Flash (cough)...:cwink:

So Benoist is play the big bad next season? We know she can play a villain well from the crossover but I gotta think she'll be quite different from the SS version in the crossover.

I can't till it comes back this fall.

Ok, just watched. Overall, a pretty solid finale. Last year had it beaten on spectacle, but this had better character stuff, imo.

-So much happened here that I'm happy about: Mon-El is gone, trading Winn for Brainiac 5, Supergirl getting her Legion ring, the spoilers about Lena going "full mad scientist" and experimenting on people being bogus (because that just simply would have seemed ridiculously rushed/forced based on where Lena is now). These are all very good things for S4, imo.

-Not sure what they're planning with J'onn, but it feels like they're inching closer the more nomadic J'onn of the comics. Alex as DEO director is a nice shake-up.

-I'm NEVER a fan the whole "turn back time and get a re-do" trope. Hated it in Superman: The Movie, hated it here.

-Otherwise, the action was fairly well done despite the usual dodgy green screen, imo.

-I thought the parallels between Mon-El and Kara, both trying to go back to their past believing they belonged there, only to realize that's not the case anymore for either of them, was a nice touch.

-Wrapping up (aside from the S4 cliffhanger) with a Danvers sisters couch scene was the right move. Still the heart of the show.

Finally, on the topic of S4, this whole Red Son thing is being blown way out of proportion, imo. Red Son is a "what if" story about if Superman had landed in the Soviet Union instead of Kansas and been raised as a communist. That's obviously not what's happening here with the SG doppelganger. AT MOST, I can see how we might get a cute nod or two to Red Son, but nothing so significant as to say this is a story particularly inspired by that. This looks to be a pretty straight-forward black kryptonite setup to me. And if that's the case, I don't see it being a full season-long arc. There were those casting sides that suspiciously sounded like [blackout]Manchester Black[/blackout], so maybe some here like myself who were hoping they'd do multiple smaller arcs instead of one long one next season might get their wish.

Overall, again despite some major complaints, I still feel this season was another improvement over the last one. The execution varied and it did hit a surprising and unfortunate late-season slump when it dropped the ball with what SHOULD have been its most important arc yet, but despite that, it was generally tighter and more focused thematically, narratively and emotionally than both previous seasons, imo. And they FINALLY gave us a decent main villain. And based on this finale, I think the writers have made it clear that they're aware of certain elements that don't work or have been stagnant and aim to remedy that, so I'm quite optimistic about next season continuing to improve. The pieces they have in place for next season are promising, imo.

Also, I just want to point out, with the way they left things: they can still do a proper New Krypton arc. This little mini-Argo City arc could have actually served as the perfect set-up for it. :D

Last edited:
Time-travel is introduced in Earth-38.

I'm glad Lena didn't go insane and experiment on people as there was no lead-up to it at all. I like her as she is now with a new version of Miss Tessmacher I like.

I agree that Argo City could have lead straight into New Krypton.

The moment Supergirl used Black Kryptonite, she was going to be split in two.

Melissa can play a villain as we saw in the crossover and I suspect that the other Kara in Siberia would be similar. I can see her wearing the Overgirl suit but with the :super: symbol.

Melissa can play a villain as we saw in the crossover and I suspect that the other Kara in Siberia would be similar. I can see her wearing the Overgirl suit but with the :super: symbol.

hammer and sickle symbol (like in the comic) or no symbol imo.

Fyi they confirmed they are adapting Red Son.

People are going to think that Saturn Girl is imitating Jean Grey, but it's really the other way around because the Legion of Superheroes were created before the X-Men.

Well... The original Saturn Girl only had various telepathic abilities. It was much later (post Jean Grey) that her repertoire was expanded to include kick-ash telekinesis.

Solid finale considering all the goodbyes they had to address.

Kara choosing earth over Argo makes sense. Why would her mother choose Argo over her? THAT makes no sense.

For a hot minute, I thought they were setting up a Lena/Alex thing talking about having a kid.

They REALLY need to do a Superboy thing and pull Kara into the future to help out the Legion for an ep or 2. Heck, do it as next year's crossover event and take the whole gang.

It's going to be a rough year for Melissa if she has to play herself and the big bad for all the eps. It will be good for the CW's bottom line, though.

I don't see the "Red Son" adaptation being a full season arc....

This season was a mixed bag for me....

Episodes 1-9 I thought were very well done, and the best of the 3 seasons, then it went downhill from there.... the eps 10-13 were pretty good....but towards the end of the season eps. 20 and 21 were, for me....some of the weakest episodes of the Supergirl run...22 was a little better, and 23 was a nice close out of the season.

One thing was very disappointed in was that the scene between Kara and the little boy was cut....they have shown Supergirl so little with the kiddos, they did it nicely with Mon-el and that scene really would have been a nice touch for the finale.

This show just needs to commit and stop taking the easy way out. That was my biggest problem with the finale.

Was pretty underwhelmed by the finale here. For me it felt pretty chaotic, and not in a good way. Last weeks cliffhanger was taken care of in the first eight minutes before the credits, rushing M'rin's departure. It was the first of a couple of stalls in the episode where they would have benefited by drawing them out and keeping the pace up.

The action scenes were good for the most part and I did like Supergirl fighting alongside Supermom. But then we get to the main fight and find that Sam's entire struggle with her 'powers' is a nothing burger. She reaches the fountain, floats above the bed, speeds away - and then stabs Reign in the back... No big fights, no showdown between the two - and then somehow she's fully human at the end..?
What happened to her Kryptonian powers?
Then there's the deaths of the Legion and Alura, all of which happened way too fast and didn't give me any feelz. Saturn Girl and Brainy died in the receding background!
And all because Kara decided she may have to kill Reign to stop her.??! No, sorry, don't buy it.
They could have done this so much better without the sudden time travel schtick.
And before that there's Reign being burned alive in the pit that she has already been in before and suffered no harm from...
For me it was very disjointed and probably the worst finale of the entire series.

There were some nice parts, such as Winn's goodbye and Kara and Alex on the couch at the end, but not enough to get it above a 6 for me.

Hopefully, next season will have some better directing and pacing, a Power Bible they can stick to, and just better outcomes than something rushed and jumbled.

This entire last half of the season felt chaotic to me....however, in the finale I thought they closed out pretty well....

meh... this show just isn't that good. I want it to be, but it's not.

I don't think we've talked about it, but it's weird that the Legion was totes cool with changing the future in the past. That's usually anathema in these stories.

meh... this show just isn't that good. I want it to be, but it's not.
I couldn't agree more. This episode wrapped things up, but also felt flat.

Jon's gone walkabout, Winn has gone back to the future, although with time travel involved, couldn't Winn just return to the moment he left when he's done in the future? That's one element of time travel that seems conveniently overlooked in these shows; the time that's passed is usually coherent across the shows.

Sara showing up after her Dad gets shot for example? Or unable to save (prime) Laurel from death. Imra & Brainy not returning the moment they left.

- "Meanwhile Superman saved Madagascar", "kick some Arse Clark" - loved that!
- The imagery into M'yrnn's fathers memories was fantastic
- I think watching the opening five minutes you can see why the previous episodes didn't have much in the way of action, that must have been expensive.
- M'yrnn father dying broke my heart :csad:
- Distant relative, the plague, BRAINIAC! Does that mean we're gonna get to se himL maybe they could just get the makeup and costume from the vastly superior Krypton.
- The fight between Supergirl and Reign was badass!
- Time travel tut tut Kara, what would Barry say? haha but man that was cool
- Mon El going back yo the future seems more to do with saving the world than going back to Imra, she must feel pretty crappy right now.
- I love that Kara got the Legion ring, definitely seems like we'll be getting a look into the future next season which is probably when Winn will return and Mon El-Kara will get some final closure.
- When Alura said that she was glad there would be no more of that element on Earth anymore did Lena give a look or was it just me?
- Kara in Siberia? Guess this is the [blackout]Red Son[/blackout] I've been hearing about. Should be interesting.

Dislikes

- How the hell is Coville still alive?
- Reign didn't have to swallow the bad water, that was poorly done
- So is J'onn not gonna be a regular next season too?
- Jimmy revealing he's Guardian is a bit silly.
- the last ten mins went way too long and way too soppy.

Overall Thoughts

I've really has a hard time with this season, it's been up and done with the odd good moment here or there. Midvale for me was easily the high point of the season, probably mostly because it was a love letter to my favourite TV show ever Smallville. But with all credit where it's due, the finale was really good. Of all the season finales I've seen from the DCTV shows this year this one has been the strongest for sure. All in all a very strong 8/10.

The first half of this season was good, but I think the hiatus hurt its momentum in the second half until the last several episodes.

- "Meanwhile Superman saved Madagascar", "kick some Arse Clark" - loved that!
- The imagery into M'yrnn's fathers memories was fantastic
- I think watching the opening five minutes you can see why the previous episodes didn't have much in the way of action, that must have been expensive.
- M'yrnn father dying broke my heart :csad:
- Distant relative, the plague, BRAINIAC! Does that mean we're gonna get to se himL maybe they could just get the makeup and costume from the vastly superior Krypton.
- The fight between Supergirl and Reign was badass!
- Time travel tut tut Kara, what would Barry say? haha but man that was cool
- Mon El going back yo the future seems more to do with saving the world than going back to Imra, she must feel pretty crappy right now.
- I love that Kara got the Legion ring, definitely seems like we'll be getting a look into the future next season which is probably when Winn will return and Mon El-Kara will get some final closure.
- When Alura said that she was glad there would be no more of that element on Earth anymore did Lena give a look or was it just me?
- Kara in Siberia? Guess this is the [blackout]Red Son[/blackout] I've been hearing about. Should be interesting.

Dislikes

- How the hell is Coville still alive?
- Reign didn't have to swallow the bad water, that was poorly done
- So is J'onn not gonna be a regular next season too?
- Jimmy revealing he's Guardian is a bit silly.
- the last ten mins went way too long and way too soppy.

Overall Thoughts

I've really has a hard time with this season, it's been up and done with the odd good moment here or there. Midvale for me was easily the high point of the season, probably mostly because it was a love letter to my favourite TV show ever Smallville. But with all credit where it's due, the finale was really good. Of all the season finales I've seen from the DCTV shows this year this one has been the strongest for sure. All in all a very strong 8/10.

I like that little aside comment, letting people know that Superman is doing his own thing, even if it is tied to the episode.

For the time travel, as soon as everyone was getting killed that was thr first thought in my head. Kara's going to time travel.

I did like that she got the Legion Ring. At least she'll be able to do what she should have been able to do from the start, and that's not suffocate in space! Though since there was a Legion Ring in the Fortress of Solitude they could have done that sooner.

For Mon'El, they got their closure. I just wish he had gone back to the future with for Imra as well as to save it. I don't think they needed to deep-six their relationship in the process.
I would have liked it better if he had made a conscious choice between Kara and Imra rather than him losing them both.
And yes, Lena did give a look... Check out her last scene.:cwink:

I do hope Alura stays on the show. Argo isn't that far away and they still have the communicator that they can use to talk. Plus, I'm assuming she used J'onn's ship to get back, so they have that to if they want to meet face to face. And the transporter! Maybe she used it to get back.

In the future, I would like to see a New Krypton story line, just without the bitter ending.

Still better than Arrow and Flash Season 3. It was an overall good season. Stumbled a bit at the end, but it didn't ruin the whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"