The Force Awakens Episode VII Music Composer?

I think you are giving Lucas a bit too much credit there.

I would agree that the music felt more like a character in the previous films.

That said, I still enjoyed the score. I think Rey's theme in particular is fairly strong, and it really got stuck in my head after watching the film a second time.

The Jedi Steps theme at the end is incredible too. Really gives you chills and it's driving that entire moment. So this film definitely had moments that allowed the music to take over, which I appreciated.

The score was definitely a call back to the original trilogy with the classic theme. I like Rey's theme and how it echo back to The Force/Skywalker theme.

I do love the score, but after seeing the film I will say it does feel less iconic than the others. But only slightly ;)

I would agree that the music felt more like a character in the previous films.

That said, I still enjoyed the score. I think Rey's theme in particular is fairly strong, and it really got stuck in my head after watching the film a second time.

The Jedi Steps theme at the end is incredible too. Really gives you chills and it's driving that entire moment. So this film definitely had moments that allowed the music to take over, which I appreciated.

Much agreed, my man.

I'm assuming we heard the "Imperial March" for the last time in TFA, but I hope they expand on Kylo Ren's theme a little more.

its been said before in here but I would like to see Michael Giacchino take the reigns once williams is finished

He would be a worthy successor

Much agreed, my man.

I'm assuming we heard the "Imperial March" for the last time in TFA, but I hope they expand on Kylo Ren's theme a little more.

We might hear it in Rogue One.

This soundtrack has really grown on me over the past couple of weeks. I wasn't over keen the first time I heard it, but it was definitely better when watching the film. After more viewings, and more listens to the soundtrack, I'm happy enough it isn't overpowering and is a little more reigned in than some soundtracks.

If there's one complaint I have about many films, it's that the soundtrack always seems to be present. No matter what is going on on-screen, the music is always playing. There's always some little beat in the background or pulsating theme building up and it ruins the films for me because it feels like they're rushing me through the moment, trying to build suspense that isn't there through dialogue but through the music.

Spectre was one film I felt did this more recent, and it was very annoying.

But here the soundtrack is bombastic when it needs to be, and lighter when it should be. There are themes at play, without them being too obvious or in your face right now, and I can see that expanding in VIII.

Not only that, and I don't know how other people feel, I'm also happy I could actually hear what the bloody actors were saying in this film. I don't recall a single moment where I didn't understand what was being said, even when they were whispering or mumbling - the mumbling being less because of poor acting, more because the moment called for it. Anything I missed was my own fault, for zoning out, or in moments where commands are being given or two or three people talk at once in quick succession. But that's to be expected.

At no point did the music drown anyone out, and everything was clear. I hate so many films today because the music seems to take the front of it all, rather than dialogue. As far as I'm concerned, if I can't hear the actors talking over the music, or the actors mumble their way through the film, or the sound mix is bad enough there's an unusual amount of bass behind the voices that make them harder to hear - I can't enjoy the film. Kingsman was like that. I wanted to like it, couldn't hear the actors, music too loud/over the top.

And back to the soundtrack - I always found with the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy that each film had two or three stand out tracks, but the rest were average outside the film itself. Put all three films best pieces together, you get an entire soundtracks worth of good music. So I look forward to VIII, to hear new themes and build up a favourite list over time.

Definitely the weakest of all the films. It almost feels more like a Williams score for another film, like say indy, than a Williams star wars score. As many have stated, the one thing I was counting on is that I wouldn't have to worry about the score because Williams is star wars. But the score ended up just not exciting or moving me aside from a few key moments. Williams did such an amazing job elevating the prequels that I hope he really brings it for the sequels. If I could try to pinpoint my criticism, I would just say that it wasn't as bombastic as usual Williams fare and strayed more towards his whimsical offerings. And while I enjoy it when he's more playful with hid arrangements, think harry potter, not on a star wars film.

I haven't listened to much of the score itself outside of Rey's Theme and The Jedi Steps. Which are just hhhnnggg.

There is plenty of bombastic, it is just spread out more, which I like.

Last edited:
This soundtrack has really grown on me over the past couple of weeks. I wasn't over keen the first time I heard it, but it was definitely better when watching the film. After more viewings, and more listens to the soundtrack, I'm happy enough it isn't overpowering and is a little more reigned in than some soundtracks.

If there's one complaint I have about many films, it's that the soundtrack always seems to be present. No matter what is going on on-screen, the music is always playing. There's always some little beat in the background or pulsating theme building up and it ruins the films for me because it feels like they're rushing me through the moment, trying to build suspense that isn't there through dialogue but through the music.

Spectre was one film I felt did this more recent, and it was very annoying.

But here the soundtrack is bombastic when it needs to be, and lighter when it should be. There are themes at play, without them being too obvious or in your face right now, and I can see that expanding in VIII.

Not only that, and I don't know how other people feel, I'm also happy I could actually hear what the bloody actors were saying in this film. I don't recall a single moment where I didn't understand what was being said, even when they were whispering or mumbling - the mumbling being less because of poor acting, more because the moment called for it. Anything I missed was my own fault, for zoning out, or in moments where commands are being given or two or three people talk at once in quick succession. But that's to be expected.

At no point did the music drown anyone out, and everything was clear. I hate so many films today because the music seems to take the front of it all, rather than dialogue. As far as I'm concerned, if I can't hear the actors talking over the music, or the actors mumble their way through the film, or the sound mix is bad enough there's an unusual amount of bass behind the voices that make them harder to hear - I can't enjoy the film. Kingsman was like that. I wanted to like it, couldn't hear the actors, music too loud/over the top.

And back to the soundtrack - I always found with the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy that each film had two or three stand out tracks, but the rest were average outside the film itself. Put all three films best pieces together, you get an entire soundtracks worth of good music. So I look forward to VIII, to hear new themes and build up a favourite list over time.[/QUOTE
In total agreement here ,especially about the soundtrack not drowning out the actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"