Eric Bana update on Hulk 2

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
17,587
Reaction score
1
Points
31
How the "F" did I miss this 3 days ago?

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1531687/05122006/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

05.12.2006 7:08 PM EDT

'Hulk' Sequel Could Leave Eric Bana Green With Envy

First installment's star says he hasn't been approached about in-the-works follow-up.



Eric Bana
Photo: Vince Bucci/ Getty Images


Comic book junkies got their minds blown last week when Marvel Comics announced that it's sinking big bucks into a bundle of blockbuster superhero movies. Building on the cinematic success of characters like Spider-Man and X-Men, the gatekeepers have


Photos, audio and video from this story
Marvel Superheroes



since begun transforming a slew of characters ranging from household names (Captain America) to obscure cult figures (Ant-Man) into popcorn-selling super-flicks.

One commissioned screenplay, however, is raising substantially more controversy than the others (see "Marvel Hires Hollywood Heavyweights For Slate Of Superheroes"). It's the sequel to "The Hulk," the 2003 flick that reportedly grossed north of $130 million yet was considered a failure by many fans and critics. Internet debates have already begun to rage over the second installment, with some arguing that director Ang Lee's cerebral story line should be maintained and others insisting that the iconic character should be rebooted.

One person who hadn't weighed in on the issue was "Hulk" star Eric Bana — until now. Recently, the actor admitted that if someone else were allowed to take over his superhero role, it would leave him green with envy.

"Look, I'm really proud of it," the 37-year-old "Munich" star said, defending the flick many considered too smart for its own good. "It's actually one of those movies that people come up to me and say, 'I just saw it on DVD and wow, it's pretty incredible.' "

Such comments are all the more reason why Bana said he's happy to hear that a theatrically released sequel is in the works — even if Marvel hasn't approached him yet about starring in it. "No, they haven't," he said. "I don't know anything about it."

Acknowledging the fan gripes he also continues to receive three years later, Bana expressed hope that a sequel would offer him the chance to give fans something closer to the popcorn fare many originally hoped for. "I would like to see him take on a less serious tone," the actor said. "That's just me personally. I would probably like it to be a little lighter."


Looking for the newest, hottest trailers?

Check out "Casino Royale," "Lady in the Water," "Click," "Rock The Bells" and more, on Overdrive.


What that could mean is more punch lines and fewer existential quandaries. "It wasn't the kind of movie that had people standing and cheering in the aisles," Bana admitted. "I think maybe a lot of people wanted to do that."

Now, genetic scientist Bruce Banner is undergoing another transformation, this one at the hands of "X-Men: The Last Stand" mastermind Zak Penn. "I am familiar with his work," Bana said of the writer assigned to the sequel. "We'll have to wait and see [what Penn comes up with] ... I haven't spoken to anyone, so I really wouldn't have a clue."

The "Hulk" series will continue to hover in movie limbo in the meantime, sharing company with other financially successful-enough-to-maybe-deserve-sequel films like "The Sum of All Fears" and "The Scorpion King." Unlike those mixed successes, however, the Incredible Hulk offers a world-famous character who many say has yet to bring his A-game.

With the possibility of a second chance, then, Eric Bana will wait for the phone call that might allow him to tear through a few more pairs of pants. Or, if the decision is indeed made to pass him over, it could make Bana angry — and Marvel might not like him when he's angry.

"There are certainly many directions I could take it after the first one," the star speculated. "Whether or not I'll end up being involved is anyone's call."

See everything we've got on "The Hulk."

Check out movies.MTV.com for Hollywood news, photos, reviews, interviews and more.

Want trailers? Visit Movies on MTV Overdrive for the newest, scariest and funniest coming attractions anywhere.


— Larry Carroll

Now that is encouraging news to say the freaking least!!!!!
 
YAY!!!!!!


now, Marvel needs to get on the f**king phone to him :mad:
 
Yep. So it's clear Bana is on board whether he's under contract or not. Marvel needs to work it out since he's officially interested...as he should be.
 
i hope Zak penn finishes the script soon
 
oooh


yes

get him back

the dude is huge now
they got him early and now he's a star and he's commited

PERFECT

now connelly will be tough
 
Thats great news, get on the phone to him now marvel, dont delay as he may join another movie.
 
I sent this story to Mirko yesterday but he never posted it on the front page of The Hype. To me this is important Hulk sequel news because it shows Bana wants the job. Whether he's under contract or not he seems interested. He knows the check is gonna be large.
 
Advanced Dark said:
I sent this story to Mirko yesterday but he never posted it on the front page of The Hype. To me this is important Hulk sequel news because it shows Bana wants the job. Whether he's under contract or not he seems interested. He knows the check is gonna be large.
its not that big a news.
 
Yes! I really hope Avi phones him. Didn't he say in some interview that Hulk 2 could not happen without Bana? Or was it the other way round...
 
Don't call Eric Bana. Call Ed Norton! He would make a way better Bruce Banner AND YOU KNOW IT!
 
Sava said:
its not that big a news.


Sure it is because every quote before from Bana was either negative, distancing from the project, or uninterested. He would also very likely be out of contract before this film is made and all prior articles suggested he wouldn't be in Hulk 2 if his contract ran out. Now suddenly he's interested and is looking forward to the same film that Avi has in mind. That means he'll be back unless Marvel doesn't call him.
 
Advanced Dark said:
Sure it is because every quote before from Bana was either negative, distancing from the project, or uninterested. He would also very likely be out of contract before this film is made and all prior articles suggested he wouldn't be in Hulk 2 if his contract ran out. Now suddenly he's interested and is looking forward to the same film that Avi has in mind. That means he'll be back unless Marvel doesn't call him.
all he's said so far from when the first film came out, just shows that he didnt know what was going on, thats all.
 
That's not true. He seemed to distance himself from the project and acted as if he didn't want to do it though said if they called him he'd have to per the contract but he was never "gung ho" about it or interested to the point of talking about the tone of the film. Now there's legitmate interest.
 
Actors play the game of "i'm interested, I'm not interested" so they can demand higher pay.
 
Advanced Dark said:
That's not true. He seemed to distance himself from the project and acted as if he didn't want to do it though said if they called him he'd have to per the contract but he was never "gung ho" about it or interested to the point of talking about the tone of the film. Now there's legitmate interest.
forget what you heard before the last month, if you were him, would you have comeback to make Hulk 2 with all the crap that was said before?... and remember, you are not a life long hulk fan.
 
^ Huh? I've been enjoying the Hulk since the 70's TV show. I actually watched those when they were new on TV.
 
Advanced Dark said:
^ Huh? I've been enjoying the Hulk since the 70's TV show. I actually watched those when they were new on TV.
think about it in his point of view. He's not a life long fan (atleast, i dont think he is), we kept hearing random s**t about the sequel, then Universal pulled out, then the thing straight to dvd sequel. Would you really wanna comeback when Hulk 2 was like this?
 
^ Oh I gotcha but I don't think anyone believed that Hulk 2 would be direct to DVD. Marvel would never allow Universal to do that per the contract. Must be theatrical release with a certain amount of marketing, and since Avi is a producer they can't just side step him. Perhaps Bana was playing tough to make it difficult for Universal allowing Marvel to get the rights back and him to get a bigger paycheck. :)
 
Advanced Dark said:
^ Oh I gotcha but I don't think anyone believed that Hulk 2 would be direct to DVD. Marvel would never allow Universal to do that per the contract. Must be theatrical release with a certain amount of marketing, and since Avi is a producer they can't just side step him. Perhaps Bana was playing tough to make it difficult for Universal allowing Marvel to get the rights back and him to get a bigger paycheck. :)
if he wanted a bigger paycheck, he would have taken the bond gig. He's always said that he's proud of Hulk 1. I've never got the "i want more money" vibe from him. But whats the use of arguing about that now, he's in Hulk 2, if they talk to the guy first... just say "Hi" Avi
 
Sava said:
if he wanted a bigger paycheck, he would have taken the bond gig. He's always said that he's proud of Hulk 1. I've never got the "i want more money" vibe from him. But whats the use of arguing about that now, he's in Hulk 2, if they talk to the guy first... just say "Hi" Avi

They need to get on the phone to him now to discuss his schedule. We'll know whether he is interested or not within the next year i should imagine, but that interview was definately a positive for me.
 
AVEITWITHJAMON said:
They need to get on the phone to him now to discuss his schedule. We'll know whether he is interested or not within the next year i should imagine, but that review was definately a positive for me.
what review?

over on IMDB, its got Hulk 2 down as 2007 but i doubt that, after Romulus, My Father, he doesnt have anything.
 
Wow so theyre going forward with this huh? Hulk felt like a one shot deal to me, being simply a man and not a hero or such (in fact the ending in the south american jungle wasnt needed imo). I cant envision a sequel to it that would continue the first film. Maybe a reimagining, dunno.
 
Hulk has huge potential as a franchise, that is why the comic has ran so long.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,537
Messages
21,755,779
Members
45,592
Latest member
kathielee
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"