Falcon and Winter Soldier Erin Kellyman is Karli Morganthau, head Flag-Smasher

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by JB-the-Hunter, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

LOL okay. Fingers crossed she puts on a cape by the end of the show.

Dark Raven likes this.
  2. Schlosser85 Registered

White South Africans are typically of Dutch descent.

Bren and KevTravels like this.
  3. roxas99 Registered

Not only do I not agree with you at all.
    At this point I actually think she is becoming a far more interesting character than the space ghost
    wannabe in the comics. Now maybe during the first few episodes I would have agreed but the moment she blows up that building at the end of episode 3 I thought they were taking her character
    in a far darker and more interesting direction

Plus I loved her scene with Sam Wilson because on the one hand like Sam I can clearly see that she is someone who truly believes they are doing the right thing, but on the other hand the show does a great job at making it very clear that she is still a dangerous terrorist who is willing kill or threaten anybody who gets in the way of her goals

In a way she and John walker are both the same since They both started out with good intentions, but the power they were given ended going to their heads and now they have become they very thing they claimed they hated in the first place

4. Schlosser85 Registered

All of the show's antagonists, Walker, Karli, and Zemo, are all acting in what they believe is righteous cause. It's a little more gray area and you could argue the show doesn't really even have one clear-cut "villain", except maybe The Power Broker whom we haven't seen yet.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  5. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I want Space Ghost lol :argh:

At the moment she seems like someone who would've appeared in Agents of SHIELD. I could easily see Coulson having the exact same conversation with her as Sam did. Yes, she might have complex motivations and believe she's doing right but I still find her boring and not very likeable. If this had been a movie she probably would've gotten some kind of costume instead of a glorified hockey mask.

I bet every actor who appears in the MCU secretly wishes they wore a costume.

6. samsnee Ok

I find her to be boring. Whenever she’s on screen the show comes to a halt.

psylockolussus and Dark Raven like this.
  7. The Overlord Registered

Why would an anarchist, who thinks she is in the right and wants to keep a low profile dress up like Space Ghost?

Karli is dressed similar to how real anarchists dress:

Black bloc - Wikipedia

Deck Rickard and Schlosser85 like this.
  8. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If everyone is in costume after a while then she would be keeping a low profile dressed as Space Ghost. It would be like showing up to a fancy dress party in costume and blending in as opposed to not coming in costume and then being very conspicuous.

And not all anarchists might want to keep a low profile anyway because they're raging against the establishment. So if no-one else is in costume then dressing up as Space Ghost would be going against the flow and upsetting the order.

Also they can do an MCU version of the costume that is not as gaudy just like the Captain America costume isn't exactly like the classic comic version.

#33 Dark Raven, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  9. djsunyc Registered

it's a shame their story had to be re-shot. would've liked to see the original storyline b/c the flagsmashers, while decent, are still the weakest part of the show.

10. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes Karli and finds her to be an interesting antagonist. And yeah, I said something similar in another thread that she and Walker are sort of mirror images of each other in that they both started out with good intentions (and still on some level have them) but are willing to do terrible things for what they believe to be the greater good.

WatchProtect likes this.
  11. Bren Forevernoob

I don't dislike her. Her scene with Sam was cool.
    But other than that, she and the flagsmashers are pretty bland..

12. The Overlord Registered

But anarchists probably like disguises they ditch easily and blend in with a crowd after they have done. Karli can just slip her mask into a gym bag or something and blend into a crowd, taking off a supervillain costume when you want to get away is far more tricky. Having a cape and clunky boots is not great for being quick and anarchists usually favor being fast to evade opponents. I also think anarchists would think a fancy costume would be elitist and these Flag Smashers do not seem to have the money for fancy costumes.

Do we know how the story changed due to Covid?

13. KevTravels Registered

But it doesn't seem right for the character. It's just seems too soft for someone who's a radical with a revolutionary following/message.

14. KevTravels Registered

It'd have been nice if we got like a scene of a news anchor interviewing experts or regular people and getting their view of the Flagsmashers. Do folks see them as radicals or someone legitimately standing up for the way of the world during the blip?

15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I've seen White South Africans with the surname "Morganthal" which is very similar to Morganthau.

I can even imagine the name Karli Morganthau said with an Afrikaans accent and sounding like it would totally fit.

South Africans too soft? I've seen many who are quite forceful and confident, and whose accents sound fairly harsh. Not soft at all.

16. The Overlord Registered

Karli is a gender-flipped version of Karl Morganthau, who was supposed to be Swiss in the comics.

Kev4000 and Schlosser85 like this.
  17. Bren Forevernoob

I'm South African and we're many things, but bland isn't one of them hahaha

MessiahDecoy123 likes this.
  18. KevTravels Registered

I never said South Africans were soft. I said her character is soft. And the character is clearly English judging by her accent though I'd have wished she was South African or Polish or whatever.

19. Dr. Evil Registered

Does she make it out of this show alive? Right now I have no idea.

20. Bren Forevernoob

I think she's going to either make a noble sacrifice and die saving someone thanks to Sam inspiring her, or she'll stop and give herself up because of Sam inspiring her.

I kinda think she won't die.

21. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I lean to Karli living. They've set up Karli and John as dark mirrors of each other, and for Sam, the failure state would be the two of them killing each other. He's basically got to save both to really win, even if that means beating the crap out of both of them.

Bren likes this.
  22. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Yeah, I think she will survive too. Erin is so young; you’d have to think that Marvel probably cast her because she could play the role for a long time. I think if this was a one-off, they might have cast an older actor in the role. Maybe not, but the character could have easily been retooled a bit to suit an older actress. Of course, maybe Erin just wowed them. But given that Marvel tends to plant seeds for the future, I think casting a young, up-and-comer like her could mean they’ll use her again down the line.

23. super85 Registered

Not particulary impressed with the actress or the character. Seems like a bad TV show character in a production that othervise is of cinematic quality.

Shuri, Dark Raven and GREEN =w= DAY like this.
  24. Schlosser85 Registered

I found her marginally more interesting this last episode with the conversation with Sam and everything, but overall she's pretty bland and the whole Flagsmashers subplot feels like a half-baked plot device and probably the least interesting part of the show.

25. Zarex Registered

Since we really haven't got to know or care much about Karli or her underlings (which one was beheaded?), they probably should have handled the Flag Smashers stuff in a single episode. There were some vials of serum sold on the black market and/or stolen, our boys try to recover it, Sam tries to talk the leader down but chaos and John Walker ensues. The end, onto the next set of vials out in the wild. Maybe hunt them down at an underground super soldier fight club or a high end spa that offers its clients the ultimate in physical makeovers for the right price.