Falcon and Winter Soldier Erin Kellyman is Karli Morganthau, head Flag-Smasher

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by JB-the-Hunter, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Karli has been the most boring character of the show so far. She just seems like your run of the mill TV terrorist.

2. samsnee Ok

I literally fast forward through her scenes unless Sam is in them.

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. djsunyc Registered

unfortunate...covid messed up their storyline.

TheVileOne and Kane52630 like this.
  4. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

I dunno why, but I get the feeling that Karli’s right hand man Dovich will turn on her. The looks he’s given her, questioning her for blowing up the GRC building with people still inside, and then the look of disgust to see Karli now working with Batroc in the most recent episode. Guy is not happy to see how things have been turning out

Deck Rickard likes this.
  5. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Oh? How so?

6. djsunyc Registered

the rumor is they had to re-work and re-shoot alot b/c the original storyline involved a virus released by some group and them stealing vaccines to stop it.

7. Asharad Registered

That doesn't fit with Walker's story though unless he took a different "vaccine".

TheVileOne likes this.
  8. Dr. Evil Registered

She's a lot like Tyler Hayward in WandaVision for me, not someone I want to see again if she survives. On the other hand, John Walker is like Agatha Harkness, someone I hope we see again.

Shuri, Dark Raven, Iceman and 2 others like this.
  9. TheVileOne Registered

What's the source of this so-called rumor?

10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Definitely agreed on all of that. :up:

11. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

The Flagsmasher in the comics made sense, this revamped version is just a overwhelming brat who sense of purpose is that of terrorist . I feel no symptomatic feelings for her.

Dark Raven and GREEN =w= DAY like this.
  12. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I really like her performance and character. The motivations definitely make sense to me. They just haven't succeeded in making the Flagsmashers actually feel like a compelling central plotline. They feel much more like secondary figures. I'd thought the Power Broker would be the Big Bad, but apparently not.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  13. Schlosser85 Registered

Unless something changes in the last episode, this show has a slew of more-or-less antagonists like Zemo, Walker, Karli and The Flagsmashers, etc., but it doesn't really have a "Big Bad", unless there's finally some big reveal in the finale re: The Power Broker.

I still think it's good enough as is, but it is a little bit of a weird structure that there's not really one main real full-blown "villain".

14. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

They’re not super compelling but in typical Marvel form it doesn’t really dampen my enjoyment. On paper their ideology and motivation sounds interesting enough but in execution it’s just muddled bad guy behavior.

I also heard the rumor about the vaccine/pandemic reshoots. No idea if it’s true but several months ago I read that the original edit featured a virus used as a biological weapon.

15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think Karli would have been considered the main villain if she had been executed at all well but most people will want to forget all about her asap and I’m not surprised she is being discounted in importance and compared to others who are clearly playing a different part.

Dark Raven likes this.
  16. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Of all the things in this show, Karli and the Flagsmashers have been the weakest storyline and characters. They don't feel like much of a threat and their motives are so muddled. I think another big part of what's not working is we've not really seen much of the GRC and why they should be fought so hard against by the Flagsmashers.

Schlosser85 and Dark Raven like this.
  17. WatchProtect Registered

I've loved the FlagSmashers so far but maybe I'm crazy?

The snap happened and people from all across the world came together and helped each other, that help being life saving for some people, they got comfortable in their new lives.

Then the snapped happened again and people came back and instead of helping the unaffected and keeping borders open they decided to throw the last 5 years out and tell everyone to go back to living in poverty, filth ect.

The problem Is that for people who didn't get snapped they lost a new life that they grew into and are now being forced back to the places they escaped. Forcefully and without the help the Governments promised.

I'd be upset too.

CaptainWagner and Deck Rickard like this.
  18. Bren Forevernoob

I see why they're upset. I don't see why they have to be boring.

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This makes Karli all the worse. It’s such a great set up and then we have a villain who is less memorable (and way more bland) than the early MCU villains. This is a Magneto level background absolutely wasted with such a sleep-inducing execution.

Shuri and Dark Raven like this.
  20. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Please don't! She's so boring. I have no desire to see her showing up ever again in the MCU.

And how did Erin wow them? Were they so deprived of seeing any actors after COVID that anyone would've looked good?

21. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Don’t worry, she’ll wear a Space Ghost costume in future appearances

22. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

The idea she represents is solid but the execution I've been underwhelmed by. In the grand scheme of things Karli will define the word forgettable in the MCU but perhaps that's the point; just one of many victims corrupted by the actions of Thanos and the ensuing fallout.

Batmannerism and Dark Raven like this.
  23. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I definitely agree on that. And who knows if we'll ever really know how much of that was because Disney decided "we can't include a virus in this show, hurry up and half-*** some rewrites." As if the number one movie on streaming the first couple months of quarantine wasn't "Contagion."

Kellyman is a great actress. She showed how charismatic she can be in "Solo." Given her role here and in 'Andor,' it seems like they're banking on making her a star, so I hope there's much better content (and a Space Ghost costume) to come.

24. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Didn’t realize she was in Andor, though that makes sense. She’s also in that new Willow series coming out so Disney clearly likes her.

25. Schlosser85 Registered

I assume she's playing the same character in Andor as she did in Solo?