Escape Room | Sony Pictures

Not really a horror movie, but still a very nice little thriller. Its much in the vein of a "Saw for pre-teens" and it has some pretty good moments. I think it should've gone with a hard "R" rating to take it to the next level and make it a genuine horror film.

The first 15 minutes were kind of slow and the last 15 minutes are eye-rolling, but the middle is pretty much solid thrill-a-minute action, moving at a nice brisk pace. Some of the dialogue and just about all of the jokes were downright terrible, but you don't really get a chance to dwell on the bad as the puzzles and the players' desperation to solve them pretty much dominate the moment. And the twist at the end you really see it coming a mile away, but still wasn't too terrible. They left room for more, so we'll see how well this does in the box office. My guess is it cracks $50M and gets a sequel.

6/10

Some of the Horror press are loving this...but its the same Horror press that seem to REALLY overhype bad movies that happen to give them set exclusives or advertising...so I'm probably going to wait for the Netflix to watch this one.

Also, I've seen 2 other Horror movies in the past 6 months called Escape Room. I guess it was bound to be a trend.

Reading the spoilers, it basically sounds like Saw?

I saw it earlier today, it was a very solid Cube/Saw/Circle inspired film... until the very end. You can tell it was studio interference because they had an ending but they kept going and going to incredibly dumb routes.

It went from a 8.5/10 to a 7.5/10.

Seeing it soon off your review. :up:

ADDING: Would say 7/10. The first act (which is a slow burn where I don’t see all of the scenes as integral to the plot) and the end (which did come off as studio interference for sequels) 6.5, but the middle a solid 7.5. So in-between there.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this a lot more than the Saw movies. i can't wait to see if Sony can milk multiple movies out of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"