Eternals Eternals Spoilers Thread

I do think this movie starts off strong. I liked the stuff with Sersei, Dane and Sprite in London, the first big fight sequence there was pretty cool but the second act brings it down. It picks back up in the third act when the twist with Ikaris is revealed. I liked Black Widow and Shang-Chi a bit more than this, but this had the better third act IMO

I hate the sequel-baiting. This movie didn’t need a cliffhanger; I thought that’s what post-credit scenes are for?

I think I would have dropped the Starfox / Pip reveal scene and moved the film’s final scene to a post-credit. Harry Styles just seemed random. Instead end the film with the Eternals going their separate ways in a montage sequence—either with a Ajak narration (tying back to something earlier in the film), or an upbeat song to give audiences that Marvel vibe walking out the theater.

And the Black Knight post credit scene should have revealed Mahershala Ali as Blade on camera, even proto-Blade if Feige and co. haven’t quite settled on a final look yet.

If she's willing to tell us now, why not just show him onscreen?
Maybe it was just an easy voice over but he was not physically able to be there. I don't think Blade is filming yet so maybe he does not have the total look yet. Didn't they say the last credit scene was not at the premier?

The fight scenes were fun to watch; I especially liked watching the team dynamics. Makes me excited for what Marvel will do with X-Men. Those characters are in need of a good team fight scene.

That being said, and as someone not super familiar with the Eternals comics, I wish the Eternals’ powers were more visually distinct. The Kirby shapes were fine enough, but the golden energy color across all the characters was a little bland. Not to mention very similar to Dr. Strange. Maybe just switching the colors to match each uniform?

I enjoyed this movie. It’s not going to be for everyone because it’s so different from their normal stuff.

Three things really annoyed me though.

The ending was too open ended
Kingo not being in the final battle
Everyone using modern slang and dialect in the flashbacks

I think it would have been cool if the Eternals looked different / more reflected each era that each flashback took place in. Especially Sersi who has had such love for humanity since she first arrived on Earth and is adopting their culture in every other way.

Guys one question, is Tiamut dead or he's in some sort of deep sleep??

Guys one question, is Tiamut dead or he's in some sort of deep sleep??
Sersi said something along the lines of "I wish I didn't have to kill Tiamut"

Black Widow, I rather liked. It had characters I liked. But Shang-Chi was better then both imo.
Even though Thor The Dark World is still my least favorite I agree for pretty much the same reason. The characters Of Black Widow I enjoy very much. I love the family dynamic and also I’m looking forward to seeing Yelena again as soon as possible. The characters and how I feel for them is Eternals’ biggest flaw imo (honestly I feel a disconnect to them that I personally felt for Frances McDormand’s character in Nomadland, so maybe that’s a Chloe Zhao thing for me, where I find her work more as something to admire than to be fully engaged with). And Shang Chi is definitely the best phase 4 film so far, because I love the spectacle of it, the mix of marvel and mystical martial arts mythology to it, and the damn characters I absolutely adore!

Maybe it was just an easy voice over but he was not physically able to be there. I don't think Blade is filming yet so maybe he does not have the total look yet. Didn't they say the last credit scene was not at the premier?

That's fair. I still found it to be a bit of a clumsy note to go out on and sort of betrays the spirit of the Marvel Studios post-credit scenes.

My issues with Ajak and Gilgamesh was they died......that was the main issue for me. Sprite did nothing for me at all. Druig was a bit too brooding and we've seen that too many times already in the MCU. Phastos was fine, I wished he had more to do and his son is a bit over the top. Ikarus, Thena and Sersi, while not great, were not terrible. I thought the characters in here were much better than the characters in Thor the Dark World but the characters in that Thor movie have since became more likeable. The use of the villains was the same in both movies. I did enjoy the power sets of the Eternals though, quite different than what we have seen in the MCU so far.

I enjoyed Black Widow, and I liked the characters better than I did with the Eternals, so much so I want to see more of Alexei, Melina and Yelena, especially Yelena. With the Eternals, I don't know if I want to see Ikarus, Sersi, Thena or Druig again. With Shang Chi, I want to see more of Shang Chi and Katy (although I don't want Katy to be an Avenger, more like an ally to the Avengers). I wouldn't mind seeing Xialing and Ying Nan again. My top characters in the Eternals were Makkari, Kingo and Dane Whitman, despite the little screen time he had. I would be open to seeing Phastos again.

The introduction of Pip the Troll and Eros was fine I had no issues with it. My issue was the Dane Whitman post credits. Why would you only hear Blade and not see him? That makes no sense since he's a new character. I had no issues with Shang Chi and Katy interacting with Bruce Banner and Carol Danvers in hologram form because we know these characters and not having them in the flesh is not a big deal. If the off screen voice had been Dr. Strange or Wong and that was it, it would not be an issue as we know these characters. We don't know Blade. It made no sense.

Yeah. That's like ending the post credit in Iron-man with just Samuel Jackson's voice.

Dumb.

I felt throughout the movie that Marvel just kept making the worst storytelling decisions. Beautifully shot, yes.

I was also looking for Galactus in one sequence when it came to explaining the Celestial... such a missed opportunity. But whatever--Galactus is no Celestial. I just wanted something recognizeable to connect me to the MCU.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's like ending the post credit in Iron-man with just Samuel Jackson's voice.

Dumb.

I felt throughout the movie that Marvel just kept making the worst storytelling decisions. Beautifully shot, yes.

I was also looking for Galactus in one sequence when it came to explaining the Celestial... such a missed opportunity. But whatever--Galactus is no Celestial. I just wanted something recognizeable to connect me to the MCU.

I liked the minimal MCU references (mostly Avengers jokes & The Blip news coverage). Galactus would have been cool to see though, no denying that.

Agreed that the story chose odd directions to go in.
  • Kingo abandoning everyone at the 11th hour? Fine. But him not reneging on that decision and arriving to save Sersi from Sprite was a missed opportunity. Tie it back to their earlier conversation about Peter Pan, etc. Revealing that Druig is still alive could have occurred when everyone is reunited on the beach afterwards, when Makkari finds out.
  • Ending on a cliffhanger. Everything else about this movie seems one-and-done—an attempt to recontextualize & explore the history of the MCU with new characters that having seemingly been there all along. But then the movie decides at the last minute that we need to set up some stuff so it ham-fistedly shoehorns in Dane Whitman’s tease about his weird family history and literally snatches Sersi away from the movie to go start telling the next one. If that was a note from the higher ups and Feige then include it as a post-credits and just have 3 (or remove the Eros/Pip one). GOTG2 had 6, right? Marvel can write its own rules.
The movie was beautifully shot, but I still felt it was hampered by the “Marvel machine.” I thought the costumes could have been improved upon or, like I said in an earlier post, modified to correspond with the era of each flashback. And despite being a long film (which I never mind as long as the story is compelling & well edited/paced), it felt like this suffered in the editing room. I don’t know, even speeches with Arishem felt rushed whereas I thought we could have held on to those grand moments a bit longer and really savored them.

And yes, definitely wish we saw Mahershala Ali as Blade on screen. I bet it’ll be something very similar to the Wesley Snipes version but I’m curious nonetheless to see where Marvel takes it.

I’m looking forward to seeing Black Knight in the MCU—I knew very little of the character beyond the look, but after some YouTube videos & wiki deep dives it sounds like a cool story to me. I’m always up for some Arthurian lore with my superheroes. That being said, I do wish Whitman’s backstory was better integrated in the main film. Maybe Sersi knew of his family’s connection to the Ebony Blade and that’s why she initially fell for Dane—he represents humanity’s capacity for good. Uncorrupted by his family’s corrupt past.

Last edited:
I feel like a bastard but I cheered when Druig clocked Sprite in the head with that rock.

She had it coming.

When the MCU brings in Eros and Pip the Troll with Adam Warlock finally on the way but Thanos is already dead.

EcmHVoNXkAIdpTf.jpg

Deadass (no pun intended).

Like what is the point? Smh.

Anyone else think it was a super-odd choice for the rest of the crew needing to convince Phastos to help? He had the most to lose and he was all like "I'm not gonna leave my family". And his husband had to come into the room and go "maybe you should help them save the world, me and our son will die otherwise". I'm not being 100% serious when I say this but the Eternals are the laziest heroes in the MCU.

I was so sure I would get a galactus reference and foreshadowing I was disappointed in the post credit scenes to say the least. I know lofty expectations was my problem

Why though? Galactus isn't a Celestial.
Have you ever read the Marvel series EARTH X?

If you want possible spoilers for what might come down the Pike click.

If memory serves the Earth X series was the introduction of the idea, which since Earth X is NOT 616 may not be adapted by current comics, that the Celestials use planets to propagate their species. Thus the ultimate reveal of WHY they genetically manipulate world's with sentient life forms to create Eternals, Deviants and also the Mutants.

The presence of super powered beings on worlds that act as Celestial incubators is so that there is a motivated, thinking natural defense system in place to prevent the destruction of the developing Celestial.

Protect it from whom?

Forces like Galactus. In Earth X turns out purple puss is the balance to the Celestials. He feeds off their young and in doing so is like all predators, helping to keep populations in check.

Sooooo... The movie went with that explanation (While oddly... Skipping all the genetic manipulation of mankind aspect for the whole "We are secretly... Robots?" thing which.... SIIIIIIGH...) and that seems like a good way to foreshadow the Devourer Of Worlds. There is a connection.

The greatest thing this movie did was give Patton Oswalt another shot in the MCU after Agents of SHIELD. Pip the Troll is perfect for him.
That was Patton Oswalt? I didn't catch that.
Glad that he is back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"