Euro 2016 - Part 1

Not everyone can be Barca people. If you win, as long as you don't cheat, fake injury, dive, etc. I have no problem with it. That Portugal did that without Ronaldo made it even more impressive.

I don't think either team deserved to be in the final. They weren't the best. I'm glad Portugal won over France, but Portugal got lucky to make it to the final. I don't think it had much to do with being the better team.

I don't think either team deserved to be in the final. They weren't the best. I'm glad Portugal won over France, but Portugal got lucky to make it to the final. I don't think it had much to do with being the better team.
I'm really sick and tired of reading comments of how the winning team didn't deserve to win. You know what teams didn't deserve to win? The ones that got knocked out.

Give Portugal credit. They are a poor European country of Ten million people. France has 66 million. The Portuguese don't have the luxury of hosting international tournaments every decade like France.

Last edited:
Uh okay? No team deserves to be in a final merely because the country is poor or has had hard times. They deserve to be there if they are the better team. I don't believe that Portugal or France were the better teams.

Uh okay? No team deserves to be in a final merely because the country is poor or has had hard times. They deserve to be there if they are the better team. I don't believe that Portugal or France were the better teams.
And yet they outlasted everyone else to get to the final. So how did they not deserve it, when the others failed against them?

Their group stage performance was abysmal. Other than the game against Wales, they didn't really shine in the other two. Like I said, I'm glad Portugal beat France, but I believe it was luck that got them through to the final.

No, that was not my point. I was just asking you guys to give Portugal some credit due to the disadvantages they have in creating a good team. You need money to develop youth talent in academies. The more populated your country is, the better chance you have in building individual talent. And hosting international tournaments, gives you a home advantage. Portugal went against the odds against a Soccer power house ( France ) and Portugal won in the final against them on their own turf in front of thousands of French.

Oh, by the way, it does not matter if you're the better team. If your team got knocked out, then they didn't deserve it more. Why? because they got knocked out.

Last edited:
I argue the methods by which a team got knocked out. Given how corrupt FIFA and their officials are.

Either way. On to the next tournament. In Russia. And then 2022 in Qatar because of how fair that decision was.

Their group stage performance was abysmal. Other than the game against Wales, they didn't really shine in the other two. Like I said, I'm glad Portugal beat France, but I believe it was luck that got them through to the final.

Portugal dominated thier first two group games, it's just the goal keepers from the opposing teams had damn great days.. It was like 20 shots on target combine.

The third group game, Portugal showed how they overcome adversity by equalizing three times. That's a team with a fighting mentality. Never giving up.

And, I'm sorry, but doing well in group games isn't enough to get the trophy.

All you have to do is qualify from the group stage. That is the only job.

Meh. I said my part.

I'm really sick and tired of reading comments of how the winning team didn't deserve to win. You know what teams didn't deserve to win? The ones that got knocked out.

Give Portugal credit. They are a poor European country of Ten million people. France has 66 million. The Portuguese don't have the luxury of hosting international tournaments every decade like France.

**** Portugal. I was born in Brazil. I grew up in a town where Portuguese people hated us just cause and would actively hate on our side. They did get by on luck and CR7 is a narcissistic prick that thinks he's a far better player than he really is.

I don't like Ronaldo but come off it. The stats don't lie. What he and Messi have been doing the last few years is unreal.

I was backing France but Portugal showed real grit and determination. Plus they showed tactical intelligence and superb defense.

I love my European teams especially the Southern Euro teams but I have to say that objectively their performance seemed to lack the spirit, tenacity and overall power that was displayed by some teams in Copa America. Even the U.S looked to be better than a lot of these current Euro rosters.

Don't mean to be negative so sorry if it comes across that way. Congratulations to Portugal. I feel they got a lot of crap during this tourney so it somehow feels right.

For the most part, the quality of football in the final was disappointing. France should've scored at least once considering the chances they created, but ultimately, I'll just say that Eder goal was sheer quality.

**** Portugal. I was born in Brazil. I grew up in a town where Portuguese people hated us just cause and would actively hate on our side. They did get by on luck and CR7 is a narcissistic prick that thinks he's a far better player than he really is.

Because that small community of Portuguese people in Brazil obviously represent the whole country...

If i went by that type of hatred, i would hate Germany due to some young people having made videos of them burning Portugal's flag. Indulging in the same kind of hatred those people displayed for your people is just going to make things worse. Which is why almost every youtube video spoken in portuguese seems to come down to Portugal vs Brazil, and it's just frakin annoying.

Careful mate those are dirty words in modern football.

Which is ironic because European football in general has been at its slowest and most defensive for the last four or five years in terms of tactical set up, at least more so than I've seen in quite some time. The popularization of playing the 4-2-3-1 seems to have made the average game extremely cautious.

I think the fact that people are downplaying Portugal's win on luck, comments like "they weren't good this tournament" speaks even more to the fact that they did deserve to win it, because if they didn't deserve it, and if they weren't great, then what about all the other teams? I can't buy a team "deserving to win it" if they went out, because that means they put in a bad game that got them sent home.

While not a great final it wasn't uneventful. Patricio's early save from Griezmann, Ronaldo going off injured at 20 minutes, Gignac hitting the post in the last minute of normal time and then the huge surprise of Eder scoring the winner, and a stunning winner at that.

I thought over the 90 minutes France were the better team and created more chances, but Portugal defended well and showed great resilience, and in extra time they looked the more dangerous.

Congrats to Portugal on their first ever major tournament win. :up:

So what was everyone's 11 of the tournament?

Mine:

Overall this tournament was a bit of a disappointment with no great teams. Italy were better than expected and most of the positive moments came from smaller teams like Wales and Iceland.

Because that small community of Portuguese people in Brazil obviously represent the whole country...

If i went by that type of hatred, i would hate Germany due to some young people having made videos of them burning Portugal's flag. Indulging in the same kind of hatred those people displayed for your people is just going to make things worse. Which is why almost every youtube video spoken in portuguese seems to come down to Portugal vs Brazil, and it's just frakin annoying.

It goes beyond hatred, the Portuguese jack rent prices up of the Brazilian community. But this isn't about politics or people. It's about football and they go out of the way to actively goad people. Not all of course. My cousin's ex-wife and 2nd cousin's mom is Portuguese. But for the most part it's a post-colonial resentment that simply isn't present between the English and North Americans or Spanish and Latin Americans.

Iceland deserved to win. Wales deserved to win. Italy, Germany. Basically any side that actually put effort into their game rather than coasting by on draws and penalties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"