Evangeline Lilly Cast as Hope Van Dyne

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Super Jim, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Voltron Registered

I've heard and used the term Social Justice Warrior before, but usually it's used to address corruption in general, animal cruelty, birth control rights and so on. I'm hating how the term is being misused like feminist as a negative when it's clearly a positive.

2. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Can someone please explain? What is SJW? ScarJo... W... ? :huh:

3. DJ Kornphlake Registered

Scarlett Johansson Wet.

4. Sean of Justice Registered

:hmr:

5. Mike Murdock Registered

I was thinking Scarlett Johansson Widow so I looked it up. I've spelled it out each time I used it for clarification: Social Justice Warrior.

6. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Social justice warrior.

[​IMG]

7. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Going back to whether Hope could have been just as effective a hero as Scott if given the Ant-Man suit, well Evangeline weighs in on this here:

[YT]pLXF4mzLg9U[/YT]

She says that it's not about whether she has the skills or not, but more about her heart. Her character has yet to learn the humility needed to avoid letting the Ant-Man power corrupt her. She has such pride which is out of control and such an ego that Hank thinks she's still far away from where she needs to be and from having that humility that Scott has already learned.

Also, Evangeline's hairstyle in real life looks better than her hairstyle in the film. That bob she's sporting is a little too stiff and somewhat harsh. But in fact she says that she chose that kind of hairstyle to look more severe and no nonsense to reflect that aspect of her character at that point.

[YT]VMfJggqwltE[/YT]

#357 Dark Raven, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. third3ye Registered

When she says 'About damn time' in the ACS, I was thinking the same thing. Here's to hoping she gets an uncredited role in CW.

#358 third3ye, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

But Feige said he didn't want to do that as it wouldn't do her character justice to just stick her in a cameo in Civil War. Of course, if they don't do Ant-Man 2, then she'll still end up in a cameo in another movie, and all this talk about not doing her justice will be meaningless.

And I hope they modify the helmet so that it is clear, or looks like she's not wearing one at all. This fully helmeted look is too reminiscent of the kinds of costumes from that Avengers: United They Stand cartoon.

#359 Dark Raven, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. third3ye Registered

I think if she's not appearing in CW then she'll get a sizeable supporting role in Avengers 3. Given her pregnancy I'm also doubtful she'll film anything for CW but who knows, this Marvel after all, they love their re-shoots.

The fully-covered helmet look grew on me with Ant-Man and I didn't mind that look with Janet in the suit. The issue with an open-face helmet is that it's a lot harder to render for the CG scenes and make it look good. One way they could go about this is to make her helmet translucent, similar to the Yellowjacket helmet but more revealing.

11. BatsDC Side-Kicker

You should take that image down; it's bootleg.

12. third3ye Registered

Oops forgot about that rule, thanks.

13. BatsDC Side-Kicker

No problem. :up:

14. Macho Mantis Registered

Then I don't understand why
    Hank felt she was ready for the Wasp suit at the end.

15. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Here's something interesting:

16. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

You said it yourself, at the end.
    There's just so much they can do in one movie. This was the story about the "wrong" guy (the expendable guy) getting the suit, not the "right" person. And her helping him not become expendable.

She had to get there, As Lilly (in Dark Raven's post) indicates; she would have been fueled with pride and anger, trying to prove something, that she was the right person for the suit.
    Which she is, in every respect, except one, it would have corrupted her.
    Finding out the truth about her mom, letting go of that, watching the "wrong: guy wear the suit, and helping him do the right thing, all = her bigger story arc and strength!
    Her dad also had to let go.
    At the end though, she earned it, you know that suit is hers!
    It's all there.

That aching desire to see her wearing it, and prove it! = sequel!
    They did their job.

#366 Mondragon, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  17. Macho Mantis Registered

Ah. I was confused by the present tense.

18. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Hank obviously felt that she had learnt that humility by the end. Scott had already learnt it, because he was a broken man, having been in prison and lost everything, and unable to make ends meet or hold down a job. He was anything but proud, and maybe even felt he didn't deserve a second chance, whereas she felt she deserved to be Ant-Man and that she was owed something.

But it's not just that she had changed. Hank had changed too through this incident, and had let his daughter in rather than shutting her out. And maybe now, his daughter as the Wasp came to represent literal hope, because there was now hope of possibly finding Janet in the Quantum Realm because Scott had been there and back.

19. Guard82 Registered

Well said. It was important for her character to go through the arc that she did to truly prepare her for the responsibilities that come with wearing the suit. There was never any question that she was capable and qualified enough to handle the suit. The question was whether she could use it responsibly, and to get there, she had to make amends with her dad and let go of some of her emotional baggage.

20. Guard82 Registered

You make a good point that both Hank and Hope had to change. To complete their character arcs, they had to reconcile. Hope had to let go of her resentment, and Hank had to stop being so secretive, overprotective, and withdrawn regarding his daughter. Hank finally giving the Wasp suit to her was a sign that he was improving emotionally and no longer letting his past confuse him.

21. Guard82 Registered

^ That quote from Feige posted above by BatsDC suggests that Hope will probably become Wasp in Infinity War. That's good news, and she'll likely have a substantial supporting role in the movie.

22. Voltron Registered

Yeah that mid-credit scene should've ended with Hope donning the suit; I don't want to wait years!!!!!! At least a scene of her in the Wasp suit would be such a good teaser.

23. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Lilly said that Hope learned humility by the end of the film. Hope seemed a little too overconfident which might of got her into trouble if she didn't learn to be a little less brash.

24. third3ye Registered

My take on this isn't about Hope learning humility, it's more about Hope learning to let go of her anger and Hank deciding to stop sheltering his daughter. This arc isn't particularly well explored in the movie, but here's my thoughts below.
    I never saw Hope learning humility in the movie, as she never was humbled at any point. Her development centered more on the central theme of father-daughter relationship and was sparked by Hank finally telling her the truth about Janet. Prior to that she carried a lot of anger and resentment, much of which was aimed at her father. With that secret out of the way, the two of them were able to become closer and culminated when Hope had to protect her father during the standoff with Cross and almost lost him after he got shot.

Hank suspecting that Janet may still be alive in the quantum realm and Scott showing there is a way to get out of there were enough to convince Hank that he may not lose his daughter permanently if she dons the suit. The fact that an expendable loser like Scott was able to find success in the suit also gave Hank more confidence that his daughter can hold her own. Hank also suspected Hope's anger could interfere with her control over the suit's powers as demonstrated when she unsuspectingly had the ants black out the dining room light.

The comic Wasp was known for being brash and impulsive, and they're probably going to keep the MCU Wasp that way for films to come. A humble Wasp among the Avengers strikes me as a boring dynamic, they can do a lot more with her character if she's overly confident and has no filter, particularly since none of the other female characters are like that.

25. Verbal21 Registered

Any comparison pics between Janet's suit and the one she got at the end of the credits?