Evangeline Lilly Cast as Hope Van Dyne

I'm also betting Hope will become the MCU's Wasp. It just seems obvious to me that's what they were going for. I'm hoping that means Jan was the Wasp in the past too but it seems pretty unclear right now...it'd probably please most of the pissed-off Jan fans though, even more so if Jan isn't dead in the present.

Hope Pym is a villain from an alternate future. She's known as the Red Queen and a villain. At least in the comics. So I'm 50% sure that Wasp won't be joining the Avengers in the future.

Janet Van Dyne is confirmed to be dead. Hank Pym is just Hank Pym, not Yellowjacket while the new Yellowjacket is a villain. Hank Pym is also incredibly old which kind of implies that this film is In Name Only. It's seriously competing with X-Men Origins for the least faithful Marvel adaptation of all time.

Does personality and representation of a character not count? It's fair to say that the criteria behind what constitutes an "In Name Only" character is at least partially subjective, so let me say that from my own perspective a character's age isn't necessarily a vital quality. In Hank's case, I think they could still do a very good job at representing him, they're just utilizing the character at a different point in his life than we are use to. That doesn't mean Hank can't still be Hank. He'll still be a genius scientist who lost his wife and who struggled with his "career" as superhero and who has (apparently, based on what we have heard in interviews) created multiple identities for himself.

I know it might not be the most popular opinion, but I do believe there is an inherent essences to Hank Pym that goes beyond a simple check list of what his character does or how he dresses, and that it is this spirit that defines the character. As an Lit major, I am way more interested in how a character "reads", an aspect that is much harder to immediately judge based on teasers and pre-filming interviews but goes much further in honoring a character than any comic accurate costume ever will. To me, if the spirit is missing than it doesn't matter how on point superficial details turn out. Personality makes a character; not costume, not age, not even the plots they are involved in (although admittedly all these things can and should impact the way a character grows and who they are, but the details can be changed to achieve similar results and, honestly, that isn't a huge sin to me. It simply requires writers ho understand why those details were important and how they impacted the character so that they can properly recreate the situations.)

Now Hope is a completely different matter since I have the feeling that she is pretty much going to be an OC. But one based heavily on Jan. Part of me is strangely okay with this, as I believe that too often Janet is seen as being reliant on Hank. There were so many people saying that if Hank was old we couldn't have Janet, and while they turned out to be right we're still being given the chance to see Wasp (and I have no doubt that is what she is being set up for). I think it will be nice to be able to have the character without her being seen as nothing more than Hank's limb; an attachment who isn't her own full and separate character. However they could still easily fall into the trap of making her nothing more than Scott's love interest. Hopefully they do us better.

Last edited:
Hope Pym is a villain from an alternate future. She's known as the Red Queen and a villain. At least in the comics. So I'm 50% sure that Wasp won't be joining the Avengers in the future.

Janet Van Dyne is confirmed to be dead. Hank Pym is just Hank Pym, not Yellowjacket while the new Yellowjacket is a villain. Hank Pym is also incredibly old which kind of implies that this film is In Name Only. It's seriously competing with X-Men Origins for the least faithful Marvel adaptation of all time.

Just because a character was one thing in the comics, doesn't mean they're gonna be exactly the same in the MCU. After all, [BLACKOUT]Alexander Pierce is a loyal SHIELD agent in the comics, while the MCU Pierce was a Hydra conspirator.[/BLACKOUT]

gildedmuse, just wanted to let you know I appreciate your analysis and agree with it. :applaud

I just got into a mini twitter-spat with one of those #janetvancrime people

because I mean, god forbid Marvel changes up a story or a chracter for the benefit of (hopefully) making a good film. And forget that they basically ARE putting in Janet, just with a different name (or two Janets if we get flashbacks!)

now I'm not saying it's not legitimate to be upset over changes; Many here are. But to take this situation, where they are making a LOT of changes to the Ant-Man story, and focus on the changes to Jan as being proof of sexism and "fridging" Janet to create emotion, it's pretty ridiculous.

Do I wish Jan was an Avenger? Sure, but that they've altered things gives me a mix of excitment and apprehension.

But to assume the worst of Marvel, and create a whole movement about the studio's "sexism" before even knowing what happens in the story or to Jan (cuz all we've heard is rumor and speculation at this point) just seems beyond the pale to me

Random question, is someone playing a younger Hank Pym, or are they going to try to de-age Douglas?
If there's a younger actor, I can believe Lilly as Janet, but if it's just Douglas, I don't see Lilly being used as Janet of the past.

Also, there has been no confirmation whatsoever of Janet being dead.

Random question, is someone playing a younger Hank Pym, or are they going to try to de-age Douglas?
If there's a younger actor, I can believe Lilly as Janet, but if it's just Douglas, I don't see Lilly being used as Janet of the past.

Also, there has been no confirmation whatsoever of Janet being dead.

All we have to go by is the "tragic accident" Douglas mentioned in that EW interview, and it can be said that "tragic" doesn't necessarily always equal "death". So, I do think it's a bit too early for some people to get bent out of shape in regards to Jan being apparently fridged or whatever.

Exactly. Tragic accident can be a coma, a disablement, a kidnapping, a mutilation, a torture, a alternate reality wormhole, etc.

It doesn't necessarily = death.

Exactly, people should wait for more info before getting up in arms.

Also people shouldn't assume that there will be no Wasp whatsoever in the MCU either, as I've said it's pretty obvious to me that Hope's being set up to become the modern-day Wasp. Just because she was a villain in the comics in another universe doesn't mean that'll be true in the movie, all the other changes to characters' backgrounds in this movie should prove that.

Last edited:
There's a Hank Pym Jr. in the MC2 universe too... Maybe a young Hank isn't impossible :oldrazz:

Also people shouldn't assume that there will be no Wasp whatsoever in the MCU either, as I've said it's pretty obvious to me that Hope's being set up to become the modern-day Wasp. Just because she was a villain in the comics in another universe doesn't mean that'll be true in the movie, all the other changes to characters' backgrounds in this movie should prove that.

The fact that they cleared up the issue by having her confirmed as a Van Dyne should be an indicator to her future as a Wasp.

With a few modifications, that first costume you've shown (arguably the most commonly-used Wasp costume for her appearances outside of comics) could work for the MCU.

Yup, all of this seems pretty obvious. What are the chances of the following not happening:

* Hope becoming Wasp in Ant-Man... or at the very least a strong hint.
* Ant-Man (Lang) and Wasp (Hope) joining the Avengers in A3.

Slim to none IMO. And if that's the case, what are these loonies getting all riled up about? Jeez.

Maybe Evangeline would be the best possible candidate to work into an episode of Marvel's Agents Of Shield before the movie comes out or after the movie in season 3 assuming she would do tv again.

I just want to point out, that I basically called it on The Wasp being Hank Pym's daughter. Except that Janet became Hope. I wasn't far off really.

Except entirely off. As far as we know, Hope can be Janet's daughter with someone else. :o

the more i read into its possibilities.....the more intrigued by the Pym being a SHIELD agent/worker back in the 60's.....brings about alot of possiblities meaning maybe Stark didnt create Ultron.....Pym could have left seeds back in the day.....very interested even more in this movie

This movie sounds absolutely horrible. Marvel should stick to properties no one ever cared about like Guardians of the Galaxy. You can do whatever you want with something like that without offending the fan base because there is no fan base.

Tampering with original Avengers because you aren't smart enough to figure out how to do them correctly is another thing altogether.

^ We get it. Your schtick on the Hype basically boils down to raving and ranting every time Marvel Studios deviates from the comics by even the slightest degree. If that's your thing, well, that's your thing, I guess. Needless to say, I couldn't disagree more.

For a long time I thought she was going to be a young Jan in flashbacks and an LMD (or something similar) in the present, essentially a version of Jocasta. I'm interested in seeing her as this character though, and I hope she does get to be the MCU Wasp

I definitely hope Evangeline gets to become the MCU Wasp. I can definitely picture her as as the character, and I've always enjoyed Wasp in the comics. It would be a lot of fun to have her in the Marvel movies.

Exactly. Tragic accident can be a coma, a disablement, a kidnapping, a mutilation, a torture, a alternate reality wormhole, etc.

It doesn't necessarily = death.

Or being shrunk down too small and getting stuck that way.

Anyway, I have no problem with Hope Van Dyne becoming Wasp, though I would like it if Jan was still Wasp in flashbacks. Hell, I think it'd be really neat if Jan was somehow rescued near the end of the movie from whatever "tragic" state she was in, and comes back to kick ass in the Wasp suit. Are Marvel Studios and Marvel's audiences comfortable with the idea of an older lady superheroing around? Probably not, but I think it could be really cool.

My picks for old Janet are Susan Sarandon, Joan Allen, Holly Hunter, or Diane Keaton.

^ We get it. Your schtick on the Hype basically boils down to raving and ranting every time Marvel Studios deviates from the comics by even the slightest degree. If that's your thing, well, that's your thing, I guess. Needless to say, I couldn't disagree more.

Yeah, making Wasp and the Mandarin entirely different characters than their comic versions isn't a big change or anything. Changing things from the comics is basically the writers saying, "We're not smart enough/too lazy to find a way to make this work on the screen so we're going to create an entirely different character that has the name of an old character so we can give them a personality or role that fits our movie."

I'm sorry, but good writing is making your movie fit the character that's been around for 50 years, not the other way around. If they need inspiration, they could always, I don't know, open a comic book maybe. Might be good to go to the source material that is giving you the job to begin with. Reminds me of someone who shows up at a job interview without doing any research into the company. Lazy. And probably shouldn't be hired to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"