EVERYTHING Black Panther [merged]

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by C-$, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Seriously what the **** do you care if I state it over and over again. You dont like it dont read it that simple. Put me on ignore if you want but as long as were talking casting for BP im gonna state Djimon Hounsou is the best choice. Thats my right, unless you become a mod and ban me or something im gonna keep on doing it. it doent bother anyone else but you so guess what, get over it.

2. tamron Registered

It would be great if you can find the perfect actor for every comic part. Right look, right height, right age, everything just like the comics. But that is very rare.

I'd rather have an actor who embodies the role well and does miss some of the comic properties, than one who looks like the comic, but does not touch the heart of the character. Djimon Hounsou can touch the heart of Black Panther's character and breath life into it. And I feel Mehki Phifer could do Luke Cage better than anyone that's been discussed for the role. Djimon may be to old for a BP franchise. Mehki may be shorter than Luke Cage. But I feel they're the best actors for the job, and that would make up for the discrepancies.

As far as origin stories, I'd love to see a few comic films buck that trend, and with Black Panther it's easy, because Black Panther isn't a superhero like Spider-Man. He didn't have an accident or decide to help people arbitrarally. He's a head of state, a dignitary, and the mantle of Black Panther simply comes with being the king of Wakanda. Simply establish that, and then when the crisis arises, BP goes to work. No mess, no fuss.

3. BT18 Registered

Tamron how would you like the story to go? I guess I imagined it would take place only a little while after he's gotten back from Europe getting his graduate education and what not. But I suppose it is pretty up in the air at this point of what they'll do.

And just to explain additionally why I find fault with the "Djimon is perfect" campaign I just can't ignore the fact that he's basically the only famous working native African in Hollywood and I think that's the overwheling reason why he's supported rather than him truely being as right from either a character or moviemaking standpoint. Or perhaps instead of "rather" I should say that the former is overwhelmingly much more the reason.

4. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Yes, ill agree thats one of the reasons. Hes an excellent actor that could bring Tchalla to the screen. Hes shown he can handle doing action in movies like Gladiator, hes an excellent dramatic actor, if you havent seen In America I implore you to go see it. Its an excellent film. Hes just a very good actor, the fact that hes african is just one more plus IMO to why he would be a good Black panther.

5. BT18 Registered

I've seen "In America". I've seen Gladiator, Amistad. He's a good actor.

As are Mekhi and Derek Luke. Who unlike Djimon are a better age and more leading man material for a role like this that has franchise potential.

6. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I will also admit that there are others who could do the job of bringing T'challa to the screen.

7. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Not a big fan of Mekhi Phifer, he always seems to play the angry black guy in everything ive seen him, except for ER. Derek Luke is good, liked him in Antwone Fisher and the 15 minutes he was in Spartan. he could probably do it, just doesnt give off the kingly vibe we need from T'Challa, but it also depends on the direction. Anyway by the time a BP movie gets made Djimon would probably be too old.

8. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

How is David past his prime? Simple: Because T'Chaka was in his prime when he was killed. And voicing a character doesn't mean you can play them on film. Or let's just sign up Kevin Conroy for the next Batman right now, get Mark Hamill to play Hobgoblin, & while we're at it Neil Patrick Harris can take over for Spider-Man, Roscoe Lee Brown can do Kingpin, & don't forget Tim Daly as Superman.
    As for Derek Luke, he looks like a kid & I'd rather see a seasoned, experienced ruler of a nation.

9. BT18 Registered

I never said voicing a character means you can play them off film. It was just a "note".

10. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

1-you said you'd NEVER seen it.
    2-If you want an "in-continuity" example, how about-oh, pretty much all the time? If you think his costume isn't a high-tech armor, then I suggest you read "Hush".

11. Hypestyle Registered

hmm.. I hope Avi Arad has someone good in mind for director and writer--

12. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I don't see why Hudlin can't do it. How many filmmakers have actually written comics & done a worthy job of it?

13. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

But Hudlin hasnt, his Black Panther is mediocre at best and there way too many problems with the way he writes the characters in the book.

14. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

15. BT18 Registered

What do you guys think about Zack Snyder, Peter Berg, or Steven Soderbergh directing ?

16. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I try not to judge a director's suitability to do a comic book film based on his previous Hollywood track record; it's how he approaches the project itself. Remember, Joel Schumacher was considered by many to be an awesome filmmaker. Nothing that Bryan Singer had done gave us a clue about how he'd approach "X-Men". And did you see "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" or "Beetlejuice"?

17. BT18 Registered

What do you think of Jamaica for a possible filming location? Could it possibly double for a fictional African country?

I mean, it would probably be alot less expensive to not travel so far away from the US. There is sort of a jungle in Jamaica I assume. Never been there, but it's a caribbean country. Perhaps they could use it for the bulk of the principal photography and then maybe spend a few weeks on location in Africa for the locations they can't get out of it. And with Jamaica unlike other places people have suggested to double for Africa (Australia, New Zealand, etc) you do have access to plenty of extras of African ethnicity.

18. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

The idea has merit. If Canada can pass for New York, why not?

19. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Also, it seems to me that BP's costume would have to remain pretty much unchanged; put him in rubber & he looks like a Batman knock-off; put him in leather & you get Daredevil. Plus he's GOT to have a full-face mask.

20. Red Mask Human Killing Machine

I hope the actor looks like a medium weight bodybuilder. If the costume has thin material then the muscles will make him more impressive when he's in shadow.

21. BT18 Registered

Derek Luke and Mekhi Phifer are both capable of that in my opinion

Rent or download Friday Night Lights (if you download you can just preview before it's done because you see how big and impressive muscle wise he is in the first couple minutes, while I believe the opening creditsa are still playing.)
    In other words, start downloading on a P2P, and then just do a preview when it's like 3 percent done.

As for Mekhi he's often shown how naturally thick of a frame he has.

22. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

But their acting ability is suspect, more on Mekhi's case.

23. Spider-Kurt Registered

This is my most anticipated,never used before Marvel (or any other distributer)comic book character movie now. BP simply needs to be introduced to the masses. To be honest with you, even though Wesley Snipes played an excellent Blade, I'd rather he had played T'Challa in the mid nineties instead. Personally, I'd rather see the noble King of Wakanda defending the weak over the Daywalking Vampire Hunter.

24. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I'd like to hope they can somewhat merchandise this character also. Give him an animated series or something before the movie is released, bust out some action figures...he has some decent villains.

25. BT18 Registered

Not really. They're suspect to you basically because you want it to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.