EVERYTHING Black Panther [merged]

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by C-$, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

If more than 5 people come into this thread and say Mekhi Phifer is more than a mediocre actor, ill retract my statement. I havent seen him in anything that will make me believe that he is a good actor.

Theres a lot of young talent out there, its hard for me to believe that anyone would think Mekhi is good for the role of Black Panther.

2. BT18 Registered

Or you could just point to one instance of Mekhi being a mediocre actor, a critical review or something, considering I'm the only person on SHH evidently who has voiced support for him as Black Panther, and it wouldn't serve anyone's purpouse to chime in who doesn't support him for the role, that's just the way SHH! is.

3. Son Of Logan Weapon X

Mekhi Phifer is clearly not a mediocre actor. That's 2.

4. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I was hoping we could discuss the costume a little bit further; in some ways that makes or breaks a comic book movie.

5. Red Mask Human Killing Machine

If anybody has seen those new mini-statues by Bowen Design I'd go for those. The short cape and tall collar can be an add-on.

6. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Don't bring up those statues; if I had $150 to spare...

7. Red Mask Human Killing Machine

Statues! Statues! D'ems is kick ass statues! ;)

8. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

ANd better, IMO, than anything else Bowen has done. Like he was saving his real kick-ass work for T'Challa.

9. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Spider-Man & the FF wore muscle-enhancement suits underneath their costumes. I'm sure it'd be pretty much the same w/BP.

10. The Phantom Dredknight

This guy must be Black Panther! At at all costs! He was awesome as Spawn, that cannot be denied, so he has the superhero movie experience. Plus he's got this kingly aura about him and an interestingly sounding voice that would only add to the awesome awe of Black Panther. AND he's black belt in seven different forms of Martial Arts. So his fighting and gravity-defying scenes won't be so cumbersome as Keanu Reeves was in the Matrix.
    [​IMG]

11. BT18 Registered

For any tricky martial arts stuff you can have a stunt double. The hero wears a mask, same goes for deadpool, all these dumbasses suggesting action stars /glorified stunt people who've never demonstrated any ability to be particularly funny or comedic for him.

You dont' need to cast some old action star for a role like this. It should be a young, up and coming, great acting, leading man in the making. Not a black Jean Claude.

12. The Phantom Dredknight

He's no black Jean Claude bro. He's actually a good actor. Witness Spawn. The movie overall may have not been well received, but Jai White, did his part.

And does it really need to be some young pop star guy? Jai Whites still in his thirties, which is relatively the time age which most princes ascend to the throne.

13. Savage Earth Rocker

White is too american anyway. I have an easier time seeing him as Luke Cage...Unless he can do an African accent...So far I'm Honsou all the way. Mehki to me is also more fit for Luke Cage imo...Both him and White beat the hell out of the Jamie Foxx choice.

14. BT18 Registered

Since when the phuck are either of my suggestions "pop stars". They're critically acclaimed up and coming leading men. Mekhi was an amateur rapper growing up in Harlem but as far as I know never released an album or anything.

T'Challa became king offically before he was a teenager. That's when Klaw killed his father. He really took over actively when he came back from extended college and I believe graduate education in Europe. Since both of my suggestions are around thirty, they can still play mid-to-late-20's and still be getting used to the king duties and responsibilites. Jai White in his late 30's cannot. And he is not as good an actor as they are. He was not "Great" in Spawn. He yelled most of his lines and really didn't do anything impressive.

15. BT18 Registered

Jamie Foxx was being saught for Diamondback, Luke Cage's enemy, not Luke himself, according to the most recent articles where Avi discusses the movie.

And no, Mekhi is not more fit for Luke Cage, a character who's supposed to be 6' 6" and have a hundreds pounds more of bulk easily.

Mekhi is the right age, size, and has the right vibe for Black Panther, even though he isn't the only famous native African black male actor in Hollywood like Hounsou, which is the cause of the overwhelming majority of support for him. It doesn't stem from anything else. He isn't the right age or height and he isn't a leading man.

16. Savage Earth Rocker

I'm talking character here, not size. I mean last I checked Wolverine wasn't 6'2. Mekhi is a good actor, and he has the right size but being a good actor does not mean you can automatically pull off every role...I guess I can see where you're coming from with the choice, it's just that imo there are better choices out there...and since I own Amistad on DVD, after watching that I can't help but see Honsou as T'Challa. To me he's perfect for the role, wether the actor's from Africa or not. That has nothing to do with me choosing him.

17. The Phantom Dredknight

Aight, I can see where your coming from. I haven't read the comics but I've read stuff about BP. But as far as Spawn goes, Jai White was awesome.

18. BT18 Registered

It's not a coincidence that he's the only famous actor in Hollywood who's native African and he gets suggested more than any other for an African role. I own Friday Night Lights and the Dawn of the Dead remake on DVD and I can help but see Mekhi and Derek Luke in the role. I don't think the movie would work as well with someone late 30's/early 40's.

Oh, and it is not a universal agreement that having Wolverine be retought as a tall dark and handsome leading man was a good decision. It isn't.

19. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Actually I think it was, whos gonna believe that Jean Grey has a thing for a 5'3 hairy guy with claws?

20. BT18 Registered

Well, most critics, professional and amateur thought Spawn was the lame movie I also thought it was, and I've never seen any caveats that White's performance was any good from said critics.

21. BT18 Registered

for the people saying Derek Luke looks too "boyish". Here's Derek AKA Boobie Miles in the opening scenes of Friday Night Lights. Capped from a bootleg. Don't know how to make caps from my DVD player. So sorry for the bad quality.

[​IMG]

22. The Phantom Dredknight

I don't base my opinions on the opinions of others, especially of they are the ones getting paid to have opinions.

23. BT18 Registered

Nor should you, not soley anyway, but it was stated, I believe. He WAS great, not I "think" he was great.

24. BT18 Registered

ok, the exact quotes were "He was awesome as Spawn, that cannot be denied" and "Jai White was awesome".

Hence my denying that and referencing others who have denied that indirectly.

25. BT18 Registered

I don't think he should have been 5' 3". But I also don't think he should have been rewritten as the tall dark, handsome, and ultimately puppydog-guy rethinking of the character.

They could have gone with someone who was on the short side, maybe about the same height as Jean, 5'7 or 5'8 (if they had gotten the Jean casting right as well and she wasn't being played by a 6 foot tall chick) and made him the supporting role he should have been. It should have been a role for a character actor in a character part. Not THE Lead. Like it or not the fact is that for the most part, the first 2 X-Movies were all about Wolverine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.