EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTY is one of my favs, really solid, imo, it'd be nice to see him bring this home.

Of course, last time he played an African prince from a fictional country wasn't all that impressive. Provided, he was a lot younger back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdk63dts7GY#t=01m35s
I just watched this and noticed that Lee Thompson Young is kind of short. Not that it matters too much (RDJ and Ruffalo aren't too tall either), just something I noticed.

yeah thats not much of a problem, as far as rdj and ruffalol go, its not really a standing quality for their characters. i loved how tiny ruffalol looked as opposed to thor and cap. but it would be interesting to see a shorter bp giving the notion that he is that much more impressive.

Yeah, I don't think BP is supposed to be towering over people. He's kinda awesome when he looks like the underdog.

Lee Thompson Young just has a good hero look. When I was little I used to watch him on that Disney show The Famous Jet Jackson haha. And he was good as Cyborg on Smallville even though Smallville kinda sucked.

But shouldnt Marvel be looking for an actor with a better resume than his?

I haven't read any solo Black Panther stories I have only seen the animated series, what are his best villains in the comics?

Spideymouse I think put Panther's biggest villains out there. But I wouldn't mind adding Achebe to that list from Christopher Priest's run.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Achebe_(Earth-616)

Also,

White Wolf
http://marvel.wikia.com/White_Wolf_(Hunter)_(Earth-616)

Malice
http://marvel.wikia.com/Malice_(Nakia)

Vlad the Impaler
http://marvel.wikia.com/Vladimir_Dinu_(Earth-616)

Supremacists (would probably be too controversial)
http://marvel.wikia.com/Supremacists_(Earth-616)

Death Tiger (not a big villain but I like his look and name):
http://marvel.wikia.com/Death_Tiger_(Earth-616)

I've been reading Don McGregor's Panther run, courtesy of the Panther Marvel Essentials, and it seems like McGregor introduced a ton of villains that with some tweaking might be good villains or supporting villians in a Panther film.

Yeah, I'm thinking Klaw -> Killmonger - Achebe
With Klaw employing mercs (some of which nods to Hudlin's Klaw mercs), Killmonger employing his mutates and Achebe being on some other stuff, employing any and everyone.

On the discussion a few pages back, I definitely think Klaw works better with the hand, but I think having his defeat involve being turned into a sound being would be pretty epic. Of course, explaining that in-story is kinda weird... maybe Klaw's device turns matter into sound using vibranium and BP overloads it somehow or something.

While I'm not a fan of the whole storyline, in AvX when he had to fight Storm, I like the explanations how he was actually able to counter all her weather abilities.

Yeah, that was pretty epic. I thought some of it was over the top, like having nanobots in the Indian Ocean on call, but the overall idea, using satellites lasers and remote triggers, and unpredictable (but still reasonable) booby traps is pretty cool. I'd love to see something like that in a BP film.

I refuse to buy AvX, or even download it. Can someone give me a summary of all that's happened with Black Panther. I know his marriage with Storm was annulled, but what else went on?

I haven't read it either, not in proteset, just burnt out on events, couldn't quite bring myself to care. Apparently Namor ransacked Wakanda, flooding it or something. Storm got the news her marriage was annulled (by T'Challa) when she came to help. Before that T'Challa was just in the situation room being a voice of reason for the whole crisis with the X-Men.

In retrospect, it actually makes sense for him to react extremely. He was the one questioning the Avengers' aggressive stance against the X-Men only to have former ally Namor flood his country and prove him quite wrong. So he cut ties. Hmmm...

He's basically prepared like Batman. She was more or less pissed because he had already had a bunch of safeguards and precautions in place to counteract Storm's powers....just in case.

I haven't read it either, not in proteset, just burnt out on events, couldn't quite bring myself to care. Apparently Namor ransacked Wakanda, flooding it or something. Storm got the news her marriage was annulled (by T'Challa) when she came to help. Before that T'Challa was just in the situation room being a voice of reason for the whole crisis with the X-Men.

In retrospect, it actually makes sense for him to react extremely. He was the one questioning the Avengers' aggressive stance against the X-Men only to have former ally Namor flood his country and prove him quite wrong. So he cut ties. Hmmm...

I've only been skimming AvX, but I found it odd that they would put out the issue where T'Challa coldly announces the annulment before the fight issue between Storm and Panther, which happened before the annulment, and would've helped make the annulment make more sense, (though I don't like the idea of a divorce at all).

Up until that we had gotten hints from Storm in one of the earlier books that they had gone through marriage counseling. And then it just seemed they dropped the annulment on us from out of the blue.

I guess that's kind of the writer's way of responding to all the gripes about them getting married in the first place just as kind of a token thing.

^
You know, I'm not so sure. I do think that Aaron did try to get into the heads of both characters and empathize with them to some extent, and he somberly left the match as not a winner for anyone. Whereas the annulment announcement, without that fight, might come off more to me as a kiss off and a kiss up to the marriage haters.

The internal dialogue in the fight more so shows the effects of a tragic misunderstanding or miscommunication, which in a way could be a commentary on how the writers post-Hudlin (along with Marvel's editors) have mishandled the marriage.

And perhaps I'm just grasping at straws, but I think the fight could lay the groundwork for a reunion between Storm and T'Challa if Marvel wanted to go in that direction. Both characters still love each other (that was evident from the fight and from Storm's reaction at the divorce). It would be nice if they could reconnect after the dust has settled from AvX, but I know that's not going to happen.

He's basically prepared like Batman. She was more or less pissed because he had already had a bunch of safeguards and precautions in place to counteract Storm's powers....just in case.

What precautions did he take? Did he have weather dampeners, traps, suit gadgets, what did he use?

^All of the above.

^
You know, I'm not so sure. I do think that Aaron did try to get into the heads of both characters and empathize with them to some extent, and he somberly left the match as not a winner for anyone. Whereas the annulment announcement, without that fight, might come off more to me as a kiss off and a kiss up to the marriage haters.

The internal dialogue in the fight more so shows the effects of a tragic misunderstanding or miscommunication, which in a way could be a commentary on how the writers post-Hudlin (along with Marvel's editors) have mishandled the marriage.

And perhaps I'm just grasping at straws, but I think the fight could lay the groundwork for a reunion between Storm and T'Challa if Marvel wanted to go in that direction. Both characters still love each other (that was evident from the fight and from Storm's reaction at the divorce). It would be nice if they could reconnect after the dust has settled from AvX, but I know that's not going to happen.

I agree, and as much as I didn't like the fight as a concept, I think it was executed beautifully and respectfully. T'Challa was in rare form, Storm was pretty close to the top of her game. They still love each other, they just can't be together because their corners of the universe are at odds... that rings true on several levels. Neither came out looking like an a-hole, and the separation was looked at as a sad thing.

And I honestly give Marvel a bit of points for annulling before the fight so none of it can be truly classified as domestic abuse.

^
One thing that crimped Aaron's issue was that it was released after the annulment announcement which I did feel was coldly done and off hand. The annulment, sans fight, really made T'Challa look like a heartless jerk. If they had gotten the fight issue out before then, I think the announcement itself would've felt more organic.

As for the fight issue, I thought it was well drawn. I don't feel as positive about it as you did since I disliked the idea of the dissolution of the marriage, however at least Aaron did impart some sense of the awfulness that both characters were feeling, something that I don't think previous AvX writers had conveyed. To me it doesn't matter when the fight took place, domestic abuse could still be claimed whether they were married or not. Of course superpowered people of either gender have fought against each other so long in comics that can you really call a superhero fight between powered men and women abusive in the traditional sense? I think it can get tricky and based on the circumstances or context.

I also don't feel that the annulment was unavoidable. If anything, the marriage could've served as an important way to bring both sides together. Both T'Challa and Storm, as rulers of the most advanced nation on Earth, could've served as diplomats trying to keep the peace.

Lee Thompson Young just has a good hero look.

I 'm not feeling him for Panther, but there are others I could see him playing. Falcon if Mackie hadn't already snatched it up, for one.

Yeah i wasnt suggesting him for Panther, I dont really see it, but hed make a good Falcon. And a good Black Lightning at DC

LTY would make a great Night Thrasher or 3D-Man

DarthKush I agree the annulment was not necessary, but I don't see how two unmarried people fighting outside can be rightfully called domestic abuse. I admit that it would naturally feel that way for some who had not fully accepted the annulment before the fight started, so the characters still 'felt' married to those readers, but it wouldn't be correct to call it that. And I agree it would have been more organic the other way around, but it also would have made him a wifebeater, something he would never have been able to live down amongst fandom. He'd be the new Hank Pym. Oy.

I don't think it made him look like a heartless jerk because they went into how much pain he was going through.

And yes, they could continue to use T'Challa and Storm as gap-bridgers like they did in Civil War, but here's the problem: that's a role that's destined to fail. The peacemaker must fail in order for a good story/conflict to take place. As much as seeing T'challa and Storm bringing everyone together is a nice idea, it's not something that can actually happen, and more importantly, it doesn't make the characters interesting. So I see where Marvel is coming from on the annulment thing. I wouldn't have done it, I dislike the idea too, but I really think they did it well anyway.

Definitely think big things are in store for BP if the comics are an indicator - which Axel Alonso said they could be when it comes to the movies. First up is BP being front and center and the central character in Hickman's new New Avengers book:

2yn3q4p.jpg

Tom Brevroot said BP is "a very important" character to the Avengers franchise as a whole and that MORE BP related stuff is on the horizon. Hopefully more movie news to follow. :awesome:

Definitely think big things are in store for BP if the comics are an indicator - which Axel Alonso said they could be when it comes to the movies. First up is BP being front and center and the central character in Hickman's new New Avengers book:

2yn3q4p.jpg

Tom Brevroot said BP is "a very important" character to the Avengers franchise as a whole and that MORE BP related stuff is on the horizon. Hopefully more movie news to follow. :awesome:

That's very good news. More visibility for T'Challa is always a great move.

Will he actually be the central character, or is he just featured on the cover? I liked how Hickman wrote T'Challa in Fantastic Four, so I'll give it a good chance.

The first story arc is a continuation of that story, so I imagine he'll be central at least at first.

Will he actually be the central character, or is he just featured on the cover? I liked how Hickman wrote T'Challa in Fantastic Four, so I'll give it a good chance.

Front and center according to Brevoort and the moral center as said by Hickman. The team comes together due to BP and something that has to do with Wakanda. Also Hickman said his story of BP in F4 was the start of something big for the character.

Here's the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"