Everything Everywhere All At Once | A24 | Michelle Yeoh

Saw this yesterday. I think I'd rate it 9/10 for heart and originality, but 7/10 for execution.

I wanted to like this more because it's the type of movie that I usually like (i.e. original / inventive / dramatic / genre-defying), but it ended up being too ridiculous and absurd for me to really get into it. If the filmmakers had kept things more within the realm of believability, I probably would've liked it more.

That said, I still bought into the heart of the movie regardless. All of the actors were so good in their roles - and I have to say JLC was an absolute hoot in her role. And the fight choreography was a standout too - one thing I especially appreciated about that was seeing older actors getting some top-grade fight scenes (i.e. not everyone who got fight scenes was necessarily in their physical prime).

Oddly enough this movie seemed to divide my mostly packed theater about 50/50 - the attempts at humor had about half my theater absolutely roaring with laughter, while the other half wasn't laughing at all. But I didn't see anyone walking out either, so I guess the folks not laughing still enjoyed it?

Last edited:
The Daniels don't do realm of believability.

Even when they direct music videos...

Reactions: Asr
Oddly enough this movie seemed to divide my mostly packed theater about 50/50 - the attempts at humor had about half my theater absolutely roaring with laughter, while the other half wasn't laughing at all. But I didn't see anyone walking out either, so I guess the folks not laughing still enjoyed it?

I didn't laugh much but I utterly loved this movie. I'm sure at the very least people were amused by the humor.

Reactions: Asr
Just an additional post, but because Ke Huy Quan was gone for 20 years and him being so synonymous to me with his iconic roles as a kid, combined with Michelle Yeoh becoming iconic well in her adult life, for some reason when I saw the trailers, I thought that Quan was playing her eldest son. Imagine how taken aback I was that he was playing her husband, and that this dude is within Yeoh's age range.

Just a wake up call for me on how much time has passed since we all last saw him.

I like it, but it's definitely not cohesive. Stephanie Hsu was such a standout for me because I've only seen her small part on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I thought she was great too.

This film was amazing. Definitely some parts that made me glad I didn't invite a parent to go along with me, but otherwise, just god damn amazing.

I just died when the Ratatoulle joke paid off.

Also, am now craving a bagel.

My favorite joke was either the 2001: A Space Odyssey riff or when the dude comes flying thru the air in slow motion to trigger his verse jump. You know which one I'm talking about.

Here's hoping Ke Huy Quan's phone is blowing up. Its a crime that racism kept him out of movies for 30 years.

Once we saw that the Russo brothers produced this movie, my buddy had fun with a tinfoil BS theory that, what if the MCU is also one of multiverse realities for Evelyn. And that MCU Evelyn also has the ability to borrow from other universes which is why we see her as a martial artist as Shang-Chi's aunt and as a Ravager in GOTG2. :D

I had NO idea that the kid who was in Doom and Goonies was in this wow!

I am so happy the hype machine didn't let me down. Such an amazing movie. There were a few gags that weren't my cup of tea, but nothing that can't be forgiven for such an audacious creative vision firing on all cylinders like this. It made me cry so much, but had me leaving the theater feeling so good. Just the perfect movie for this moment in time, everybody needs to see it.

I had NO idea that the kid who was in Doom and Goonies was in this wow!

Yeah it's pretty great. The fact he also gives such a good performance really enhances the experience of the film.

Ignore if you haven't seen the film yet, but
when Evelyn starts to have flashbacks of her happy moments with Waymond, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but there's one where he laughs at something on TV and says "That was very funny" which was delivered very similarly as his character in Temple of Doom whenever he described something as "very funny". It kind of touched a sweet nostalgic nerve in me because it made me recall my own joy as a kid watching Short Round in Temple of Doom.

This FINALLY got to my local theater last week and did not disappoint. What a fun, inventive and utterly bonkers movie. 11/10, more like this please!

Man, I loved this film. Everything about it was perfect for me. I didn't think it was incohesive at all. At least, not in any ways that didn't feel entirely intentional. The absurd aspects to me were just leaning into a more honest depiction of what a multiverse truly represents, which is infinite realities of literally everything.

Even loved the pacing. Around the midway point, I was just starting to fatigue a little from the back to back action sequences, but then literally 30 seconds later, it switched things up again for act 2.

The final act was just a joyful, heart-wrenching sobfest and I'm here for it.

This movie is so good. In terms of Asian American based films, this to me ranks up there with Minari and the Joy Luck Club for me. Better than Crazy Rich Asians.

Took my mother to see this on a whim. We both loved it.

Not everything completely jived with me with some of the OTT-ness, but this film hit all the right boxes emotionally. Whether it was the humor or the sad moments. I was totally engaged and tearing up at times.

Absolutely beautiful film. Glad people are seeing it. My theater was packed.

Last edited:
As an Asian American (Vietnamese American )myself, I gear more towards those who's main cast are of East Asian/Southeast Asian descent from China, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Singapore. Sure, one of the best Asian movies I have seen in the past 20 years was Slumdog Millionaire, but to me, it didn't have the cultural significance that a movie like Joy Luck Club or Crazy Rich Asians had, at least not for me. To me, Slumdog Millionaire is just another really good movie. I don't see Indian films the same way I would with this one or with films from that part of Asia.

As an Asian American (Vietnamese American )myself, I gear more towards those who's main cast are of East Asian/Southeast Asian descent from China, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Singapore. Sure, one of the best Asian movies I have seen in the past 20 years was Slumdog Millionaire, but to me, it didn't have the cultural significance that a movie like Joy Luck Club or Crazy Rich Asians had, at least not for me. To me, Slumdog Millionaire is just another really good movie. I don't see Indian films the same way I would with this one or with films from that part of Asia.

Heh, I’m Indian American and even I didn’t see Slumdog Millionaire as some “culturally significant” movie.

Saw this movie yesterday with my brother-in-law. Went in expecting something really absurd. Was not expecting this to touch me in the way that it did. Wasn’t sure what to think of it coming out of it, but the more I think on it and ponder it, the more I think I love it and I want to see it again.

Some thoughts:

– The butt plug scene. Just...the butt plug scene.

– The reality where all of them had hotdogs for fingers simultaneously weirded and grossed me out, but also weirdly kind of touched me.

–The Ratatouille parody floored me in how hilarious it was and and how invested I was in that subplot.

– Jenny Slate with a Pomeranian ball and chain.

–Ke Huy Quan kicks all kinds of ass and looks pretty dapper in that Chinese romance drama reality.

–Rocks and subtitles. That is all.

– The ending monologue with the mother talking to her daughter and introducing the girlfriend to the grandfather definitely moved me and nearly brought me to tears.

Don’t know what else I can say that hasn’t already been said, except to say that everyone should go see this movie, if not for the sole reason that we need movies like this to succeed so we can get more movies like this.

To paraphrase Chris Stuckmann, this movie is a celestial event. It is a miracle that this even exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"