Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

Perhaps with the film centered about Obi Wan you would almost have to go into his origins into his early childhood into his Jedi training which goes into his teenage years showing him as a young man which then would take us into Phantom Menace and then it would have to take us into Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith

There's a rumor going around that Daldry left the film six months ago and that now it might debut on Disney's streaming service.

Personally, I find the idea repugnant. Star Wars movies should always be a theater experience. It doesn't sound likely to me, though.

They were always going to have Star Wars films on the streaming service at some point. I'm a little surprised it's the Obi-Wan film, figured it'd be some smaller thing without a name character, but honestly what better way to push/sell the Disney streaming thing than an exclusive Obi-Wan movie?

I get the logic there. Doesn't sound like they've decided one way or another yet though.

Obi-Wan's a different case, though, as presumably before now it was intended for the big screen. I suppose it's not as bad as what happened with Cloverfield Paradox, but there's something about an Obi-Wan film starring Ewan McGregor never getting a theatrical release that rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't mind it if it was some C-list character's who only claim to fame is they have an action figure, but Ben Kenobi?

But this might just be me being a luddite, as I don't have Netflix and am opposed to "real" movies premiering that way, especially VFX heavy action films.

Well, rumor today is that Ewan is 'secretly' filming to appear as Obi-Wan in Episode IX, and not for a spinoff film. I guess time will tell the true tale of this mistery :hehe:.

At this point this Obi-Wan Kenobi spinoff is my only hope for Star Wars excitement, to be honest :csad:

Who knows. It all seems so bizarre at this point, i won't rule anything out. Stranger things have happened :hehe:

An Obi-Wan film... #yawn.

Personally.. I think you're almost certain to see at least a couple year gap between Episode 9 and anything else cinematically, simply because they want to see if Abrams rights the ship with 9 before really investing in other stuff.

At the same time, they have to let the stench of the gaslighting campaign on TLJ hopefully subside(but they have a receipt coming for that that is larger than just having Solo bomb).

Also, with having their directors like Gunn and Johnson still go after the fans for their debacle, there is a very good chance they've simply destroyed the brand beyond repair.

cqiwCgK.jpg

So the former mayor of Northern Ireland Boris Johnson blurted out during a speech at a conference this weekend that George Lucas is making the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie shooting in Northern Ireland sometime next year.

So what's going on?
Does he not know that George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney way back in 2012?
Does he mean Lucasfilm/Disney?
Is he mistakenly referring to just a rumored Kenobi movie before things got shuttered?
Just going off what tabloids stories reported ? Or does he have some insight on the deal?
Is this thing legit going into production like he believes?

Jump to 23:12

Last edited:
Sooooo rumor lately is that the Obi-Wan film wont be so, but instead it will be a limited tv series, with as many as 6 episodes.

This could explain why Ewan McGregor was at the Solo premiere way back when, and maybe the issues with the movie's reception forced Disney to rethink and make the Kenobi movie a tv series instead. Rumor is that the script is solid, and they'll base the series on it.

Here's to hoping!

Rumorville: A ‘Star Wars’ Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Is Disney’s Next Streaming Project + More to Watch

“Star Wars” Obi-Wan Kenobi Series
Turns out we haven’t seen the last of the Jedis: Disney’s new streaming service Disney+ reportedly has an Obi-Wan Kenobi “Star Wars” series on the docket. The limited series, which would be as many as six episodes, is apparently a top priority for the service, which already has several “Star Wars” standalone series in development, including the highly-anticipated “The Mandalorian” and the Cassian Andor series. There has been no official announcement of the project yet—though it may come at the franchise’s upcoming Star Wars Celebration—nor has there been any indication of whether prequel series Kenobi actor Ewan McGregor will star or not. If it does get off the ground, Sarah Finn is the casting director for “The Mandalorian” and other “Star Wars” projects and in the absence of upcoming Marvel projects could be added to this one as well.

This has been a rumor for awhile. It does seem they are taking the anthology movies and turning them into series (one of the reasons why I think the Mando main character might end up actually being Boba.) I really like that idea. Taking those ideas and turning them into shows. Also gives me hope that one day we will get an Aphra show.

I really hope this happens and we might just get the official announcement at D23.

Last edited:
Can we get this approved as the theme for the show? :o

Great news.
Wandering (Ronin) last Jedi Knight, is a great context for a show.
just have him secretly check in on young Luke, and some stealth meeting with Bail Organa (Smits) and the fledgling rebellion for context, and the rest is open frontier, as the purge comes to an end, the Jedi slip into little more than myth and legend, he now walks the path alone, ever more recluse .... awaiting the new hope.;)

Also thread needs to be moved into the SW TV forum.

Last edited:
This one is going to be popular! Very glad to hear it’s happening.

Reactions: Bim
I mean really, what are they going to do if he says no? Just move onto someone else? I’m sure that’ll go over well. Ewan is near-universally beloved as Kenobi.

Ewan isnt going to say no unless they give him a terrible deal. He apparently loves the character and his time in the role despite the problems with the prequels' production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"