Ewan McGregor in talks for "Obi-Wan Spin-off"

Discussion in 'Stand-Alone Movies' started by HarryOsborn, Jun 7, 2015.

1. titansupes Registered

2. Gothamsknight Registered

Oh my, this is fantastic news.

3. JimThompson Registered

I would like to be excited about this but right now it looks like the folks associated with Star Wars could screw up a square knot.

4. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

They've gotten highly accomplished showrunners for the first two series, so I'm curious who they'll snag for this, being the most high profile series so far.

5. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

They've gotten highly accomplished showrunners for the first two series, so I'm curious who they'll snag for this, being the most high profile series so far.

6. Closerframe Registered

Since Solo flopped, I hope they include Darth Maul in this series in some capacity.

7. Cattywompus Registered

Canon says Obi-Wan & Maul does not cross path again until that Rebels episode. Both of them are force sensitive so it wouldn't be as easy as Anakin never meeting Grievious in The Clone Wars as they would sense each other. Im waiting to see how this comes together before I get excited about anything however as god knows what changes Disney will wanna do

8. titansupes Registered

I know this is blasphemous, but I'm 100% fine with them ignoring those SW:R episodes and including Ray Park as Maul in this series. It was always so odd to me that they decided that would be the place for their rematch when a live-action Obi-Wan movie/show seemed inevitable since day 1.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  9. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

It seems very unlikely that the Obi-Wan series won't include Darth Maul somehow.

10. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Whose real crime (for me anyway) was not focusing on his Obi-Wan enough. So yes this can totally make up for that.
    Yeah I don't need them to be strictly beholden to everything from Rebels.
    If nothing else he can be behind the scenes assembling a man hunt for him.

#284 Mondragon, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  11. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Maul became a character in TCW and Rebels. Filoni and Witwer gave Maul life far beyond the TPM. The idea that it wouldn't take place there, seems odd.

12. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

What? Outside of Anakin Skywalker himself, who gets more focus in the prequel films then Obi-Wan? Even Padme takes a backseat to Obi-Wan. In fact Obi-Wan in the prequels got more screen time then everyone else in Star Wars except for Luke and Anakin as a whole. Now Rey should pass him with IX, but I mean, come on. Those are the three main characters of Star Wars. :funny:

[​IMG]

13. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Lol, I guess that goes to show screen time minute-count doesn't automatically equal great focus, or character development. For a character and concept) whose past (the Jedi in their prime) I had once imagined being potentially the most interesting (particularly the friendship, training and betrayal by Anakin), and an actor who I thought was a great choice to capture it, my overall memory of the character is it left little impact, and was quite forgettable.
    He's left behind when we actually meet Anakin, later reduced to allot of dull scolding, his own side story were mostly uninteresting, so much so even the final stand off it was all building to, felt flat (for me).
    That's on the whole prequel though (which to be fair I only watched once and never went back to). Nothing on McGregor who again I thought was a great choice, and it speaks to it , that he's the only character that left me wanting to see more of him, hence I'm really anticipating the new series.

I think the wanderings of the lone Jedi is a great vehicle for the character and actor.

#287 Mondragon, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. Gothamsknight Registered

As much as I'd LOVE to see obi wan and maul fight in a live action show, and trust me I would, I can't seem them undoing rebels.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  15. Bim Registered

The day they confirm McGregor for this (i dont want to see anyone else as Obi-Wan!) know i'll be crying somewhere, jumping around filled with joy. THIS would bring back my massive Star Wars excitement for sure

16. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

It was odd, but their confrontation in the show is so perfect that I don't want it to be touched. There's a lot you can do with Obi-Wan in the desert without Maul being involved.

17. Marvolo Registered

The Rebels confrontation between Obi and Maul was perfect. Especially the way Obi baited Maul into trying the same move that he killed Quigon with. Obi came across like an actual master that knew his opponent intimately.

And it would just screw up the canon if they ignored it.

DarthSkywalker and Iceman like this.
  18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Show is official.

Broseph44 likes this.
  19. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Sir Alec wants to know what he did wrong? I really like Ewan as Obi-Wan, but he is like the third best Obi-Wan after Sir Alec and Taylor.

20. OtherwiseKnownAs Damn fine coffee

The Galaxy Far, Far Away Just Got A Little Bigger... | StarWars.com

Bim likes this.
  21. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

It's probably the most well thought out and realistic duel in the entire franchise imo, if they brought in Maul to the show at some point I'd want them to basically adapt the Rebels story and duel faithfully just mostly from Obi-Wan and Maul's perspective rather than the Rebels characters.

22. Gothamsknight Registered

23. StarLord You fight well. In the old style.

[​IMG]

Bim likes this.
  24. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I knew Christopher Robin would agree.

25. StarLord You fight well. In the old style.

They missed out on the opportunity for Christopher Robin to say ''Hello bear'' to Pooh.

I was disappointed :o

26. Bim Registered