Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

Definitely interested, though a Yoda prequel would really be ambitious.

I need to find all the posts saying this wouldn't happen so I can mock them mercilessly. :o

Still waiting on the official word from Lucasfilm.

I really want to know what the pitch for this movie is. They have an opportunity to go really outside convention and do a small, quiet character piece with this. Just 90 minutes of Ben in the desert, going from youngish Jedi to wizened old hermit. I doubt that's what the final product will end up being, but we'll see.

This is something to get excited about.

giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-9174-1425343344-23.gif

Just researched the director and discovered that he's pretty talentless, he seems to specialize in Oscar-bait, and he made one of my least favorite movies ever. Unless they go with a different director, I guess there's not much to get excited about after all.

Yeah and the Russo brothers made You Me Dupree before Winter Soldoer and Civil War. And James Gunn managed to make two good GOTG films despite his underwhelming resume.

When youre dealing with machines like Marvel, Disney, and Lucasfilm the resumes of the directors they hire dont tell us much because those studios can make a good film even with a green or questionable director.

Plus, this is all in the very early stages. Any number of things could cause this director to pass on the job. The fact that Disney is setting the gears in motion for an Obi-Wan film is exciting regardless of the director they are courting for the job.

Yeah. This is fantastic news as far as I'm concerned.

How will an spinoff of Obi Wan even work, he mostly spends between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hype on Tatooine taking care of Luke and chasing away Sand People. Most of the movie will probably be an live action adaptation of Star Wars Rebels with Obi Wan meeting Ezra and battling against Darth Maul.

Can we get 1 movie that doesn't connect to the original movies?

Just researched the director and discovered that he's pretty talentless, he seems to specialize in Oscar-bait, and he made one of my least favorite movies ever. Unless they go with a different director, I guess there's not much to get excited about after all.

What I'm getting from this is less about the quality of his work and more about the fact that he hasn't been making movies exclusively aimed at you.

How will an spinoff of Obi Wan even work, he mostly spends between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hype on Tatooine taking care of Luke and chasing away Sand People. Most of the movie will probably be an live action adaptation of Star Wars Rebels with Obi Wan meeting Ezra and battling against Darth Maul.

No they wont make this a live action remake of what we've already seen in Rebels. Itd be a waste of millions of dollars and thousands of hours of work and little gain. Plus it would muddle the new canon by having two different versions of the events shown in Rebels.

Obi-Wan spent 19 years on Tatooine (tho they probably could have him leave at least once for some reason) so there is plenty he could have gotten up to during that time. We know he actively protected Luke. And Tatooine is a hub for crime syndicates (Black Sun could be the villains), smugglers, bounty hunters, Hutts etc. Thats a variety of antagonists to choose from.

Last edited:
Can we get 1 movie that doesn't connect to the original movies?

Probably after Episode 9 and the ObiWan spinoff. While the current trilogy is in progress they are trying to keep all their the focus on the OT era and its characters.

Yeah and the Russo brothers made You Me Dupree before Winter Soldoer and Civil War. And James Gunn managed to make two good GOTG films despite his underwhelming resume.

When youre dealing with machines like Marvel, Disney, and Lucasfilm the resumes of the directors they hire dont tell us much because those studios can make a good film even with a green or questionable director.

Plus, this is all in the very early stages. Any number of things could cause this director to pass on the job. The fact that Disney is setting the gears in motion for an Obi-Wan film is exciting regardless of the director they are courting for the job.

Fair enough, I suppose I have seen directors fail at movies and then make phenomenal ones. I really do hope this guy is able to make something good. Even if the movie itself stinks, I will say that I'm looking forward to simply seeing more of Obi-Wan played by McGreggor. Even the prequels couldn't ruin him.

What I'm getting from this is less about the quality of his work and more about the fact that he hasn't been making movies exclusively aimed at you.

Um...no. I couldn't care less about what genre he works in, this guy seems to do a lot of drama films (as opposed to action or sci-fi), which I'm fine with, it could be interesting to see a Star Wars movie less focused on action, if done well.

The problem is quality. His film Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one of the worst films I've ever sat through, it's laughably bad. It actually had some interesting elements and setup, but the film was very poorly made and it went nowhere. This could be the result of the writer or the source material, but it certainly raises some red flags.

MacGregor's a cooler Kenobi that Guiness ever was (not taking anything away from Sir Alec, but Ewan was really born to play the role).

This is huge news. Hopefully they can slot Boba Fett in the story some how.

Well, let's not say things we can't take back.

What's next? A Chewbacca prequel? This is just laziness to me. They literally have a whole galaxy they could explore and we keep going back to the same characters. Give me something new.

What's next? A Chewbacca prequel? This is just laziness to me. They literally have a whole galaxy they could explore and we keep going back to the same characters. Give me something new.

I mean I can agree with your overall sentiment but this is one movie I've been wanting to see for a while, especially if they get McGreggor back.

I kind of agree. I mean Ewan McGregor is a fairly good Obi-Wan, so there's that. But it just seems like a waste of a whole movie when there's so much new territory they could explore.

Hopefully, there aren't any directorial or creative issues for this one.

Also, Kenobi was clearly trying to keep a LOW profile on Tatooine as well and not draw attention to himself. Tattooine might've been in the Outer Rim, but it did have an Imperial presence.

Last edited:

I agree wholeheartedly. I still want an Obi-wan film, don't get me wrong, but this is what will lead to SW fatigue. Are they tapped out of ideas, or are they scared to take some risks? How about set a film 200 years after TFA? Tell me an entirely new story with completely new characters.

We are already getting a Chewie prequel. Its the Han Solo movie.

And I wouldnt call it laziness. Its a sensible business decision. There has been a demand from the fanbase for an Obi-Wan film. IDK how high that demand actually is but its been something thats been repeatedly asked about by fans, bloggers, and interviewers. Ewan's Obi-wan is liked, and Ewan has repeatedly expressed his desire to return. It makes financial sense that theyd want to do an Obi-Wan film.

Also, lets keep things in perspective. This will be the third anthology film set in the OT era. It will be Disney's 6th star wars film. By the time we get to 2020 we will have 3 films set in the Republic era, 6 films set in the Imperial Era and 3 in the First Order era. We will have 6 films featuring Leia (She was cameo in one of those.), 5 or 6 films featuring Luke, and 5 films featuring Han. This will be the 7th film featuring Obi-Wan and 2 of those films he was little more than a cameo. All those films introduce new characters, new places, new ideas.

This is very similar to how Disney and Marvel have handled the MCU. They produce films all set close to the same era that all link closely together. With a core set of characters that are constant throughout the films and new characters and elements are introduced throughout those films. The only films thats really branched out and did something really different is the two GOTG films, but even they link back to the rest of the films. And all those films are working together towards a goal. Theyve mentioned they might try something really different with Phase 4 after Avengers 4.

So why is it bad when Disney and Lucasfilm do pretty much the same with the star wars franchise? Why do people automatically ***** about the idea of a film set in the Imperial era? Why is there this dumb demand put on Lucasfilm that they do something completely out of left field right away?

Last edited:
I think they are a little scared to take the franchises to some completely brand-new areas, at least where the movies are concerned. Look what's happened with the directors of Rogue One and Han Solo.

It's understandable because they have a lot of money riding on these films, and the decisions have worked out well so far. But fatigue will be unavoidable at some point.

My hope is that the major video games in development will turn out some more original characters and ideas.

I think the fear of being too experimental for Star Wars potentially comes from how maligned the prequels generally are.

I totally get people wanting to see a new Obi-Wan Kenobi movie because he's a popular character. Ewan McGregor is 46 and sort of in a good sweet spot where he can play an aging Kenobi, and he's still keen to play the character again.

At the same time, I think people are being too dedicated to their nostalgia sometimes. We've seen so many prequels to A New Hope at this point. I kind of want to see something that's not a A New Hope prequel. I feel like we've done this period so much already, it'd be nice to see something far removed from both Prequel and Original Trilogies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"