Extant - Coming to CBS Summer 2014

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/hot...s-at-cbs-with-13-episode-order-for-summer-14/
Hot Amblin TV Sci-Fi Spec ‘Extant’ Lands At CBS With 13-Episode Order For Summer ’14
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

After making waves in the marketplace, the sci-fi drama spec Extant from new writer Mickey Fisher and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television has landed at CBS with a straight-to-series order for 13 episodes to air next summer. On CBS, Extant will join another serialized sci-fi drama from Amblin TV, Under The Dome, which was recently renewed for next summer after a breakout freshman run. Broadcast, basic and premium cable networks were all heavily pursuing Extant, which hit the market a couple of weeks ago. Most suitors offered production commitments, making the choice difficult, with the producers mulling whether to go lighter with the material on broadcast or darker on cable. I hear the winning pitch by CBS’ Nina Tassler was that the network successfully launched Amblin’s Under The Dome, which also was a 13-episode straight-to-series order, and that Extant could be paired with the Stephen King adaptation to form a Steven Spielberg night.

Extant, which CBS TV Studios will co-produce with Amblin TV, is a futuristic thriller about a female astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. “Extant is a very original concept with layers of humanity, mystery and surprise that reveal itself throughout the script,” Tassler said. “Our partnership with Amblin for Under The Dome showed that viewers respond to high-quality event programming in the summer. We look forward to building on that with Extant and offering CBS audiences another high-concept, unique event for summer television.”

Spielberg, who not always lends his name to Amblin series, is executive producing Extant with Greg Walker, who serves as showrunner, Fisher, Fisher’s manager Brooklyn Weaver and Amblin TV’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. The series will be distributed worldwide by CBS Studios International. Like Under The Dome, which streams on Amazon four days after the CBS premiere, Extant will likely too get a short-window digital distribution deal.
Hope CBS doesn't try to limit just how sci-fi they go with this. Under the Dome, being SK-based, is pretty much a "crazy **** happens to normal, everyday people" story, this seems a little more out there.

hmm as much as I like the sound of this, lets face it Spielberg doesn have a good track record when it comes to tv series.

Eh. It's not a great track record, but it's certainly not a bad one.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/halle-berry-star-cbs-steven-643458
Halle Berry to Star in CBS' Steven Spielberg Drama 'Extant'
12:30 PM PDT 10/4/2013 by Lesley Goldberg, Michael O'Connell

The Oscar winner has also inked a two-year first-look production deal with CBS Television Studios.

Halle Berry is heading to the small screen.

The Oscar winner has been tapped to star in Steven Spielberg's CBS summer drama Extant and inked The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Extant is described as a futuristic thriller about a female astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately change the course of human history.

Berry will play the astronaut who returns home from a year-long solo mission in space and tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.

"Halle is the type of award-winning actress you dream of collaborating with for an event project such as Extant," CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said. "Her talent and ability to immerse herself into every performance has created memorable roles that have resonated with audiences everywhere. It’s a big coup for CBS to have Halle star in her first television series, especially with such an exciting original concept and a role layered with mystery and humanity."

Added Berry: "I'm always on the lookout for amazing roles and when you see material that contains this strong of auspices, nuance and complexity it compels me to run toward it no matter the medium. For five months a year I'll get to live with and play this incredibly intelligent and vulnerable woman, and for the remainder of the year I'll continue to look for other roles that move me as deeply as this one. I've found amazing partners in CBS's Nina Tassler and Les Moonves, and the incredible Steven Spielberg, along with his Amblin production team, whose vision and creativity in storytelling is unparalleled."

"There's only one Halle Berry and we are incredibly honored that she has chosen Extant to expand her illustrious career," Spielberg said. “As she does with everything she touches, she will bring a deep authenticity to her role and I very much look forward to working with her.”

Spielberg, Greg Walker and Mickey Fisher, who penned the script, will executive produce alongside Brooklyn Weaver, Justin Falvey andDarryl Frank. CBS Television Distribution will handle domestic distribution, while CBS Studios International will handle worldwide rights. Adam Rodin will co-exec produce.

The drama reteams CBS with Amblin, who also are behind this summer's top scripted drama Under the Dome. For its part, CBS has already renewed Dome, from CBSTVS and DreamWorks TV,for a second season after the pricey series proved that there's a home for high-quality original scripted programming during the typically low-rated summer months. CBS struck an early content licensing deal with Amazon, giving Amazon Prime members unlimited access to the serialized drama four days after the network broadcast, helping offset the costs of the adaptation of Stephen King's book.

Berry, repped by Vincent Cirrincione and CAA. Her credits include Monster's Ball, for which she won an Academy Award. Her feature film credits include X-Men and Die Another Day. Her TV roles include HBO's Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, for which she earned an Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG Award. She also earned Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for Oprah Winfrey's Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Daaaaamn, son. :up:

From Deadline:
Landing Berry represents a major coup for CBS as the actress has been wooed to do series for years but had turned down every project to date, including Showtime’s Homeland and CBS’ Hostages last season.
Berry was approached for Carrie Mathison?! :eek:

Oh ****! They got Berry!
eek.gif

I'm surprised she's going to do a television series. I know it's become acceptable now to for big screen, big name Hollywood stars to do it but I never thought of her as one to step into the world of television.

That's a big damn casting news.

From Deadline:

Berry was approached for Carrie Mathison?! :eek:

Woah! Hostages really could use her about now.

She couldn't save Hostages. The show lost me with the pilot.

Though, I saw someone comment on Deadline, that Brody's wife might have been the role she was approached about for Homeland.

Halle Berry, Kerry Washington and Nicole Beharie. All leading their own series.

Your're move NBC.

FYI, I've always liked Halle as an actress. Of course, she only came back as Storm after a few box office failures.

Your're move NBC.

FYI, I've always liked Halle as an actress. Of course, she only came back as Storm after a few box office failures.

The Call was successful. I think she would have returned as Storm in any event. Who would pass up playing a superhero? Although I wish she hadn't. I like her but I don't think she's right for the part.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/looper-breakout-cast-as-halle-650196
'Looper' Breakout Cast as Halle Berry's Son in CBS' 'Extant' (Exclusive)
3:30 PM PDT 10/22/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

Pierce Gagnon will play Ethan in the drama series from Steven Spielberg.

CBS has found an on-screen son for Halle Berry in Extant.

Looper breakout Pierce Gagnon has joined the Oscar winner in CBS' summer 2014 drama series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Extant is a futuristic thriller about a female astronaut named Molly (Berry) trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. The character's experiences lead to events that ultimately change the course of human history.

Gagnon will play Ethan, Molly's son, who is more than he appears to be.

Spielberg, along with Greg Walker and Mickey Fisher, who penned the script for the CBS Television Studios and Amblin Television effort, will executive produce with Brooklyn Weaver, Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. CBS Television Distribution will handle domestic distribution, while CBS Studios International will handle worldwide rights. Adam Rodin will co-exec produce alongside Berry.

In addition to Looper, Gagnon's credits also include ABC pilot Big Thunder, Wish I Was Here, Rio 2 and Tomorrowland. He's repped by CESD, Principato-Young and Hansen Jacobson.

Extant will premiere next summer on CBS.
He was great in Looper.

Your're move NBC.

There was Undercovers in 2010, Deception last season.

I'm sure they'll have something for 2014.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/hir...cbs-series-extant-showtimes-power-casts-trio/
Japanese actor Hiroyuki Sanada, recently seen in The Wolverine, is set to co-star opposite Halle Berry in CBS’ upcoming summer drama series Extant, from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV and CBS Studios. Created by Mickey Fisher, it centers on an astronaut (Berry) who returns home from a year-long solo mission in space and tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. Sanada will play a wealthy technological genius who put his wealth to work privatizing the world’s space programs into a single entity. The actor — repped by CAA, Axon Entertainment, Lighthouse Entertainment and Sheppard, Mullin — just finished voicing a character in Universal’s Despicable Me Minions spinoff and will next be seen as the chief Samurai Oishi in Universal Pictures’ 47 Ronin and the Weinstein Co’s The Railway Man.

Halle Berry, Hiroyuki Sanada and the kid from Looper in a sci-fi series made by Steven Spielberg?

I just may check this out.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/camryn-manheim-to-co-star-in-cbs-series-extant/
Camryn Manheim To Co-Star In CBS Series ‘Extant’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Camryn Manheim is set to co-star opposite Halle Berry in CBS’ upcoming summer drama series Extant, from from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV and CBS Television Studios. The serialized mystery thriller centers on Molly (Berry), an astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. Manheim will play Sam Barton, Molly’s best friend and closest confidant. This marks Manheim’s first series regular role since another CBS drama, The Ghost Whisperer. The actress, who won an Emmy for her role on ABC’s The Practice, also co-starred in the CBS miniseries Elvis, which earned her an Emmy nom, and has done multiple episodes of the networks’ popular crime dramas Criminal Minds and Person Of Interest. She also recurred on NBC’s Harry’s Law, from The Practice creator David E. Kelley.

This is sounding quite interesting, I'll have to check it out. On paper it certainly sounds like a strange fit for CBS.

[YT]c0o7R0VpfR8[/YT]
[YT]eDQQwGP-ceY[/YT]

Hmm...

Looks very 2001-ish, with the baby iconography.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/goran-visnjic-extant-cbs-halle-berry/
Goran Visnjic To Co-Star In CBS’ ‘Extant’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

ER alum Goran Visnjic is set to co-star opposite Halle Berry in CBS‘ upcoming summer drama series Extant, from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV and CBS Television Studios. The serialized mystery thriller centers on Molly (Berry), an astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. Visnjic will play Molly’s husband John Watts. Also cast in the series is Michael O’Neill as Alvin Sparks, a former astronaut who now is the director of the privatized space program. They join previously cast Camryn Manheim. Visnjic most recently starred on ABC’s Red Widow.

Last edited:
http://tvline.com/2014/01/31/extant-season-1-cast-grace-gummer-julie/
CBS' Extant Adds Newsroom's Grace Gummer
BY KIMBERLY ROOTS

Grace Gummer will be aboard CBS’ Extant when it launches this summer.

The Newsroom actress will play Julie, who — along with Goran Visnjic’s John — is behind the creation of robot prototypes like Ethan, the son of John and Molly (played by Halle Berry).

Extant is a mystery thriller that follows Molly, an astronaut trying to settle back into her home life after a year-long solo mission. Ultimately, her experiences in both space and at home will lead to events that change the course of history.

In addition to playing Jim’s Vassar-obsessed love interest on The Newsroom, Gummer’s resumé includes roles on American Horror Story: Coven, Zero Hour and Smash.

Extant, from CBS Television Studios and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment, is scheduled to bow Wednesday, July 2, at 9/8c.
They landed one of Meryl's spawn. :up:

Louis Gossett Jr. has been tapped to play the father of Halle Berry's female astronaut character in CBS' summer series Extant, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively.

Extant tells the story of Molly (Berry), an astronaut trying to reconnect with her family after a year in outer space. Gossett will play Molly's affable but undependable father, Quinn, a retired doctor living out his days in an isolated island community, out of touch with the world and estranged from his daughter.

Best known for his Oscar-winning role in An Officer and a Gentleman and his Emmy-winning role in Roots, Gossett is slated to appear in at least two episodes beginning with Episode 4.

Goran Visnjic, Grace Gummer, Camryn Manheim and Michael O'Neill will also star in Extant, which hails from Steven Spielberg.

Extant premieres Wednesday, July 2 at 9/8c on CBS.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Extant-Louis-Gossett-Jr-CBS-1079080.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"