Extra! Extra! Read All About It! Disney Rip Off F4 In New Movie!

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Ultimate Movie-Man, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Mister Sinister Picture of Paul McCartney

2. Seeker Registered

You should read more. At least three sci-fi writers from the 40´s extrapolated on the fact that, to become invisible, you should create a way to bend light around you, and that this light-bending should be thru the creation of a force-field (a la Predator).

Stan Lee just made Sue throw her force-field around, but not even that is a novel idea: on Robert Scheckley´s "...No, You Don´t!", first published in 1952, the three heroes are able to project their fields and turn the entire city they live invisible from the eyes of invaders. By doing that, they discover that things hit and bounce back from the shields and start using ´em as weapons.

The climax is when a character - a woman - explodes the armour of the enemy FROM THE INSIDE by projecting her force field inside the only vulnerable place: the eye slits from the helmet of the armour.

BTW, the enemies from Scheckley´s novel are called Lavtians.

3. Sarge Registered

I was talking about the scene in Sky High. :o

4. Seeker Registered

Well, it is ONE scene that lasts, say, 5 seconds. And Sky High, being a comedy, doesn´t rip JUST F4. It rips pretty much every comic book standard, from Superman to The Inferior Five.

5. Malus Registered

Gee, I guess I stand corrected.
    Obviously Brad Bird stole Violet from those stories.:rolleyes:

6. Sarge Registered

You ever think that it was y'know...an homage?

7. The Female Torch Registered

I dont care what YOU say, I am entitled to my own opions! :mad:

If you want to know how old I am look at my profile!!!:mad:

BTW I liked :ff: it was good movie :mad:

8. Sarge Registered

I didn't insult your opinion, I just pointed out that this whole thing was a coincedence and not some vast conspiracy lead by Disney to replace the Fantastic Four.

9. The Female Torch Registered

You call Disney copying EVERY single powers that the :ff: had and giving it to the Incredibles a coincedence???!!! They so knew what they were doing :mad:

10. The Guard Registered

Everything borrows from everything. SKY HIGH and THE INCREDIBLES borrowed from the superhero genre. Which is normal, since they are CLEARLY basically parodies of it.

11. Sarge Registered

Thank you. Are all Fantastic Four fans such small minded conspiracy theorists? 'cause I know that Lightnin isn't. :o

12. Malus Registered

An homage? By a writer/director who claims to have never read the FF?
    No.
    If Brad Bird had simply acknowledged the glaringly obvious debt his enjoyable little film owes to the original works of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, there wouldn't be an issue as far as I'm concerened. But he didn't do that. Instead, he admitted to only a passing familiarity.
    This subject has been discussed and debated on this board extensively and -at times- ad nauseum over the last few months. Rather than go through it all again, I will see if I can't ferret out my best-constructed essay on Mr. Bird's "homage" and quote it in another post. May take a day or so; it's a busy week for me.
    But for now, I'll sum it up with this:
    In The Incredibles we have a family of four super-powered characters trying to live as normal a life as possible despite their variousdysfunctions. 2 of the 4 characters have powers identical in every way to members of the Fantastic Four. And a 3rd (their leader) sports a name that echoes the name of the group! Is there a "Mr. Avengers?" A "Mr. Justice League?" No. There is only Mr. Fantastic.
    There's plenty more.
    Bottom line: I'd have no problem whatsoever with The Incredibles if it was an admitted homage to FF. But it's not.

13. pyromaniac Registered

Surprisingly - no one has sued. :)

14. invincible mann Registered

similar powers dont constitute theft

and her powers are similar not identical
    violet cant turn objects invisible
    the only exception is her new suit
    and that was designed by edna mode

15. Malus Registered

You're right. It's completely different.
    Don't forget her hair is black, too.:rolleyes:

16. invincible mann Registered

didnt say it was completly different

said it was similar not identical
    you wamt to talk identical?
    lets talk plastic man
    so should we sue marvel for creating reed?

17. The Female Torch Registered

Yah huh :/

18. invincible mann Registered

no one will sue because the incredibles is just different enough to make it difficult for marvel to win

19. Malus Registered

Exactly.

Of course nothing deterred Disney from suing Marvel over Howard the Duck back in the 80's simply because the character was a duck and "could create some confusion" in the minds of the public.

That position should come back to haunt them.

And I never saw them sue Warners over Daffy.

20. invincible mann Registered

did disney win the howard the duck lawsuit?

21. Malus Registered

If I understand correctly, it never even went to court. Marvel's lawyers basically wet their pants and rolled over and as part of the "settlement" actually let Disney artists dictate to Marvel the physical changes necessary to distinguish Howard from Donald. The most notorious if these chnages was the addition of pants. Other abominations included shortening his bill, making his eyes smaller, lightening his color, etc.
    These Disney artists basically designed the ugliest duck they could envision, and were probably laughing their asses off the whole time. I'll see if I can find a couple of before and after pictures to post here. It was awful, and the redesign didn't exactly help a book that was already floundering after losing its creator and writer (Steve Gerber).

Then there was that awful movie. :(

From 1974-1979, Howard the Duck was one of the most original creations to ever come out of Marvel Comics. It was funny, irreverant and biting. Sadly, there's just nothing like it out there today.

22. Seeker Registered

As they say, "You don´t **** with the Mouse"...

23. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

Actually I liked Sky High, but technically, it bit more off of X-Men's Mutant High concept than anything else.

24. The Thing 2005 Registered

I think the Incredibles helped the FF movie. People identified more readly with their powers from having seen the Incredables, and they had to reshoot 1 or more scenes, because it resembled the Incredables.:thing:

25. Seeker Registered

In the commentary track of the DVD, he DOES say that Incredibles is loosely based on the First Family of the comic books, the FF.