Famitsu Rates Final Fantasy XII 10/10 10/10 10/10 10/10

Zenien said:
You saying I'm being a fangirl when you're own original posts are just dripping with lies and fanboyism is rich. None of those links show anything more then he left Square. Congrats, you've proven a point that I didn't argue against.

Annnnyway...
Don't anyway your way out of being an idiot, you want the last word you may actually try typing something that makes sense zenien. No, I didn't prove a point that you argued against, I proved a point that Credible argued against, hence why I kept quoting him and talking to him Zenien. And how are they dripping with "lies" and "fanboyism"? I didn't bring up systems period - you did. I didn't post links and then go against what they said - you did.

Producers in video games are the core of the whole project.
Given his occupation he would probably know better than you or I zenien. My posts mirror the reality of the industry - that producers are generally the core of the whole project. And using the credits that you posted, he was the producer. The core of the whole project. Your posts on the otherhand mirror the ideal situation for someone who doesn't want to give a non-sony product or game an inch, if you really want to make system allegiances a key issue here.

Link, context? I can think of a producer who has made comment that goes against what Sakaguchi alledgedly just said, one is Hideo Kojima, the other is David Jaffe, and then the producer behind ICO. Eitherway Denton, you're taking an idealized version, you honestly want to believe that he was the creative driving force behind each and every game they put out when he was executive producer for each one? Executive Producer is a step removed from producer, he oversees the overseeer, and I don't doubt that he talked and had a hand in the plots and overall tones of even the PS1 FF games and so on, but to thjink that he's primarilly responsible for them is insane. You get back to reality, the people primarilly responsible for those games are the ones specifically credited for those aspects.

I don't want to give a Non-Sony product an inch when I already said that Mistwalker could make great games and that Sakaguchi is very talented. While you say that Mistwalker > Square-Enix when Mistwalker hasn't released a single game and that between Square-Enix and Mistwalker, Mistwalker are the only ones making real Japanese RPGs.

artist71 said:
How did you know that? Seriously. Most people do not know that. Producers in video games are the core of the whole project. Are you keeping a secret?
Here's context, the "link" would be the number 3 on the page viewer, since it happened in this very thread, though I guess you didn't read it. And again, stop acting like I've said he made the games himself. I know he didn't. I know he didn't hand craft each one. HAD A HAND IN. That's it Zenien. He had a hand in them, that's what I have said, and that is what you have agreed with in your last post.

And no, I didn't say "Mistwalker is the only one making real japanese RPGs", I said that as in "real RPGs don't come from Japan", but I guess I overestimated the board again.

why did you quote me? I don't think I said anything like that. I was talking to Stephen. Am I missing something?!

Edit: I think I know why now. Sorry.

This account is Stephen's back up that the mods uncharacteristically missed, and thus I am Stephen, just with a new name that is tailor made to antagonize zenien :o

EDIT: Nevermind :(

Dnsk said:
So when does this PS2 Game come out
The US is due to get it 'before the end of the year'. Lord only knows when we'll get it in Europe.

Apparently North America and Europe will get it this November.

Zenien said:
Apparently North America and Europe will get it this November.
Do you think it's a conscious decision to release FFXII when the PS3 is due for a worldwide launch, or just coincidence? I shouldn't think it will have too big an impact upon sales.

I'm not entirely sure. The release of the PS3 won't have a detrimental impact on the short term sales of FFXII, though it will probably impact the long term sales... but you never know. The release of the PS3 could in fact strengthen the awareness of FFXII among the internet circles... Maybe Sony and Square have implemented some hooks in the FFXII code to enable things like FSAA, Widescreen, HD Support, HDD streaming, or whatnot, when played on the PS3. Nintendo is doing something similar with Twilight Princess and it is in theory being released at the same time as the Revo.

We take this moment to think of the creator of FFXII and hope that he is in good health and spirits...

The Man
Yasumi Matsuno was born in 1965 in Nigata-ken, Japan. When he was studying in university, his primary interests were in AD&D novels and music by Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of the rock band Queen. This eventually led him to write the "Ogre Battle Saga", an eight-chapter fantasy novel.

In the summer of 1989, he graduated and joined Quest to fulfill his dreams of being a game designer. The first project he worked on was the Famicom action title Matendouji, known in the US as Conquest of the Crystal Palace. During his time at Quest, they also released games like Dungeon KiD for the Famicom, Battle Ping Pong and Legend for the Game Boy and Magical Chase for the PC-Engine. While it is known that Minagawa directed Magical Chase, the credits for many of Quest's other efforts are shrouded in mystery.

As a small developer, it was difficult for Quest to gain wide recognition. That is, until Matsuno spearheaded the project that would be based on his original fantasy idea of the Ogre Battle Saga. Together with Akihiko Yoshida and Hiroshi Minagawa, two of his peers at Quest, Matsuno created the Super Famicom strategy game that would forever define Quest, as well as himself - Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen.

While doing research for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Matsuno travelled much of eastern Europe and was deeply impressed by the culture, architecture and religious aspects of the West. This would continue to influence all the scenarios and art design of the games he would work on from then on.

After creating two games in the series that Quest is most recognized for today, Matsuno left Quest together with his core team in 1995 to join Squaresoft. He went on to direct Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story on the Playstation and subsequently aided the company in setting up their online service PlayOnline. When Squaresoft and Enix Corp merged, there was an internal studio reshuffling that put Matsuno as the head of Production Developer 4, along with his core team. It was then that the company proceeded to acquire Quest's software development division and the Ogre Battle Saga franchise to place in the same department.

In Fall of 2001 Matsuno and his team began work on Final Fantasy XII for the Playstation 2, while he oversaw the production of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the Game Boy Advance (which was developed by the recently-absorbed Quest team). Final Fantasy XII would continue to be delayed for several years, until it was announced in July 2005 that the game would finally hit retail on 16 March, 2006. It was revealed that one of the reasons for the delays and silence over the project was that Matsuno had fallen very ill and was unable to continue as producer and director on the project.

Matsuno's last known public appearance is E3 in Los Angeles in May of 2004 and his current health status and whereabouts are unknown.

The Team
Together with Akihiko Yoshida, Hiroshi Minagawa and Hitoshi Sakimoto, Matsuno has made many dreams come true.

The Games
Conquest of the Crystal Palace (US) / Matendouji (JP) - Quest, 1990
Magical Chase - Quest/Palsoft, 1991
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen - Quest, 1993
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Quest, 1995
Final Fantasy Tactics - Square, 1997
Vagrant Story - Square, 2000
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Square Enix, 2003
Final Fantasy XII - Square Enix, 2006
Retrieved from http://matsunocurse.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Exploring - Gives you an idea of how large the scope of the game is, and the music and atmosphere.

taken from magic box

M a r c h 2 4 , 2 0 0 6

M U L T I

- Here are the Japanese console hardware sales for the week of Mar 13 - 19, 2006, sales of PS2 were increased by more than 2 times due to the release of Final Fantasy XII.

DS Lite - 104,452 [262,680] units
PlayStation 2 - 66,670 [380,301] units
NDS - 32,105 [581,534] units
PSP - 31,848 [484,474] units
GBA SP - 4,290 [76,872] units
GB Micro - 3,087 [47,423] units
GameCube - 1,318 [38,394] units
Xbox 360 - 1,039 [28,750] units
GBA - 131 [1,989] units
Xbox - 108 [1,066] units
- Dengeki Online reported that Square Enix's Final Fantasy XII has sold 1.817 million copies in the week of March 13 - 19, 2006. As reference Final Fantasy X-2 sold 1.543 million copies; and Final Fantasy X sold 1.832 million copies in the first week. So the estimated sales of Final Fantasy XII will reach around 2.4 - 2.5 million units in Japan.

Zenien said:
Exploring - Gives you an idea of how large the scope of the game is, and the music and atmosphere.
The worlds are coming across as impressively large. I think the behind camera angle helps to portray this much more than the fixed angles of past games have done in the past.

Good stuff.

According to Media Crate it sold 238,000 for March 20th - March 26th, pushing it over 2 million. I guss I was wrong about XII outselling X, but they seem very neck and neck, all reviewers and consumers seem to be saying XII > X by a mile.

Zenien said:
According to Media Crate it sold 238,000 for March 20th - March 26th, pushing it over 2 million. I guss I was wrong about XII outselling X, but they seem very neck and neck, all reviewers and consumers seem to be saying XII > X by a mile.
I've not even touched the game yet and I get the feeling I'm going to favour it over X. Don't get me wrong, I liked X, but it wasn't amazing. It wasn't VIII.

I think my enjoyment of XII is all going to hinge on the battle system and whether I can adjust to it well.

FF XII suffer the same fate as RE4 and Oblivion. Amazing titles that are quite perfect and are embraced by the press and by millions of gamers...yet there are always some old fans that complain about the change in gameplay and think that these games have nothing to do with their respective franchises.

Some RE sites won't even talk about RE4, many members of the ES communauty left after Oblivion and FF XII is considered a fake FF by many people. I think these guys are too afraid of change.

As for myself, I think I'll buy a PS2 plus FFXII this winter. If anything, I'll use my student loan to get a PS3 with it instead.

From what I've seen of FF12, I'm not excited about it. But I would gladly be proven wrong.

Still not feeling it. It's FFXI, without making a char, and without all the extra people on your LS. I'll pass, unless we get it at work, at which case, I'll rent.

Nice to know some people are on crack. :down

The demo was a demo with incompleteness abound.

Alright, fine, I'll throw down the guantled. Final Fantasy X is a bad game, X-2 was even worse and FFXI is a horrible MMORPG.

OMG noes you don't have random battles anymore! Play the game with Gambits turned off if it means that much to you. You can recreate the classic FF combat style easilly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"