Famke finally speaks her mind about the treatment of Phoenix in X3

Touching on Nightcrawler - his absence just goes to show how badly the script writers failed (and it is them - Kinberg and Penn - that I blame for the film, not even so much Ratner).

Their excuse was that they couldn't find a role for him. Guess what guys? You're the script writers. These are the characters you are handed. It is your JOB to find a role for the characters. If you can't accomplish that, then you aren't succeeding at your job.

While I love the movie, I will forever have negative feelings towards Kinberg and Penn as scriptwriters for how badly they missed the mark on what the movie could have, and should have been, if they didn't botch it up.

:up: Sums up my feelings perfectly Nell, he was a favourite from X2 no doubt, and they just disregarded him. Even a cameo or a line of dialogue (like they did with Myers in Hellboy II) would have surficed, just to ACKNOWLEDGE that the character still existed.

How Kinberg and Penn still get writing jobs is literally beyond me.

Wow...having read through this thread now makes me like Famke a heck of a lot more. I miss her as Jean Grey. I'm glad she spoke out so I agree with her choice of words.

Well since the tread is bumped I will add a comment.

I agree with Famkee, the phoenix storyline should have been given the time it deserved. Jean Grey may have seemed like a quiet safe supportive character in the first and second film but her Phoenix nature is important in all of X-Men history.The Phoenix story should have explored more about Jean and Cyclops. Heck I even wanted a fight scene between Cyclops and Wolverine heading to watch X3, but no the timing for this much anticipated x3 movie was wrong. The original director left, and some of the actors left as well, and in turn the story was screwed up. Ratner should have saved the Phoenix revival till the end of the movie.

Late to this. Never saw this interview... Get em Famke my girl! I think it's sad that Halle's ego had to be stroked on a film that should have had nothing to do with her. Errr X3 litterally makes my blood boil.

The sad thing is, Famke did a really good job for what little she got to do. But she could have been EPIC as a proper Phoenix.

Loved her in X1 & X2. People go on about the movies being Wolvy and friends but with Jean they were building to something fom the get go.

In X1 it was well established she was still learning to expand her powers. The look on her face when the energy bubble burst on Ellis Island perfectly portrayed that it affected her somehow. That was like an evolution of her mutancy and led to her losing control over her powers in X2 and her accension to Phoenix at the end.

It was a damn shame the final part of her arc was mishandled so.

I like Famke as an actress and she's certainly entitled to her opinion. However, I have to disagree with her; I liked TLS' take on the Phoenix character, and don't think anything they did with said character was in any way a 'waste of potential'.

^Really? You read the actual comic it was based on right? :huh:

Your entitled to your own opinion but I think that it is misguided TBH.

^ I don't read many comics; I am familiar with the general story, though.

Well I did repeatedly on numerous times in my life and seen a great adaption of it in TAS so watching it be treated the way it was in X3 I can't help but be saddened. I'm not saying everything was mishandled (Xavier vs. Jean battle was pretty cool, if missing the Phoenix effect) but it just left me an many others wanting that loved the source material.

Well I did repeatedly on numerous times in my life and seen a great adaption of it in TAS so watching it be treated the way it was in X3 I can't help but be saddened. I'm not saying everything was mishandled (Xavier vs. Jean battle was pretty cool, if missing the Phoenix effect) but it just left me an many others wanting that loved the source material.

The Phoenix saga as it was portrayed in the comics would never have translated well into the movieverse.
I liked what they did with X3's Phoenix.

Thats the oroblem wkth certain stories. They need so much previous events to have occured to get them adapted acurately on the screen.

Stories are 9/10 adapted and changed to fit the movie universe the've got to use.

As good as the comic? No, but inheritantly bad because it's not an acurate adaption? Don't be silly.

The Phoenix saga as it was portrayed in the comics would never have translated well into the movieverse.
I liked what they did with X3's Phoenix.
Who said it had to be exactly the same? They never have been. I'm saying that the blueprint could have been. Logan "taking Scotts place" was just horrible and everything about how Jean looked (squirrel eyes apparently means you are powerful:whatever:). They proved they could have a convincing Emma Frost and Sabastian Shaw with FC but they *****ed out and refused to integrate anything in the plot that was even remotely akin to the comics in X3.

Well she's right. When I was watching the character as far as development goes, it seemed like Famke was doing the best she could with the material she got. You could just tell she wanted to prolong and do more with it. The Phoenix Sage is just too well known among the comics, the least Ratner could have done was pay homage to the basic story arch of the dark phoenix and make it more true to the comics. The way Famke worded it was what I was thinking. I felt like I was watching a slap-stick version of the story more than a deeply complex and emotionally disturbed character that was unpredictable. Yet again, I know he's the favorite and we all know why but Wolverine, we all know what makes him tick. Not knocking Hugh Jackman but he could have fought for Jean to have more of a power struggle. Instead it was about so many insignificant things rather then the core heart.

Is there a reason that Wolverine didn't just stab her with a couple of cure vials instead of his claws? Seems like that would have been a happier solution.

i will never in my life see x3 again...never. after what they did with Famke's character...I lost all hope now that we will never see a proper Phoenix story. I am actually writing my own version of the phoenix story in my own way... both Jean and Scott will be the focus of the story ...because thats what the original storyline was in the comics. i got about 4 pages in a half...

Is there a reason that Wolverine didn't just stab her with a couple of cure vials instead of his claws? Seems like that would have been a happier solution.

He couldn't get near her. Any cure darts would have been disintegrated as he closer. And even if he did manage it, and stabbed her with darts instead of his claws, she'd still be unstable and schizo, she just wouldn't have her TK.

Also, when the soldiers fired a whole volley of cure darts, she just stopped them all and disintegrated them.

I love Famke for speaking out like this.

I was so disappointed with what they did to Phoenix in X3. I mean, the build up was so good already in X2. And at the beginning of X3, Jean had a nice build up. I actually liked how she lost it in the mansion and the house. The lines were there.

Unfortunately, after "killing" Prof X, Phoenix was suddenly reduced to an accessory of Magneto. Seriously? After the house scene, the Phoenix was just staring and standing beside Magneto as he waged war against humanity. Come on, the Dark Phoenix is supposed to be selfish, pleasure-seeking, and unstable. A mutant can't just "subdue" her to stand by. Man, I could feel how Famke was so frustrated as she just stood and said nothing all throughout the film.

And... no fire bird. :(

I didn't get to read the article but it sounds like she was echoing my own feelings. Last Stand isn't a terrible movie it just squandered all that build up from the last two with a stupid 'bigger explosions' plot. Phoenix being mute in the last third of the movie is just weird and robbed her of what makes the phoenix fun

Credit where it is due though, I love love love the Beast and Kitty and the final fight gives a sense that they are a team which was lacking in the previous two movies and even DoFP where it's Wolverine's fight with the others getting a tiny bit of action here and there.

yeah thats the most underrated part of x3
the final fight was pretty awesome
it was just nice to see full force Colossus, Ice man, Beast and Co work together. DOFP and FC did continue this trend with the team battles as well.

I though Jean looked a bit weird in X-3 but maybe cos she was getting old.
In 1 and 2 she was hot but I think it's time to change the old guard.
Sad when you cant last forever when you've made the character yours.
Imagine how much pressure replacing the Joker would be for example

I though Jean looked a bit weird in X-3 but maybe cos she was getting old.
In 1 and 2 she was hot but I think it's time to change the old guard.
Sad when you cant last forever when you've made the character yours.
Imagine how much pressure replacing the Joker would be for example

Famke still looks amazing, although I think they tried too hard to make her look younger in the Wolverine. She was in Taken 2 without such heavy make-up and is still stunningly beautiful. She looked weird in X3 because of the unattractive wig she had to wear and deliberate special effects to make Dark Phoenix more sinister.

Famke still looks amazing, although I think they tried too hard to make her look younger in the Wolverine. She was in Taken 2 without such heavy make-up and is still stunningly beautiful. She looked weird in X3 because of the unattractive wig she had to wear and deliberate special effects to make Dark Phoenix more sinister.
^^^^This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"