Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Thread Manager, Nov 10, 2013.

1. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Right. Like a certain other Infinity Stone. "She's misbehaving. We turn of the power she turns it back on."

2. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

That's backwards thinking. Thor is the protector of man, both in the comics and in the mythology. Of course he will always have some of his focus toward that realm. Jane is one thing the comics introduced to establish that connection.

Midgard isn't just between two realms. Look at the drawings in the movie.

3. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Also I'm pretty sure the Aether was hidden in Svartalfheim.

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bring on Thor 3!!!:D

5. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

As Thor, or perhaps it was Odin can't remember, states immediately afterwards it's not defending Jane it is defending itself. Admittedly, it could be possible but this is the sorta thing you need to explain in the movie. But they they also failed to explain that the cave could apparently block Malakeith's Aether homing sense...

6. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

I like Superhero movies so I am fine with most plot contrivances, I was okay with Jane getting infected. I just felt that the investigation of the building scene was too long.

7. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

She doesn't just stumble upon it. They are researching it and they aren't in London for no reason. When they come to the site of the anomalies she discovers a new reading, which is the Aether. It's of course an unlikely event, but if the Aether was hidden well then it would take something unlikely to find it.

The part with the portal back to Earth is what anyone that wants to talk about plot conveniences should mention, not the first one.

8. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

It was my understanding that the anomalies aren't from the Aether but from upcoming converge. But I could be wrong.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Seriously are people really that bothered by Jane finding the Aether?:dry:

10. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

lol. idk so much about bothered, but rather they thought it was a rather noticeably convenient plot device.

I personally think the motions leading up to and following Jane's contact with the Aether are completely understandable and in no way more convenient than certain other MCU plots.

11. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

They stuck with Jane and crew quite a while there. Wasn't expecting that.

It really isn't that big a deal. We are just discussing it. More about overall writing for me. The film was all over the place in that regard for me.

If you want to talk about something else, we can.

12. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

No, you are right about that. I just mean that there's a chain of events that lead there. Jane starting to study that field after Thor visited Earth, they go to London in the search, something finally happens which their equipment picks up, they go there and she gets readings from something else.

Of course you can call that stumbling upon something in one sense, but not in the meaning that it's completely random (which has been argued in the thread(s)).

13. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

Are we seriously talking about convenience in a movie being a problem?!? Guys, every freaken movie has convenient moments to advance the story. This is absolutely ridiculous. The entire Joker-gets-caught-on-purpose aspect of TDK is so unbelievably convenient it's almost laughable. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Poor T:TDW. You guys are nitpicking the most unimportant aspects of the movie and using it as a reason not to like it.

14. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm not very surprised with the 'meh' reactions. The trailers so far have been lacking any real appeal.

The first 'Thor' had a subpar script, made of half choices, where nothing seemed like it had any real weight, and where the directive from the studio/producers seemed: 'Introduce these guys quick, so we can move to the big crossover.' But then it had one saving grace: its director. Kenneth Branagh.

Branagh fully believed in the flick, despite the weak-ish script. He tried hard to give the movie personality, to flesh out the characters (as much as was possible under the circumstances), and to bring a Kirby-esque feel to the look of the movie. Kind of a novelty in fantasy cinema. And of course some people complained about the look being unusual for a fantasy flick.

Now: I can't judge further until I see the movie, but the previews for 'The Dark World' so far have done very little to impress me. Once again, the impression is that there's not much at stake, and in addition gone is the charm Branagh brought to the first pic. Out goes that, in comes a direction which looks like it's trying to be as similar as possible to the recent fantasy fare.

Call me unimpressed. Let's hope it'll be a pleasant surprise (the movie is not out yet in Italy).

15. warhorse78

warhorse78 Well-Known Member

So, those who saw it in 3D, how many of you did get the Captain America 5 minute preview? I would like to see it, but I have been reading that many people got nothing more than the CA WS trailer that's already online. So, is Disney just lying to try and get more people to see the more expensive 3D, or is there a legit 5 minute preview, or is it in just select cities?

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

@Darth and prOxy...

I didn't really think it was a big deal but I agree with Spidey, that investigation scene went on for too long. You can discuss as long as you guys want, I was just really surprised it was a writing issue for you but fair enough.:up:

17. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

Well see my problem doesn't lie with the fact that she is investigating these anomalies and portals. As you point out it make sense that she is investigating such things. It just feels very convenient that this portal leads to the Aether of all the places in the nine worlds. The chances of something like that happening are minuscule.

But it didn't really bother me. After all, this is a movie about viking gods running around with laser swords battling against evil elves hellbent on destroying the universe.

18. DarthSkywalker

You just proved jmc right. :funny:

19. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Well, to be honest, if it's the one thing that is being so acutely focused on I'd say bravo T:TDW. Could have a lot worse flaws than just some minor convenient plot devices. I don't think anyone here is saying it makes or breaks the film. Just that it's worth discussing.

I think any scene in the film that wasn't Thor getting his ass kicked by Kurse went on for too long. I want ten more minutes of just that.

20. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Calm down.:funny:

21. DarthSkywalker

I thought the escape was pretty fantastic. Loki's "line" joke, the cameo and Thor trying to start the ship. :funny:

I also like how he talked to Sif. Loki seems to know something about Sif and Thor, that Thor doesn't.

22. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

How did Loki talk to Sif? I don't remember :/

23. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Loki was being a troll during that escape scene, I loved it.:funny: he was trash talking to the point where Thor threw him out and I was dying of laughter when that happened.:lmao:

24. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

Yes, it's a very small chance but she's pretty much the one that had the biggest chance of finding it (of the people we've seen this far in the MCU) and it's a pretty common trope of the fantasy genre that these things happen.

25. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

I think he means the scene where Loki shapeshifted Thor into Sif.:funny: Darth correct me if I'm wrong. ;)