Fant4stic: Reborn! - - - - - - Part 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Uni is/was more than willing to share that (prob not now that they have Legendary to help with tentpoles) but MS still wouldn't do one. I've asked Feige twice and both times he couldn't have sounded more disinterested.
I think it is too much trouble for the effort for them. So it really is a bit of both.

The Fantastic Four shouldn't have an edge to them. That's what this film tried and that's why it failed. The Fantastic Four are inherently an idealistic and fun team. You have to sell it like it is, which is why Marvel is the best suited for the franchise. They were unashamed to market a movie about a man who speaks to ants and shrinks. Meanwhile Fox keeps trying to make FF into a less cool X-Men. And that's why general audiences aren't interested because why settle for a poor man's X-Men that has nothing unique about it?
An "edgy" FF doesn't mean it's not unique. They shouldn't be anything like the X-Men, their adventures are inherently different. It's not like X-Men have a monopoly on being "edgy".

Trying to make FF edgy is like trying to turn Cap into Batman.

RT critical consensus REACHED 4 of 47 reviews fresh.

Currently at 8.5 rounded to 9% fresh

Who could have seen this coming?

Apparently anybody who looked---except few thought it could as bad as it seemed.

I really hope that Fox sells this back to Marvel. I'm ok with the X titles staying there, but the FF need to come home.

I think it is too much trouble for the effort for them. So it really is a bit of both.

Sure. Why would they drop $200 mil on a movie that history shows prob won't work when they can keep doing what has been proven to work. Low risk, high reward. But Fox doesn't have that foresight. We're up to our eighth X-Men movie and still no mention of any other team they have rights to when they could have easily dropped FF, Aloha Flight, Excaliber, etc, etc references in to test the waters for future projects. They're still in late 90s/early 00s superhero movie making mode: ride the stylistic coattails of other popular movies and throw superpowers into the mix.

Actually....it's a rights issue....Marvel/Disney has the rights to have the Hulk in it's movie....but he can't be the lead......Universal has that right.

As I understand it (I could be wrong) Marvel does have the Hulks movie rights, but not the distribution rights. Universal kept that as part of the deal (TIH was a Marvel Studios film, financed by them under the old loan deal, and distributed by Universal).

Bear in mind that deal was done before the Disney buyout when MS themselves didn't have any distribution arm anyway (they were using Paramount up to CA:First Avenger and Disney's own arm thereafter iirc).

The question is whether UNI has those distribution rights indefinitely, or is it for so many films, or is it time sensitive, but Disney do not want to make a Hulk solo film atm because Universal (a direct competitor) would be the distributor.

The Fantastic Four shouldn't have an edge to them. That's what this film tried and that's why it failed. The Fantastic Four are inherently an idealistic and fun team. You have to sell it like it is, which is why Marvel is the best suited for the franchise. They were unashamed to market a movie about a man who speaks to ants and shrinks. Meanwhile Fox keeps trying to make FF into a less cool X-Men. And that's why general audiences aren't interested because why settle for a poor man's X-Men that has nothing unique about it?

An "edgy" FF doesn't mean it's not unique. They shouldn't be anything like the X-Men, their adventures are inherently different. It's not like X-Men have a monopoly on being "edgy".

Trying to make FF edgy is like trying to turn Cap into Batman.

I never said that they had to make them edgy, but I did point out that edgy tends to sell better.

My question is what would make the FF more relatable/interesting to modern audiences?

Both Fraction and Robinson's runs have had the team falling apart.

If you have to keep breaking the team up to introduce intrigue, then clearly you're not trying hard enough.

If you constantly have to have Reed and Sue split to get some drama, you're not trying hard enough.

If you consistently let Ben be the Ziggy of the Marvel Universe, you're not trying hard enough.

If Johnny jumps from relationship to relationship, and never settles into a more focused 'career', you're not trying hard enough.

If the kids remain under 10, while the rest of the Marvel Universe 'grows up', you're not trying hard enough.

If Franklin remains the 'human reset button', you're not trying hard enough.

Sure. Why would they drop $200 mil on a movie that history shows prob won't work when they can keep doing what has been proven to work. Low risk, high reward. But Fox doesn't have that foresight. We're up to our eighth X-Men movie and still no mention of any other team they have rights to when they could have easily dropped FF, Aloha Flight, Excaliber, etc, etc references in to test the waters for future projects. They're still in late 90s/early 00s superhero movie making mode: ride the stylistic coattails of other popular movies and throw superpowers into the mix.

I wonder how many of these people got their start under Rothman? It feels like he still has minions there carrying out his will.

Here's the thing.

Does Fox even care?

They saw this coming for over a year and half and did nothing really. At least when Marvel saw signs of trouble with Thor 2, they tried their hardest to fix it because Thor is a huge piece of their puzzle. Fantastic Four for Fox? Not really.

8% on rottentomatoes...

tumblr_nqfue4l7F01tc595go1_500.gif

That score means nothing if the movie still somehow makes money. The last Turtles Movie sits at 21% and is sadly still getting a sequel.

Ninja Turtles are HOT with little kids though. They have a cartoon show and every boy loves ninja turtles. So it made money there.

No kid ever..EVER talks about the Fantastic Four these days.

Here's the thing.

Does Fox even care?

They saw this coming for over a year and half and did nothing really.

They care only in the case that it was a rights grab. They had to finish production lest risk losing their toys. The same was true of Spider-man, which is why TASM was rushed out after Raimi's SM4 was scrapped.

They are probably hoping now Marvel comes back with an agreement similar to Sony. No way in hell are they making a sequel off of this ****, and the actors probably don't want anything to do with the franchise again.

Where's that gif from, Zeus? Looks like it's a little known indie film.

There is hope if Daredevil's rights went back to Marvel that the Fantastic Four's right go back to Marvel too.

Especially after this debacle.

The powerplay is with Silver Surfer and Galactus. Honestly, I also want a proper F4 film made with the Surfer before Stan Lee bids us all farewell as he is in his mid 90's now.

Come on Fox.

Where's that gif from, Zeus? Looks like it's a little known indie film.

I believe it was the fan made indie horror sequel to Stephen King's IT

Someone tried to modernize the clown, Pennywise

Damn, color me disappointed with these reviews. I was one of those people who was open to this and optimistic. These reviews are terrible. The film had such a good cast too. I'll still see this, but through what means, I have no idea.

Tobey Kebbel just gave an interview I read at the "unmentionable site" where he admits they changed his name to Doom after the fans complained.

So YES, he WAS Domashev, the blogger---it wasn't just a rumor or in early drafts.

then the poor sad fool started talking about how Doom would be in the SEQUEL. :loco:

No, but many people already don't understand what makes the Fantastic Four special. They are viewed as a generic superhero team that isn't anywhere near as cool as the X-Men. If you try to dilute the elements that make the FF special in order to try to appeal to edgier modern tastes, that image will only be further developed. The FF trying to be cool and hip is like your grandpa trying to be cool. No one's going to buy it and it just seems weird. The FF's charm is in it's fun silver age origins and the FF isn't going to stand out amongst the sea of superhero films unless it embraces that.

This movie doesn't look "dark" or "gritty" like they wanted. It looks DEPRESSING.

Tobey Kebbel just gave an interview I read at the "unmentionable site" where he admits they changed his name to Doom after the fans complained.

So YES, he WAS Domashev, the blogger---it wasn't just a rumor or in early drafts.

then the poor sad fool started talking about how Doom would be in the SEQUEL. :loco:

The interview is with Collider. CBM just reposts stuff.

The interview must have been recorded sometime earlier, before they knew the reaction. I don't get from that interview that he believes that. Seems more like a wish/suggestion on his part. I feel sorry for Kebbel. He comes across like a nice guy.

The interview is with Collider. CBM just reposts stuff.

The interview must have been recorded sometime earlier, before they knew the reaction. I don't get from that interview that he believes that. Seems more like a wish/suggestion on his part. I feel sorry for Kebbel. He comes across like a nice guy.

I feel bad for the whole cast. Jordan had to deal with the race ******** since the very beginning, Mara got dealt those two hick radio assclowns, poor Jamie Bell just looks like he wants a rock to hide under until all this blows over, Kebbel got screwed out of playing Marvel's premier villain and will always carry the Domashev taint, and Teller... well ok after that Esquire piece I'm not sure I feel sorry for him at all. Whatevs.

As I understand it (I could be wrong) Marvel does have the Hulks movie rights, but not the distribution rights. Universal kept that as part of the deal (TIH was a Marvel Studios film, financed by them under the old loan deal, and distributed by Universal).

Bear in mind that deal was done before the Disney buyout when MS themselves didn't have any distribution arm anyway (they were using Paramount up to CA:First Avenger and Disney's own arm thereafter iirc).

The question is whether UNI has those distribution rights indefinitely, or is it for so many films, or is it time sensitive, but Disney do not want to make a Hulk solo film atm because Universal (a direct competitor) would be the distributor.

Pretty sure the rights are pretty much forever, Universal apparently made quite a deal to make that TV show

Of course, which is why MS hasn't tried making another solo Hulk movie. His story on its own just doesn't seem to appeal to people. If Fox were smart they would have done the same with FF and reintroduced them as minor characters in an X movie and see what their reception would be there. IMO the FF have Superman-esque fatigue. They're the boy/girl scouts of Marvel teams. This new movie feels very much like a Man of Steel inspired grimdark job, just on a cheaper budget. IMO they should have gone the GOTG route instead.

that's actually not the reason marvel hasn't done a hulk sequel... it's because universal still has distribution rights... they don't want Universal to make any money off the property... a hulk solo would do well now i think

I feel bad for the whole cast. Jordan had to deal with the race ******** since the very beginning, Mara got dealt those two hick radio assclowns, poor Jamie Bell just looks like he wants a rock to hide under until all this blows over, Kebbel got screwed out of playing Marvel's premier villain and will always carry the Domashev taint, and Teller... well ok after that Esquire piece I'm not sure I feel sorry for him at all. Whatevs.

Within the fan community I'm sure those tags will have some staying power, but the public could probably find the F4 forgettable. All of them have potential for more, so I think audiences could overlook this movie and give them a chance in future. Whether they do another comicbook role is another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"