Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Hmm I'm ready for these Fantastic Beasts films to end. I'd like to see more stories in the Wizarding World, not just with the cast of Fantastic Beasts.

Having thought long and hard about it, I’ve come to the conclusion that, while I initially defended FB2 with every bone in my body, I really dislike the movie for wasting so much potential. That said, I think FB3 can be a far better movie (even a great one). I hope so, anyway. I’ve got a lot of theories - but then again, I had a lot of theories about FB2 and instead we got a messy, cluttered spiderweb of a movie with no focus or themes, about ten thousand subplots but no actual plot, and gigantic gaping holes in the story structure, so what do I know? :funny:

Are they still getting David Yates as the director? This franchise needs new half-blood!

I can't say I'm much of a fan of this series. The first two movies just didn't grab me, and while I'm sure I will end up watching the next movie at some point, I cannot say I eagerly anticipated or anything. I just kind of think these movies are lifeless and uninteresting. Which is a shame because I love the Harry Potter films

Yeah for me they completely squandered this series.
For the life of me I don't know:
1) Why they didn't divide it into 2 series. A Fantastic Beasts series and a Crimes of Grindelwald/Young Dumbledore series
2) Why they kept David Yates. I mean I get he brought them success but why not have someone new for a new series?
3) Why did they make the films so boring.

IF they can bounce back? Then cool. I love HP. But I don't think they can.

Last edited:
I have no idea why Yates is still their go-to guy. I just don’t think his style is that interesting that he warrants being kept on to direct all the FB movies.

I guess they got too comfortable with him? Plus, Newt and the other characters from these two films just felt bland. I felt like JK Rowling lost her magic when she created the characters /writed them into these films. I don't even care about the young Dumbledore and I just find Grindlewald so boring and generic. I don't care about the human Nagini as well.

They should have just turned this to something like Pokemon, as the magical creatures are far more interesting than the humans.

I have no idea why Yates is still their go-to guy. I just don’t think his style is that interesting that he warrants being kept on to direct all the FB movies.

Rowling and Yates have been working on Wizarding World films since 2006. She's probably very comfortable with him.

I think Yates is a bland director. Too often there seems to be lack of energy from his actors, his film's art design tends to be uninspiring and mundane, and aside from HBP his cinematography is bland bordering on ugly. I especially hated what he did to Hogwarts. He pretty much reduced Hogwarts to a monochromatic all stone structure lacking any sort of quirky personality.

Just make a goddamn show about the four founders. A BBC and HBO collabo.

Rowling and Yates have been working on Wizarding World films since 2006. She's probably very comfortable with him.

I think Yates is a bland director. Too often there seems to be lack of energy from his actors, his film's art design tends to be uninspiring and mundane, and aside from HBP his cinematography is bland bordering on ugly. I especially hated what he did to Hogwarts. He pretty much reduced Hogwarts to a monochromatic all stone structure lacking any sort of quirky personality.

I think HBP is his ugliest looking HP film. I will always remember it as the "green" one due to how obnoxiously green the color pallete was for the film.

OOTP and DH are much prettier films to look at.

‘Fantastic Beasts 3′ Moving Forward With Spring 2020 Start, Jessica Williams’ ‘Lally’ Character To Play Pivotal Part In Brazil-Set Threequel

Warner Bros. has greenlit the third Fantastic Beasts movie and is moving forward with production this spring in 2020. While the regular cast is returning, we hear that comedian and actor Jessica Williams, who was featured briefly in part 2’s Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, will have a bigger role this time around with her character, Professor Eulalie “Lally” Hicks, a teacher at Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the American equivalent of Hogwarts.

Set to return are Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, Jude Law as Albus Dumbledore and Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindelwald along with Ezra Miller (Credence / Aurelius Dumbledore), Alison Sudol (Queenie Goldstein), Dan Fogler (Jacob Kowalski) and Katherine Waterston (Tina Goldstein).

David Yates is directing reteaming with producers David Heyman, J.K. Rowling, Steve Kloves, Lionel Wigram and Tim Lewis, along with executive producers Neil Blair, Danny Cohen, Josh Berger and Courtenay Valenti. The screenplay will be written by J.K. Rowling and Steve Kloves.

I do wonder if Heyman and Rowling are resistant to have major shakeups. bringing in a co-writer was needed but they’ve gone with a safe choice in Kloves and stuck with Yates yet again

I think HBP is his ugliest looking HP film. I will always remember it as the "green" one due to how obnoxiously green the color pallete was for the film.
Whatever happened to the colors lmao! I think the film only had colors when they were in that potion shop... but majority of the film just looked so drab.
Just make a goddamn show about the four founders. A BBC and HBO collabo.
Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hupplepuff and Ravenclaw? That's exactly what I want for a Harry Potter prequel/spin off. However, I don't want a tv show as it would just be restricted in scale/production valuesm

Crimes of Grindelwald was such a massive disappointment and Kloves coming in to help write is never a good thing.

I think it’s necessary that Jo have a place on the writing team since this is strictly her work - she’s the only one who knows how the whole thing has to end. It’s not the same as simply adapting a book: this is adapting an author’s vision. The author needs to be involved in that process. However, she should also not try to write the film alone: that is (and was) a recipe for disaster.

Well, technically she can pull a George Lucas and hire a Lawrence Kasdan to put her story ideas in screenplay format ala Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi.

Rowling needs someone to co-write.

She did. She's great at writing novels, but FB2 made it clear she was well over her head with writing screenplays.

It's a major blow in confidence with Rowling, but she has a good rapport with Kloves going all the way back to 2000.

I just wish they would ditch Yates completely, but Rowling would veto that.

OOTP and DH are much prettier films to look at.
The only green scenes in HBP are the penseive scenes and the cave scene. Tho the cave scene in the UHD was actually reduced to black and white. Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography has colors, but there is a sepia tone to the film which makes the colors dark.

The excessive pink in OOTP's cinematography (they actually made the walls of Hogwarts shift more pink as Umbridge's control increases) kills it for me.

She did. She's great at writing novels, but FB2 made it clear she was well over her head with writing screenplays.

It's a major blow in confidence with Rowling, but she has a good rapport with Kloves going all the way back to 2000.

I just wish they would ditch Yates completely, but Rowling would veto that.
Yeah shes used to having hundreds of pages and character's internal thoughts to develop her stories.

Last edited:
Yeah shes used to having hundreds of pages and character's internal thoughts to develop her stories.

I don’t write as much as she does, but screenplays are more difficult on a technical level. You have to specify shots, simplify things and use technical jargon.

For me, it was difficult to write a play or screenplay because I was used to short form narrative storytelling. To make that jump to screenwriting a big tent pole film is a massive challenge for any writer.

I don’t write as much as she does, but screenplays are more difficult on a technical level. You have to specify shots, simplify things and use technical jargon.

For me, it was difficult to write a play or screenplay because I was used to short form narrative storytelling. To make that jump to screenwriting a big tent pole film is a massive challenge for any writer.
Yeah I remember when I made the jump, it was quite a challenge to get used to the format and requirements a screenplay needs. It’s a little bit easier when you plan on directing your script, but so much is lost in how you describe things.

Crimes showed not only highlighted Rowling’s inexperience but also a lot of her worst habits as a writer, so I’m fine with Kloves returning. Having worked with Rowling before he’ll hopefully be able to balance out the areas she lacks. That gives me a little more confidence in the film.

Also, I’m in agreement with everyone else that it would’ve been really nice to get a new director. This will be number 7 from Yates. A new vision would’ve been so nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"