Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

For those who were wondering about the hints dropped a couple of issues back about Franklin Richards’ great secret, FANTASTIC FOUR #18 will tell you everything that you need to know! I’ve already seen a few people misinterpret this from the previews (and perhaps their own wishful thinking) so let me set the record straight once again: Franklin, still not a mutant. Anyway, Ryan North and Carlos Gomez will tell and show you more this week.

David Baroldy

Speaking of Dan Slott’s FF run, can you please share some insight into the changes made to Franklin? Did the idea to reveal that he was never a mutant come from Dan, you or somewhere further up the chain? Why did you think it was the right thing to do?
While the change didn’t mean a lot to me, I wasn’t surprised that it was relatively controversial. This IS comic books, after all. I was surprised, and disappointed, to see people using it to paint Dan as some kind of bigot.
My memory of this, David, is that it’s something that we came up with together, though it’s quite likely that I was the one who suggested it when the question came up. And that’s likely a reflection of when I started reading the books. You see, for the first decade-plus of his existence as a character, Franklin wasn’t ever referred to as a mutant at all. Rather, his powers were clearly a result of his parents having been altered by cosmic rays (plus the additional factor of the energy from Annihilus’ Cosmic Control Rod that was necessary to ensure a safe birthing process.) Consequently, Franklin’s powers manifested almost immediately, whereas mutants (at least up to that point) typically began to display their powers in puberty. It wasn’t until the “Days of Future Past” storyline in UNCANNY X-MEN where an older Franklin was among the survivors in the dystopian future that people began to consider him a mutant. Thanks to its popularity, X-MEN tends to swallow up a lot of unrelated characters and concepts—Longshot and his cast, Captain Britain and his cast, etc. But especially with the rise of Krakoa and the change in the status of mutants worldwide, that presented some challenges to us on the Fantastic Four front. Specifically, we didn’t think it made sense for Franklin to relocate to Krakoa, nor for him to be exempt from the laws of regular humans in the way the assorted X-Men characters were. So when the opportunity presented itself to separate church and state came up, we took it. I didn’t really view it as anything other that reasserting the original status quo, but clearly some readers of a more recent vintage assigned it greater importance than that. But as I said at the start, that’s kind of the luck of the draw. Somebody’s got to wear the black hat, after all.

Blue/red costumes?

Yeah, considering nearly every major character in the MCU has red in their costume, let’s not force it on the FF too.😬
The red suits are from "The Fall Of The Fantastic Four" storyline but the FF didn't have them for long. Every other month MFF adds new suits that changes a character's kit and animations.
No, she's just wicked smaht like her old man and her Unky Doom. Traditionally big brother Franklin has been a mutant but that may have been retconned in the X-Men Krakoa comics.

Nope. He just has his powers back, but Breevort later clarified that he still isn't a mutant.
Yeah it carried over, I checked the patch notes and Franklin is listed as human. Putting it in spoiler cause it's a long page:

MFFFR.jpg

Last edited:
Valeria is a mutant right?
Valeria is non-enhanced, but she possesses a genius-level intellect like her dad. Franklin's no longer considered a mutant, however, he's an exceptionally powerful being capable of reshaping the boundaries and laws of time and space (even on a cosmic scale). He can do almost anything.

Nope. He just has his powers back, but Breevort later clarified that he still isn't a mutant.
Breevort also thinks Hickman wasn't trying to make Jean/Scott/Logan a throple and that there was nothing on the pages to indicate that. So yeah even as an editor, I don't tend to take his thoughts on matters seriously.

Breevort also thinks Hickman wasn't trying to make Jean/Scott/Logan a throple and that there was nothing on the pages to indicate that. So yeah even as an editor, I don't tend to take his thoughts on matters seriously.
Even if I don't always agree with him (and believe me, I don't lol), Breevort has tremendous influence at Marvel; he serves as Senior VP of Publishing in addition to holding several Executive Editor positions. FYI, Hickman initially wanted to use Adult Franklin and Adult Valeria in his Avengers run, but Breevort QUITE LITERALLY forbade him to do so. And when Hickman more recently wanted to use Franklin in his X-Men relaunch, Breevort got in his way again by having Dan Slott retcon the character's status as a mutant.

Fantastic Four #18 merely reveals that Franklin's powers are still active, the reason being that he subconsciously hid them from himself and others. However, this is not a retcon of his non-mutant status, but rather a retcon of Slott's depowering of the character (although Slott himself previously hinted that Franklin was repressing his powers).

Bottom line: Even if Ryan North, the current writer for FF, were to firmly declare that Franklin is a mutant once more, he could only do so with Breevort's approval.

It's really bad when only things to discuss are something just being reminded is filming in a month and news about a guy who didnt get cast lol! Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for topics aren't we?

Even if I don't always agree with him (and believe me, I don't lol), Breevort has tremendous influence at Marvel; he serves as Senior VP of Publishing in addition to holding several Executive Editor positions. FYI, Hickman initially wanted to use Adult Franklin and Adult Valeria in his Avengers run, but Breevort QUITE LITERALLY forbade him to do so. And when Hickman more recently wanted to use Franklin in his X-Men relaunch, Breevort got in his way again by having Dan Slott retcon the character's status as a mutant.

Fantastic Four #18 merely reveals that Franklin's powers are still active, the reason being that he subconsciously hid them from himself and others. However, this is not a retcon of his non-mutant status, but rather a retcon of Slott's depowering of the character (although Slott himself previously hinted that Franklin was repressing his powers).

Bottom line: Even if Ryan North, the current writer for FF, were to firmly declare that Franklin is a mutant once more, he could only do so with Breevort's approval.
I get all that, I just don't have a high opinion of the man lol

It's really bad when only things to discuss are something just being reminded is filming in a month and news about a guy who didnt get cast lol! Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for topics aren't we?
It's better than the past three years of wondering. I'm looking forward to the announcements ramping up soon and throughout filming.
Plus Sdcc this year should be fun.

It's better than the past three years of wondering. I'm looking forward to the announcements ramping up soon and throughout filming.
Plus Sdcc this year should be fun.

Yeah, it’s like we’re at the starting line just waiting for the starter’s pistol.

SDCC and/or the start of filming will act as that starter pistol, and then we should have plenty to talk about right up until release.

I see it as appetizers before the main course. :hehe:

Ebon Moss-Bachrach is on Seth Meyers tonight. They are likely to talk a little about the FF film seeing as it's filming next month

I am cautiously optimistic about the whole thing...but I do hope between Comic Con and D23, we will get some additional stuff about the production...maybe also who is going to play Doom...if the rumors are true and he is the mid/post credit scene, then that is exciting as well...Doom obsession aside, I desperately want to be able to look over at my friends who go with me and say, "Now THAT was the Fantastic 4 done right, Galactus done right, etc"

Ebon Moss-Bachrach is on Seth Meyers tonight. They are likely to talk a little about the FF film seeing as it's filming next month
If I had to guess, if it came up at all, it might've been more about The Bear's third season premiering.

Oh I didn't know he is in the new Quiet Place movie. I don't think I have seen him in anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"