Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by flickchick85, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Detective Conan Registered

I get Krasinski is playing the role as a cute nod to popular fan cast online but wouldn’t it be more appropriately meta if he was just cast as a Captain America variant as a sort of nod to him being up for the role once upon a time ago? Why cast him as a alternate dimension version of a character many fans want him as?

#576 Detective Conan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Dr. Evil Registered

It comes from a questionable source, so why are you believing this questionable source?

it's rumor, that's all it is. Don't believe it.

metaphysician and Stark Bauer like this.
  3. Detective Conan Registered

I wouldn’t say this is “questionable source” as this person has a really good track record as far as reliable scoops is concerned and has been backed up by ViewerAnon & KC Walsh(who was the first to break that Molina was in NWH). I would never post a questionable source that at least didn’t have a record of proven scoops or else I would’ve posted stuff from We.Got.This.Covered. or CosmicBookNews, or even these toxic incel you tube videos that report fake stuff like Kathleen Kennedy being fired from Star Wars.

Now whether you believe or not, that’s up to you. I think its possible.

#578 Detective Conan, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. Dr. Evil Registered

I will only believe it if it comes from the major trades, the actors or people involved in the project themselves or Kevin Feige and Marvel....or there are clues hinting to the rumors these "sources" leak are true. Example of the latter is when all of these sources leak that Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire were going to be in No Way Home. I thought there was a decent chance they show up because of Alfred Molina and Jamie Foxx confirmed for NWH as Doc Ock and Electro respectively because it would not have made any sense to have them in the film but not their Spider-Men but I wasn't 100% about it (more like 60% chance I thought Tobey and Andrew were going to be in it). I was more skeptical about Matt Murdock being in it until John Campea's leaked photos. Right now I am skeptical that Krasinski is in Multiverse of Madness as a variant of Reed Richards. It's at 5% right now that he's in the film for me.

Also just because Krasinski is a variant of Reed in Dr. Strange 2 (if he is in it) doesn't mean he won't be Reed in the prime MCU (if he is). Remember, Tom Hiddleston has played several versions of Loki and there's a second Dr. Strange seen in the trailer played by Cumberbatch himself.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  5. Detective Conan Registered

Yeah, you’re free to believe what you wanna believe. As stated before these rumors come from someone with a good track record who months before has even described scenes from movies like NWH before released. That being said, scoopers, even the most reliable ones can be wrong and there’s still a chance this doesn’t turn out to happen but I don’t think we should automatically dismiss the possibility of it being true. I’d say this has a very high chance of turning out true.

Frodo and Stark Bauer like this.
  6. Detective Conan Registered

7. Dr. Evil Registered

That's confusing

8. Detective Conan Registered

9. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

whoever it is. i am glad we might be seeing reed finally in the MCU

10. Detective Conan Registered

Campea claims he also heard John Krasinski is in Doctor Strange 2 as Reed Richards.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  11. Fluedd Registered

Bringing up the idea again of Fiege not sticking to the source material, reports are that Ms. Marvel is going to have a whole new set of powers compared to the ones she has in the comics. I suppose there might be some concerns that her comic book powers look too similar to Mr. Fantastic's. But things like this still make me nervous about how they're going to depict the Fantastic Four.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  12. Marvel united Omega level Mutant

I just hope that during the casting process, Marvel Studios doesn't forget that Victor Von Doom is a POC (Romani), with a story that is as resonant and relevant today as Erik Killmonger & even Magneto:

IMG_20220119_184001.jpg
    IMG_20220119_184008.jpg
    (From 'Books Of Doom')

It is slightly disturbing (but hardly surprising) to see how many people are willing to whitewash this character's history, given the fact that the Roma are one of the most persecuted minorities in Eastern Europe

(A brief summary of the injustices facing Romani communities today)

I understand that finding a Romani actor may be difficult, but that's no excuse to whitewash the character. They can easily cast a South Asian actor in the role e.g. Dev Patel, and be genealogically close to most Romani people today.

They have options

13. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

European people are POC? I am not saying the Romani people have not suffered immensely. History should be preserved and learned from so that we do not repeat the same mistakes. Culture should also be preserved.

But I think we would be better as a species to stop focusing so much on superficial things like skin colour for example and focus more on the cultural values (such as the treating others with dignity and respect) that bind us all together.

#588 Stark Bauer, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Fluedd likes this.
  14. Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Then you agree that Marvel Studios has a responsibility to shine a light on this oppression that much of the world has turned a blind eye to, yes? With perhaps the most important Romani character in all of comics; The most important villain in the Marvel Universe.

I want people to leave that theater rethinking how they view the world, and through what lense. Doom should have a point as resonant and powerful as Erik Killmonger and Magneto.
    Too bad the world doesn't work this way. Pretending that oppression doesn't exist, doesn't make it go away.

Stark Bauer and Crimz like this.
  15. Fluedd Registered

I wouldn't say it's their responsibility. Their job is to make entertaining movies. If they can make such a point within the scope of the movie without making it look like it was jammed in there to make a political point, that's great. As you said, they did a nice job with Magneto. I don't see why they couldn't make it work just as well with Doom. I remember reading the comic that you posted above, it's always stuck with me, it's a powerful piece of storytelling.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  16. Detective Conan Registered

there are non-white groups in Europe. Particularly in Britain and France, and of course the Romani’s aren’t white. I mean you have British black, Arab, South Asian people that do exist, and even post on this very forum you visit.

I agree with what you’re saying in principle but this could be prove problematic when it comes to casting and representation. By that very logic a casting director or just a director could simply justify casting someone like Emma Stone in an Asian role using what you just said about stop focusing on skin color. The color of skin is superficial, yes, but representation and casting authentically is not. All @Marvel united is asking for is authenticity to the source material, which I think is a good idea as touching upon Doom’s past as a Romani person and the oppression he faced is something fresh and new for that character that we’ve never seen done before in the movies. He could show that character in a whole new light for general audiences and make him a much more richer character than we’ve seen in the past. I’d be all for it except that I’m not sure if there’s that many Roma actors who’d qualify as that’s a very small population, and there’s just not many actors who immediately come to mind that could do it.

#591 Detective Conan, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    metaphysician and Marvel united like this.
  17. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

I agree with you, but it doesnt necessarily mean they need to cast a person of Romani descent. As long as they portray what their history/their culture in a respectful way.

18. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

I agree with you on authenticity to source material.

i respectfully disagree. there are is only one race. the human race. out of which three sons came from Noah that represent the three variations of our species, The "whites" or Europeans, Middle-Eastern, and Indian peoples, Africans, and Asians (yellow). If you see pictures of European people before immigration, before the 20th century maybe, most of their population was homogenous, very little diversity. I think lumping all Europe as white or all Africa as black is problematic and disrespectful though and is probably a topic for another forum lol,

19. Detective Conan Registered

I think you’re muddling the point. The point was there was non-white people in Europe. Whether there was a huge surplus of them or not prior to immigration is irrelevant. The fact is they existed, in particular the Roma people existed as a oppressed minority in Europe for ages by the time Doom was created in 1962 so Marvel United’s whole point was casting based on that, and perhaps explore the character’s comic book ethnicity/history of oppression & the harsh conditions of being born and raised as a Romani to enrich the Doom character and make his turn to villainy more complex and believable. That’s all.

#594 Detective Conan, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Stark Bauer and Marvel united like this.
  20. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i agree with everything you wrote here - except that Romani ppl are white. Who determines what is white/black/yellow? The Aryan race? The WASPs? to give you an outside perspective to POC most anyone who isnt black or yellow is considered white. i am not saying thats right but that is usually the case

#595 Stark Bauer, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  21. Detective Conan Registered

Does these folks look like white people to you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Fluedd Registered

23. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I don’t think Marvel has any obligation to fix or even address racial injustice in the world.

But Stan and Jack were Jews during the Holocaust and they knew “gypsies” were an oppressed group who were also targeted by the Nazis.

And they understood dictators often come from poor and oppressed social groups.

So in my opinion, they need to keep that element of Doom’s heritage. Not to right any wrongs but because that’s who he is and it’s important to his story.

I mean, if we’re really overly concerned with “fixing” racial injustice we should probably not cast a Romani as the biggest villain in the Universe, but I don’t think obsession with racial justice should get in the way of telling a good story or being faithful to the comics.

#598 Willie Lumpkin, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Stark Bauer likes this.
  24. Marvel united Omega level Mutant

They absolutely do when It concerns a character whose origins are rooted in such. It's adaptation 101. That's like saying Marvel Studios doesn't have a responsibility to address the issues in the Black community ww, or address colonialism, or nationalism, or any other theme that's been central to the franchise since the beginning

If you're taking on a character or a franchise, you absolutely have a responsibility to tell their story right.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here. You say this as if these are two mutually exclusive concepts, as if a story can't be good, and ALSO, have a racial component. As if numerous comics, films, books, and TV shows don't disprove such a silly implication. As if some of the best modern works of fiction AREN'T rooted in some sort of racial and/or social/cultural narrative; the MCU itself starting to lean more towards that lense with attributed characters.

But I have a feeling you know all of this already :O

Stark Bauer likes this.
  25. Crimz Registered

My question is why is it bad to suggest that Reed, Sue, and Johnny don't need to be white. But it's OK to have Doom not be Romani, when his race/ethnicity is integral to his story while the others aren't?
    If you guys want things to be true to how Lee/Kirby envisioned the property and how you read it in comics, then Doom's Romani heritage should be just as important - and honestly even more so- to maintain when translating to film.