Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by flickchick85, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Detective Conan Registered

Flash Gordon got nothing on Star Wars, and while it was popular it was never this pop culture juggernaut that made billions of dollars like Star Wars was. Its primary legacy is as relatively popular Saturday morning serial that kids at time like George Lucas grew up watching. It’s influence on action adventure cannot be denied, but let’s not pretend its popularity even in its heyday was anywhere near Star Wars, lol.

2. Crimz Registered

I have no idea what Flash Gordon even is...
    It's definitely not a cultural icon, and likely just something that was popular of it's time.
    While the FF have influenced the comic book genre in a big way, they aren't as popular or iconic as they once were. That can't be argued. The fact is that the FF fanbase is incredibly small and Marvel is not going to cater to it over general audiences. Jon Watts seems to want his casts to be more diverse so I can see some of the FF being changed.

3. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

What's Star Wars?

4. Detective Conan Registered

“Accuracy” can mean more than just casting the same race. faithfulness to the spirit to the character matter far more, especially with character’s that have never been defined as white. Your Miles example is a false equivalency. Miles Morales isn’t a race neutral character like most of the F4 cast is.

Sure, but they can stay faithful to the characters without necessarily having an all white team, which was always a byproduct of the era the characters were created in. If the F4 were being created now, I suspect they would not be an all-white team. And I think when Watts, Feige, and Finn, they likely would ask themselves if the F4 were created in the 2020’s as opposed to when they were created in 1961? I think Marvel’s casting will inevitably be more diverse in its makeup. Just a hunch.

According to whom?

#629 Detective Conan, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  5. Fluedd Registered

You seem to be approaching this from a social justice viewpoint, but I just want to see a faithful adaptation. And I don't buy that every POC character is created to serve as representation. Why can't a character just be a POC? I also object to the idea that every time a character is ethnic, that is essential to their character, but that every time a character is white, that's completely meaningless and cultureless.

Seriously, I get put off if the uniforms don't look right. I just look at it this way: Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Professor X, Wolverine, all these characters looked like they stepped off the pages of the comic books. Why should Iron Man fans get that but not fans of the Fantastic Four?

You want diversity? Relax, there's more coming. Why does the Fantastic Four have to be messed with? If I was a SJW I'd be more upset that they're making fundamental changes to the Ms. Marvel character. And I still don't understand why they changed the 10 rings - if Shang-Chi was my favorite comic, I'd be upset about that.

6. Detective Conan Registered

I mean, I would argue there are some white characters that you would probably be better off if left alone. But specifically in the case of Reed. Is there anything about him that’s intrinsically white? What is about him that specially demands he’d only be played by a white person?

I think you could still have a faithful adaption of the F4 while diversifying the team. It hardly would be the most sacrilegious deviation from the source material, imo.
    I mean to me, there’s very cases when an actor cast in a comic book role looks like the “stepped out of the comic book pages” other being cast the same race as comic characters as these characters have been drawn various different ways throughout by different artists throughout the years.

See, no offense, but I kind of chuckle with your unironic usage of the term “SJW.” Now, this isn’t a slight against you but I just find it amusing. I mean I’m not really the guy who’s particularly demanding the F4 be race-swapped. I’m more indifferent than anything else. If they keep them all white(which is unlikely, imo) then I’m good, if they diversify it then I’m also good, but I really push back against this idea that Marvel going in either direction with the casting racially would be affect the quality of the adaption. You can still have a good adaption of the F4 with a diverse cast. Reed, Sue, Johnny doesn’t need to be white in order to be faithful depictions of the characters onscreen.

#631 Detective Conan, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  7. Zarex Registered

For all those concerned that Feige and his team will be overcome by wokeness and brainwashed into supporting white replacement in his First Family casting - when have they done it before? Heimdall, Valkyrie, Mordo, Ghost, Charlie 27, Makkari and a handful of others were all portrayed by actors with a smidge more melanin than their comic book counterparts. But few would have a problem with those casting choices.

If Feige casts black Reed, mixed race Storm siblings and Jewish Ben I have to assume with his track record that those are the best possible choices for those characters. Slap some decent costumes on them - No springs and vents! - put some grey on Reed's temples and highlights in Sue and Johnny's hair and actual fans shouldn't have a problem with the cast.

nogolf33 and Frodo like this.
  8. Fluedd Registered

Look, no one's saying the world is going to end if Reed Richards is black or whatever. But if you're asking me as a fan what I want to see, I want to see an actor that looks like the comic book character. That's really the end of it. We've seen several posters here pick an actor and comment that they think he "looks like Reed" or whatever. It's part of it, if you are interested in the fans of the source material.

9. Detective Conan Registered

I respect that, if that’s important to you then I really can’t say anything to sway your mind. All I say is that aI don’t need an actor to “look” like the character to meet my criteria of what is a good adaption. To me, great acting and writing is much more important to me when it comes to characters that I consider race neutral like a Reed, Sue or Johnny. If they cast white people like they are in the comics, good! If not, and they opt for more diverse casting I wouldn’t mind.

Personally whenever someone says someone “looks” like a comic character — unless that character has a really distinctive look, I don’t really believe there is a definitive look for the way these characters are depicted other than being consistently drawn as white. You could easily fancast Margot Robbie as Sue Storm as much as you can Emily Blunt and say she “looks” like Sue Storm and I would be yeah…because she’s a blonde haired blue eyed white women. Granted she’s a talented actress but I hardly believe Sue or Reed’s race for that matter enough to limit the casting pool to only white actors. Looks like we aren’t going to agree in this instance, and that’s fine. Regardless of who’s cast, let’s hope for the best. I remain cautiously optimistic that Marvel can deliver a quality movie adaption of the F4 regardless of what race is cast in the roles.

KRYPTON INC. and Frodo like this.
  10. Frodo Registered

This.

The film will be fine regardless if the team is made up of all white actors or a diverse cast.

I'm open to either option too , though the recent rumors point to an all white team anyway.
    But, those are just rumors, so take them with a grain of salt.

If the cast does end up being diverse, Watts will pick the best actors and actress for the jobs who capture the spirit of the characters, and there are actors of Color who can more than meet that goal.

I have zero concerns about this film at this point. It's in the right creative hands at Marvel.

11. GoblinScrier Registered

Well since I want a team that LOOKS like the F4 comics I've been reading since I was a kid, actors that will bring to life the characters, and not change stuff for the sake of change...as they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it! Hollywood LOVES to impose THEIR opinion on what should work when Lee/Kirby or Lee/Ditko in the case of Spidey has worked for 60 years.

Give me a F4 team that I can look at it and say, "Yep, that's my quartet" and "Yep, they finally got it right." Not to mention whenever the good Doctor rises and his comic book accuracy. If Marvel wants to go diverse and do all kinds of stuff, go to the X-men since they represent change and diversity anyway. Just my opinion....

Fluedd and Kev4000 like this.
  12. Detective Conan Registered

I feel that the race swapping debates have sort of derailed the thread. @Stark Bauer @Fluedd I think we should all agree to disagree and move on from this topic. I think I’ve said my piece on this subject and made my position on this clear enough. So I will not be participating in anymore debates about this any further after this until the day casting is officially announced.

13. Da-Scribe he/him

Lol, same conversation every time I pop into this thread.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  14. Frodo Registered

To be fair, it happens with practically every potential race swap casting, and it's gonna continue to happen, because WB and Marvel studios will continue to expand the casting criteria in a way they haven't in the past.
    So , this type of discussion is always has the potential to pop up in fandom.

So , they'll always be some debate over these type of castings, but at the end of the day ,Feige and co have the final say, and the work will just have to speak for itself.

Regardless, the film's gonna be good guys, regardless.
    Marvel's got this.

#639 Frodo, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  15. Crimz Registered

What I'm most interested in right now is who is writing the film. Finding out the writer(s) could tell us a lot about the direction they're going. They've likely finished writing the film or at least putting the finishing touches on it, so it's weird that we've heard nothing about who's writing. That's one of those announcements that they'd do early, but everything to do with MCU Fantastic Four is being kept close to the chest.

16. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Watts is also locked in to helm or is that still up in the air?

17. Fluedd Registered

Watts is directing. It's one of the things that make me optimistic about this film. Giving it to Watts tells me they don't consider the FF a second rate property.

18. Detective Conan Registered

Well…looks like F4 isn’t Watts next project after NWH after all.

19. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I would cast either as Reed's dad if he was in the story.

20. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Clooney would make a great Nathaniel richards.

21. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I’m going to lobby for Brad Pitt for Willie Lumpkin.:cwink:

… and I’m only partly kidding. That could be really fun.:funny:

Fluedd likes this.
  22. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I think this may be partly why we saw Marvel drop those 2023 dates.

And while I’d like to see FF sooner rather than later, taking a step back, slowing down and letting Watts take a break with something like this can allow Watts to clear his head while Marvel makes sure they’re creating the right environment for the FF to drop.

This probably won’t take too much of Watt’s time and he and Marvel can do some work on FF while Watts is doing this.

And I think we’re on schedule for a 2024 release.

… or FF will just never happen. One or the other.:dry:

23. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

A Kang Nathaniel Richards?

Please don't say that. :cwink:

And I agree, Brad Pitt as you would be kind of fun and something he might actually do. It's not like it would be a long term commitment.

Too bad Stan is gone.....he's be someone I would bring back from the Story movie. I don't think anyone could touch him in that role.

24. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

25. Fluedd Registered

Alternate Captain America? Who wants to see that? Aside from maybe Krasinski himself.
    But if he plays an alternate Reed Richards, without playing the "real" one - it would at least be interesting to see how he fits in the role.