Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I have said this before, but I think what they will do for Eternals is insert a guest star in the sequel. Someone like Thor or another popular character like that who will help sell the movie. I think it won't be a loose sequel anymore than say Ragnarok is a loose sequel to The Dark World. It will carry over plot points. Just maybe not how we anticipate them to

yeah it makes sense to insert other characters in Eternals 2 - one of the weakest MCU films and franchises - they need more color (vibrant colors not talking about multiculturalism - they have that in spades). Plus they seem OP so perhaps Galactus or some big baddie is needed.

yeah it makes sense to insert other characters in Eternals 2 - one of the weakest MCU films and franchises - they need more color (vibrant colors not talking about multiculturalism - they have that in spades). Plus they seem OP so perhaps Galactus or some big baddie is needed.

I think they have that part covered given the ending. It would seem Arishem and other Celestials are the likely threats. So they don't NEED Galactus. But that could be a good place to introduce the idea.

It's unlikely we'll be getting any Fantastic Four news this year...

But, I do really like the idea of Feige giving, whatever director they get, the creative freedom they need. This could mean that the Fantastic Four film may stand out from the other MCU films and be something special. I'd be very happy with it diverging from the usual MCU formula that has gotten pretty stale over the years

Last edited:

But, I do really like the idea of Feige giving, whatever director they get, the creative freedom they need. This could mean that the Fantastic Four film may stand out from the other MCU films and be something special. I'd be very happy with it diverging from the usual MCU formula that has gotten pretty stale over the years

I can't imagine them not telling us SOMETHING big...a release date...the cast even the nea director by the end of the year...D23 I could see something big for the F4 there...that is after labor day...but we will see

My FF director BINGO/lottery card looks like this:

1. director of CODA Sian Heder
2. Brad Bird
3. Peyton Reed
4. Edgar Wright
5. Jon Favreau
6. Bryce Dallas Howard
7. Chris Columbus (The Goonies, Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, Harry Potter)

Last edited:

I hope we at least get some writers announced this year. Marvel has hired writers before they’ve hired directors before, so it stands to reason we could at least an announcement for that.

And while it’s a long shot, I think we could get casting news this year. The timeline for when casting happens ultimately depends on when or how Marvel introduces the characters. As we seen with Spider-Man and Black Panther, Marvel can introduce and cast characters in crossover movies before they even land a director for that character’s solo movie. If Marvel wants to cast an actor to play Reed Richards for, say, a post-credit sequence for Ant-Man 3 due next year. They could, and it would eventually leak to the trades eventually.

Either way, I’m fairly optimistic we’ll get something this year.

Last edited:
Soooo apparently Krasinski was cast based on nothing more than a Twitter poll:

The decision to cast fan favorite Krasinski as Richards came directly from Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “He thought it would be great because the fans had — out of nowhere online — chosen John as the choice to play Reed if they ever made a ‘Fantastic Four’ movie,” said Raimi. “I think it was some straw pull that had just appeared and people voted.”

“Kevin understood that was the online head canon and it felt like a cool way to make that dream come true and then turn it into a nightmare,” Waldron said.

Here's how the 'Doctor Strange' Illuminati death scene came to life

This, combined with the director news doesn't bode well for Krasinski being our main MCU Reed. It seems he was never a serious consideration in the first place, and the cameo was always meant to be fan service

If true, I can be patient and let things play out.

I’ve been concerned that there hasn’t been much -either stated publicly or based on rumors - to make me believe Marvel even takes this particularly seriously.

i think most of us here see the FF as a keystone to the Marvel universe, but I can’t honestly point to anything from Marvel/Disney indicating they feel that way and understand the importance of the FF as something more than Shang Chi or The Eternals.

I don’t fully trust yet that they won’t just grab the first director available, slap something together and see what happens.

Last edited:

I’ve been concerned that there hasn’t been much -either stated publicly or based on rumors - to make me believe Marvel even takes this particularly seriously.

i think most of us here see the FF as a keystone to the Marvel universe, but I can’t honestly point to anything from Marvel/Disney indicating the understand the importance.

I don’t fully trust yet that they won’t just grab the first director available, slap something together and see what happens.
I just said that a few seconds ago. :D

I’ll remain optimistic for now that they will get someone great for this.

“Big directors” means someone like Sam Raimi so I’d go with Ron Howard, Robert Zemeckis, Spike Jonze, or Brad Bird.

We keep thinking about the FF as a series of movies, at least a trilogy probably. But what if it's just a one and done? That would be incredibly disappointing, since the FF is practically a franchise within itself.
Very unlikely in my estimation, but I see you're taking a page out of @Willie Lumpkin s "Book of Optimism". :funny: I'll take a page out of my "Book of Pollyanna" and say we get at least 3 movies and a couple of Secret Wars appearances. The latter, I don't expect for at least another 5 or 6 years. There's just too much to set up for it, but I do wonder if they are maybe setting up Arishem for it rather than The Beyonder.

i think most of us here see the FF as a keystone to the Marvel universe, but I can’t honestly point to anything from Marvel/Disney indicating they feel that way and understand the importance of the FF as something more than Shang Chi or The Eternals.

I don't worry about that. It would go against Marvel's standard operating procedure.

The Fantastic Four are arguably the most important Marvel team (they were the FIRST), so I'm sure Feige is feeling the weight of their presence in the MCU.

He's wanted to use them for so long, he's gonna make sure he gets it right.

Now that I've had some time to sit with it, I think Penn Badgley would be my choice for 616 Reed Richards3b0fee6f44a61ba7f9ac1d8253d41bc7b0-26-FP-penn-badgley.rvertical.w570.jpg

I think what I want more than anything, is for Marvel Studios to eliminate the popular notion Reed Richards is some goofy dad type, or socially awkward-- and not the arrogant, cocky, driven scientist that he is.

Richards should have an intensity to him, that I don't think any actor has conveyed.

Lakeith Stanfield would be my other choice
image (1).jpeg

Now that I've had some time to sit with it, I think Penn Badgley would be my choice for 616 Reed RichardsView attachment 56100

I think what I want more than anything, is for Marvel Studios to eliminate the popular notion Reed Richards is some goofy dad type, or socially awkward-- and not the arrogant, cocky, driven scientist that he is.

Richards should have an intensity to him, that I don't think any actor has conveyed.

Lakeith Stanfield would be my other choice
View attachment 56101
I'm not that familiar with either one of them, but, I think it's a done deal that Krasinski is Reed.

I'm not that familiar with either one of them, but, I think it's a done deal that Krasinski is Reed.
wouldn’t mind Krasinski as our Reed but something just tells me he isn’t going to be the guy, and going off that interview Marvel United posted it seems the rationale for casting that actor was primarily for the act of subversion. Of course, we’ll see but I’m far from convinced it’s a done deal he’s 616.

wouldn’t mind Krasinski as our Reed but something just tells me he isn’t going to be the guy, and going off that interview Marvel United posted it seems the rationale for casting that actor was primarily for the act of subversion. Of course, we’ll see but I’m far from convinced it’s a done deal he’s 616.

Also if it’s true they’re taking their time looking for a director, Krasinski isn’t going to just keep his schedule open in case they want him when things have shaken out.

Krasinski is probably doing his thing, and if the eventual director likes him and he likes the eventual director and he has room in his schedule and Marvel makes him a decent offer etc., he may do it, but there are a lot of variables that are yet to be determined.

You guys might be right, but I think Marvel has a solid idea of when they are going to release this and wouldn't be surprised if they either have their director or have is narrowed to 2 or 3 people.

I think it would be really unusual for a popular fancast to be hired for one project like this and then have him go away. It could cause some level of backlash that FF doesn't need.

The thing about it is, from everything we've heard about this project (From Feige, to the trades, to writers etc), it sounds like Feige is taking a big swing on the F4, and with that, comes the studio stepping slightly out of it's comfort zone-- to a slightly less "safe" approach. I mean, MOM is probably the least "safe" film Marvel has ever made, and Feige is using that as a template.

With that in mind, Krasinski is the epitome of a "safe" choice for Mr. Fantastic, almost to the point of caricature. There is nothing Inspired, nothing defining, about that casting. Reed Richards has the potential to become the FACE of the MCU, as he is humanity's greatest weapon.

The casting, I'd say, has to be a lil stronger, a little more inspired than stock John Krasinski. And I think that's why Krasinski was never seriously considered :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"