1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by flickchick85, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Slattery is pretty funny but he instantly trashes the credibility of the film he’s in lol.

Dark Raven and Stark Bauer like this.
  2. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Slattery was okay in Ant-Man and also in Endgame in his scenes with Tony.

3. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

It was an interesting concept, but there were two major problems:

1. The real villain was far less interesting and intimidating than the fake villain.

2. They ruined Mandarin rather than just creating a new character.

Otherwise it could have been a fun, funny idea.

Stark Bauer and Iceman like this.
  4. Fluedd Registered

Apparently they needed a major villain to give the swerve that much more impact. Iron Man 3 was a more interesting movie before the swerve than after, IMO. I'm one of the few people who prefers Iron Man 2.

Then they bring in the "real" Mandarin in Shang-Chi, but he doesn't want to be called Mandarin (can't let go of that political correctness, I guess). And what they did with the 10 rings made them unrecognizable. That's why I don't trust Feige or Marvel to do the FF right until I see it.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  5. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Idk I don't feel like the comparisons fit. The mandarin has ALWAYS been a controversial figure rooted in racism. So they had to update the character for modern culture and macimizing their dollar. The Trevor thing was marvels fault and honestly would've been better had win wu with his 10 rings been the villain there in some way imo. But with the FF there's not as much of a need to reinvent the wheel, they just have to execute it. Granted given the history on the big screen with the FF and marvels fondness for reinvention I don't blame you for your skepticism. I just dont think the mandarin is a fair comparison to make to them.

Iceman and Stark Bauer like this.
  6. Fluedd Registered

I'm still trying to decide whether or not they've ruined the Sub-Mariner. Talk about classic characters, he dates back to the late '30s. Yet they still decided to reimagine him. I have a creeping feeling they're going to do the same with the FF. And since the FF are such huge favorites of mine that I've been invested in since I was probably around six years old, I take that personally.

7. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I’ll wait until I see the movie, but as long as the character is right (and from the clips I’ve seen, it looks promising), I’m not concerned if they go with an Aztec theme. To me, that’s just a design element, and the design in the comics wasn’t consistent enough or iconic enough that I’ll demand they stick with it.

Generally speaking, from what I’ve seen, he looks and acts like Namor to me.

8. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

… personally, I was THRILLED when I saw him wearing green shorts and flying with tiny wings on his ankles.

Those are two things I thought they’d be afraid to give us.

9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Same here, those wings were awesome (even though many seemed to not like them). I didn't expect them to include those.

10. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Even with namor forgetting how old the character is, after the huge success aquaman was (an aquatic king of Atlantis) them changing namors culture makes some sense. Did they HAVE to do it, probably not, but it'll at least differentiate the characters. Everything else seems intact with him though, pointy ears and silly ankle wings and all.

Stark Bauer, Venom 1988 and Iceman like this.
  11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Also feels like Namor's ...personality is intact lol.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  12. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I thought for sure we'd get this costume:

[​IMG]

Minus the wings.

They didn't even give Captain America actual wings on his helmet apart from the USO costume.

Iceman likes this.
  13. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Not watered down.

Iceman likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

No wings for Cap always disappointed me. They've been an iconic part of his look for me. Yeah I expected something more basic like the above but they've gone really hardcore ambitious/exotic. Looks like the dude will have a fiery attitude too.

Dark Raven likes this.
  15. Fluedd Registered

Really? Maybe we've seen different clips, but I haven't seen the arrogance that usually accompanies his comic book appearances. The small speech I heard him say just seemed like weirdness to me. They've even changed the way his name is pronounced, although that makes sense if you make him Latino.

I also expected the blue costume. I liked his appearance when I saw the first trailer, but after seeing a little more I think they could gotten someone a little more buff, and I can't say I care for the nose ornament.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  16. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This dude is oozing arrogance lol. The visual changes are a significant departure for sure, but they just make him look even more arrogant IMO.

17. Fluedd Registered

Well, we see it differently I guess. But I'll withhold judgement until I see the movie. But I'm seldom happy with changes to characters, especially significant ones. I still think Marvel should have claimed Atlantis for itself.

Stark Bauer and Iceman like this.
  18. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I just think it’s way too early to judge. He could swing dramatically one way or the other once we see everything in context.

… I mean, I went into Rise of The Silver Surfer thinking it could be a good movie based on the clips I had seen, but by the bachelor party scene, I was squirming in my seat and ashamed to be a Fantastic Four fan.:O

Stark Bauer, Venom 1988 and Iceman like this.
  19. Airwings Waves of air

And DC/WB to come up with another name for the Aquaman film... he's from Talocan?

But wait... isn't that a significant change to a character?? :halo:

#2419 Airwings, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Stark Bauer likes this.
  20. Fluedd Registered

I don't care what Aquaman does, Marvel and DC are separate universes, there's no reason why they can't both have their own Atlantis.

I've heard some early reviewers say Namor is very cool in the movie, so we'll wait and see. I would think he would still be very cool without the changes though. I'm a little protective of the character since he was reintroduced to comics in FF #4.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  21. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I don’t see it as a change at all.

Where is Atlantis?

We don’t know.

What did Atlantis look like?

We don’t know.

So the Greeks called it “Atlantis” and the Aztecs called it “Talocan”. That doesn’t mean it’s two different places. It means two different cultures with two different languages called it two different things - as is the case with most things.

The Greeks called the sun “Ilios”. The Aztecs called it “Tonatiuh”. Does that mean they were talking about two different things?

Iceman, Stark Bauer and Venom 1988 like this.
  22. Airwings Waves of air

I wonder why you said "I still think Marvel should have claimed Atlantis for itself" if you didn't mean that only Marvel should be able to use the name Atlantis.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  23. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i appreciate this perspective. Many cultures have different but very similar stories about a global Flood (Noah’s Flood), Joshua’s longest day (where the sun stood still longer than normal), giants, and even dragons. It doesnt mean they are different events. Simply seen through different lenses. Just like Atlantis and Talocan.

Willie Lumpkin, Venom 1988 and Iceman like this.
  24. Fluedd Registered

It is definitely a change from the comic books.

I meant that Marvel should claim their own Atlantis, they didn't need to back off of having it to avoid confusion with Aquaman.

Airwings and Stark Bauer like this.
  25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I honestly couldn't less what they call it. Everyone knows what it is supposed to be lol

Airwings, Venom 1988 and Stark Bauer like this.