1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Fantastic Four General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by flickchick85, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

The comic books are a change from the comic books.

“Atlantis” looks different every time we see it.

The design aesthetic of this Atlantis doesn’t diverge radically from what we’ve seen in comics. (and I can call it Atlantis if I want - as I’ve said, different people can call it by different names - Do the Inhumans live in Attilan or The Great Refuge? Depends who you ask. Do the FF live in New York City or The Big Apple? Is Kurt Wagner from Germany or Deutschland?)

And the film-makers should be allowed similar freedom as comic artists.

. D1913A9F-5742-4043-87A6-1494342FAC07.jpeg FD31E667-46A2-4AAF-9A18-6CAF4DF962DB.jpeg EB9BDA56-58C1-4B7C-A107-881AE69AF430.jpeg B7ABDC8E-8BB8-4FC3-A313-C7BDBD00C769.jpeg

#2426 Willie Lumpkin, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  2. GoblinScrier Registered

You are right...just as long as they don't change the look/name of Latveria

Stark Bauer and Willie Lumpkin like this.
  3. Fluedd Registered

I'm a purist, so I'm not really happy with the changes. They've changed the pronunciation, origin, and meaning of his name. Namor was never an Aztec who worshipped Quetzalcoatl. I used to think Marvel could be relied on to respect their own characters, but I'm thinking that less and less as time goes on. They are playing fast and loose with them.

Not saying it will ruin the movie for me necessarily, but I do find the changes irritating.

By the way, I heard the other day that the Sub-Mariner was the first superhero to fly in a comic book (Superman was still in his "leap tall buildings" era). That's pretty amazing when you think about it. He also predates DC's Aquaman by a few years.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  4. Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Ironically enough, I have the same fear, but for different reasons. My fear is that the filmmakers are going to succumb to ignorance, and strip Latveria of it's rich social & political context, by whitewashing it, turning it into a generic eastern european country e.g. Sokovia, devoid of the anti-colonial themes traditionally present in Doom's origin.

IMO what Coogler did with N'amor was absolutely brilliant. Black Panther was heralded for it's anti-colonial themes, and obviously Atlantis in the comics doesn't necessarily track with that. So, what he did was take the framework of the character, and change the cultural context-- Suddenly, Atlantis is no longer a vaguely Greek setting, but a lost indigenous Mayan civilization. Suddenly, Namor is no longer just a pissed off dude in swim shorts, but a relic from colonial past of injustice; that anger, that rage he feels, now justified.

Obviously, Ryan Coogler, a black man, is going to be invested in getting that cultural specificity right, especially when representing a minority culture-- in Doom's case, the Roma. Most directors are not going to be invested, nor care, about getting these things right.

And that's precisely why, I hope Coogler gets first dibs on Doom. If you want an adaptation that honors the source material, and actually explores the themes that makes this character so powerful, you should hope he gets it.

If not Doom, hopefully the X-Men.

Stark Bauer and Venom 1988 like this.
  5. Fluedd Registered

Oh boy, now classic comic book character Nuh-more is a symbol of anti-colonialism, and can serve as political fodder for more modern day anti-Americanism. How original. Just what I would expect from Disney.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  6. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Seems like your issues stem from beyond just being a "purist".

Da-Scribe and Spider-Fan like this.
  7. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Have you been watching the MCU? They have updated every character they have adapted from comics to the MCU. What they are doing with Namor is no different

Frodo and Venom 1988 like this.
  8. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

While it may have never been stated in such terms, I’m absolutely certain Namor has alway had a dislike of colonialism.

Colonialism means more human incursion into his realm.

Frodo and Venom 1988 like this.
  9. Da-Scribe he/him

[​IMG]

Also, not sure how a character with a history tied to Spanish colonialism is anti-American...but...ok.

Venom 1988, Frodo and Spider-Fan like this.
  10. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

11. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    I hope thats false.

12. Originalavenger Registered

They would have to do some juggling with the mcu(timeline) I e retcon some stuff not sure how I feel about that!! Prefer a no

13. Dcs72 Registered

Another problem with the 60's setting is that it would make them feel like a retread Captain America, since we all know they'd end up getting transported to the present day in the end.

Venom 1988 likes this.
  14. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

whats so bad with that? If they capture the essence of the characters i dont care if they time warp them from the future the past or up someone’s butthole

Airwings likes this.
  15. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
  16. Dcs72 Registered

It's been done before, and if done again, should be differentiated.

17. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    It does feel like a retread when a superhero finds out that they are in the 21st century now.

18. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Yea I used to be a fan of the idea of the FF being in the 60s and getting transported to modern day somehow when it was first suggested like 6-7 years ago (probably longer). Fast forward to today and it seems that idea constantly comes up and has become a tired suggestion IMO. I think whatever Marvel is going to do, it's something we're not gonna be able to guess.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  19. Dcs72 Registered

I forgot to mention this, but Grace Randolph's suggestion of a Mad Men take on the Fantastic Four, might not be a good idea right now.

20. NotNickFury Registered

Rarely does Grace Randolph say anything that's a good idea.

Venom 1988 likes this.
  21. Dcs72 Registered

True, but it sounds like something that could be remarkably divisive, and that's not something this film needs.

22. Scarlet Spider Registered

I love the idea of a 60's period piece. :hrt:

Stark Bauer likes this.
  23. Frodo Registered

I wouldn't have minded the 1960s setting if the characters were part of their own continuity in which all of their supporting characters such as Doom, Mole Man, etc, where also in the 1960s.

In other words, if they weren't part of a shared universe ,ala retro stand alone films like The Rocketeer, The Phantom , and The Shadow.

Without that , it does make things iffy with characters like Doctor Doom, Alicia Masters, etc.

Are they also from the 1960s ? or are they characters born in the 80s and 90s whom the team meets once they arrive in the 2020s?

For example , Is Doom a contemporary with Reed as in the comics ,or is he a guy old enough to be Reeds Grandson whom the team meets in the 21st century.

That's the kind of question I would have.

Not saying you could bring the team into modern day, but I'd prefer they be contemporaries with the current heroes as opposed to being transplants from the 1960s.

24. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I’ve gone back and forth on the idea.

I’m currently not a fan of a retro story, but I’d at least give them a chance. This could fit the rumors of the FF showing up in Ant-Man.

The good news with that is we could see them relatively soon, with Ant-Man presumably bringing them into present day and then the FF film being a flashback.

It could also fit the idea of Rama Tut being the FF villain with that and Kang and Ant-Man all being tied together.

Stark Bauer likes this.