Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, how bout we get that.. If you haven't noticed the big thing these days in CBM is the intermingling of characters in shared universes is all the rave since that small movie called the Avengers.. So Marvel gave a crap about "Fan Boys" wet dreams and made some billions..

So Fox hires Mark Millar to do some "Whedonese" consulting for a shared universe. You read that too I'll assume

But I digress.. Point Blank. Fox's even mentioning a shared X-Men/FF is disrespecting the FF characters. Hey, preach the word that FOX will make great CBM's from here on out. The jury is still out on that though.

You pretty much said it for me. LOL!

I think the reason they may have let DD go is they realize he's a smaller-scale character that won't fit into a film series that has the fate of mankind in the balance.

I also suspect that's why Fox didn't trade Galactus and Silver Surfer to Marvel for Daredevil when that potential deal was rumored.

It's fun to think of Fox as complete bumbling morons, but even they have to realize that if they have FF, X-Men, Magneto, Doom, Galactus and Surfer, they have the raw materials they need to pull off a truly epic series of films.

Unfortunately, I don't think many of us have much confidence that Fox really knows how or truly intends to use those raw materials properly.

Its not only that. Imagine a story that the FF teams up with the X-Men to stop the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Or the X-Men teaming with the FF to stop a Skrull invasion and battles with them to defeat the Super Skrull? As fans of the X-Men and FF won't it seem ODD stories?. Yeah I guess you can make anything up from thin air but these are supposed to be characters based from existing comic books.

As yourselves this. In fifty years of Marvel Comics, how many times has the FF and the X-Men crossed over without any anyone else in the core Marvel Universe (Avengers)? Now in that same period How many times have the Avengers (Characters) teamed up with the FF?? After you answer those questions you'll the realize that what Fox is attempting to do MAKES NO SENSE!! and there in lies my core complaint.

Having connectivity between all the the FoxMarvel movies does not somehow mean that the X-Men/FF will be crossing over in every film.

Having connectivity between all the the FoxMarvel movies does not somehow mean that the X-Men/FF will be crossing over in every film.

The point is they shouldn't crossing over in ANY FILM
Then why keep them? They could just ignore that the other exists as before. Like there were nothing in the FF and FFROTSS, continuity wise, that suggest that the X-Men don't exist. Same the other way around. So why any connectivity at all if its not culminate into something large scale? Just a bunch of Easter Eggs of each others existence?

I'm saying the FF would make money in the backdrop of the MCU then the X-CU (cause thats what a Fox shared universe is with the preponderance of the characters and villains leaning X-men) So Fox will spend a nickel to get back a penny just to keep the rights? thats like buying them all over again..

Last edited:
Fox is basically winging it at this point. They've only had 1 relatively somewhat decent film in 7 years.

And the only acknowledgement of Josh Trank doing this reboot is a recently made unconfirmed Twitter account with like 7 followers.

We wont see an official green light on FF until Fox looks at The Wolverine's numbers. An increasingly unfavorable comic film studio is not going to invest 130+ million on a reboot releasing in 2015 with a bunch of heavy hitters if it's not likely they'll get a good return on it.

Yep. The crossovers in the Marvel films leading up to the AVENGERS was minor things. You can acknowledge the existence of something or someone without having them take up half the movie.

Yep. The crossovers in the Marvel films leading up to the AVENGERS was minor things. You can acknowledge the existence of something or someone without having them take up half the movie.

But those minor acknowledgments led to something bigger. What is Fox's motivation in hiring Mark Millar and his Joss Whedon comparisons in what he did for the MCU?

As yourselves this. In fifty years of Marvel Comics, how many times has the FF and the X-Men crossed over without any anyone else in the core Marvel Universe (Avengers)? Now in that same period How many times have the Avengers (Characters) teamed up with the FF?? After you answer those questions you'll the realize that what Fox is attempting to do MAKES NO SENSE!! and there in lies my core complaint.

Well as I'm sure you're implying when Marvel has done really big stories - such as the Infinity Wars - they've brought in as many major characters as possible.

But if we're really realistic, the logical problem is with the many Marvel stories that don't involve more characters. The original Galactus story is a good example. Here we had Galactus setting up a device in the middle of Manhatten and the FF were the only ones who gave a damn. Where were Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America etc. etc. etc. when that was going on?

For the simplicity of story telling, tradition dictates that characters fight their own battles 99% of the time when the earth is in peril. That doesn't really make sense, but it's comic book reality.

In the case of X-Men and FF inhabiting the same univers and (presumably) being that universe's only superheros, it would make complete sense that they would team up if/when Galactus threatens the world. But while it might make logical, real-world sense, I do have a fear that so many characters could not be properly handled.

If it were completely up to me, I would probably keep the characters in different universes just so I wouldn't have to deal with the logistical nightmare of having 20 characters all battling side-by-side.

But I would also presume that if Marvel owned these characters, they would put them all in the same Universe that would lead to the same logistical problems that we have with the comic universe.

I don't know what exactly Fox plans, but I don't see any cross-overs as an inherently bad thing or inherently good thing. As with most things related to these films, it all comes down to how well it's handled.

Fox is basically winging it at this point. They've only had 1 relatively somewhat decent film in 7 years.

And the only acknowledgement of Josh Trank doing this reboot is a recently made unconfirmed Twitter account with like 7 followers.

We wont see an official green light on FF until Fox looks at The Wolverine's numbers. An increasingly unfavorable comic film studio is not going to invest 130+ million on a reboot releasing in 2015 with a bunch of heavy hitters if it's not likely they'll get a good return on it.

Agreed..FF and X-men need to come back to Marvel

Agreed..FF and X-men need to come back to Marvel

tumblr_lzjho5l6TG1r0x8eq.gif

I think most people would agree that a FF reboot directed by Josh Trank in the MCU would be epic.

Well as I'm sure you're implying when Marvel has done really big stories - such as the Infinity Wars - they've brought in as many major characters as possible.

Not only that but Relationships like Reed and Banner,Johnny Storm and Crystal from the Inhumans, Hulk vs Thing (which we may never see on film. Shame), etc.

But if we're really realistic, the logical problem is with the many Marvel stories that don't involve more characters. The original Galactus story is a good example. Here we had Galactus setting up a device in the middle of Manhatten and the FF were the only ones who gave a damn. Where were Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Captain America etc. etc. etc. when that was going on?

Well, In comics, its always been assumed that one team can't be available to address every threat (and if I'm correct that event was dismissed as a hoax to the public). So it can easily explained away to the GA where the Avengers and even the X-Men were during those events..

For the simplicity of story telling, tradition dictates that characters fight their own battles 99% of the time when the earth is in peril. That doesn't really make sense, but it's comic book reality.

In the case of X-Men and FF inhabiting the same univers and (presumably) being that universe's only superheros, it would make complete sense that they would team up if/when Galactus threatens the world. But while it might make logical, real-world sense, I do have a fear that so many characters could not be properly handled.

Yeah, If your making up stories I guess but there's no Marvel source material to get this from

If it were completely up to me, I would probably keep the characters in different universes just so I wouldn't have to deal with the logistical nightmare of having 20 characters all battling side-by-side.

This!!!! Because Fox want to attempt what the Avengers did without working with Marvel directly which could be a recipe for disaster for the characters

But I would also presume that if Marvel owned these characters, they would put them all in the same Universe that would lead to the same logistical problems that we have with the comic universe.

I don't know what exactly Fox plans, but I don't see any cross-overs as an inherently bad thing or inherently good thing. As with most things related to these films, it all comes down to how well it's handled.

Not really, as The FF could have their own movie but clearly exist in the MCU. IM isn't in Asgard. Captain America, I'd assume, is in New York when the Mandarin lay to rubble Tony's Malibu home. And Banner is out there trying not to have a episode.

The fact is they could if they wanted to but probably wouldn't unless it was a shared global threat (or just happened to be in the same place like Reed and Sue's wedding in the 65 Annual)

But those minor acknowledgments led to something bigger. What is Fox's motivation in hiring Mark Millar and his Joss Whedon comparisons in what he did for the MCU?

I guess I'm not the average poster on here. I don't over analyze what MAY happen with a movie....especially what MAY happen with a movie years or so from now.

Back in the day, Stan always had the perfect answer for this question: The other heroes were out of town fighting their own battles when Galactus attacked. They all had their own lives, their own enemies and their own monthly books; it made sense that they wouldn't always be around to help other heroes in a crisis.

Besides, there is very little that the street-level heroes could have done against Galactus. bad place, even Thor and the Hulk have proven ineffective against the Destroyer of Worlds. Spider-Man and DD would have been completely useless.

The same argument can be used for why heroes in the MCU don't appear when their teammates have problems. All of them have other places to be and other battles to fight. The action could for all of the Phase 2 movies could take place simultaneously, as IM2, Thor and TIH did.

I think the top priority for most FF fans would be for us to get a good F4 film.I think we all can agree on that.If FOX made a great film then I consider it a win.

I think the top priority for most FF fans would be for us to get a good F4 film.I think we all can agree on that.If FOX made a great film then I consider it a win.

15 years ago yes.. These days my standards have risen. And Fox making a great film is wishful thinking at best but if they were to make a GREAT film then I'd be cool with that but c'mon, thats like expecting a shady car salesman to give you a great deal.. Good luck with that

Last edited:

Fox could have made a good FF film, and they blew it both times. Given that track record, I'm hoping for a plethora of setbacks (or one or few big ones) to slow the "development" of FF so the rights could revert back to Marvel.

why do you constantly act like marvel is putting out tdk quality films lol honestly imo marvel is 2 for 6

cap,thor,TIH are all very meh films by the numbers and safe and iron man 2 is a universally panned film

even if FOX makes a great film the haters will still bash it

Hey hey hey, don't lump Cap in there.

why do you constantly act like marvel is putting out tdk quality films lol honestly imo marvel is 2 for 6

:huh:I can't recall when I've ever done that.

cap,thor,TIH are all very meh films by the numbers and safe and iron man 2 is a universally panned film

$620M and 75% RT rating =/= universally panned. Cap and Thor, whatever gripes people have for them, were much better received, critically and financially, than Fox' FF movies. I don't think there are may who would disagree with that.

If Fox makes a great FF film, I'll gladly acknowledge it, but they haven't. They've made good X-Men films (X1, X2, First Class), and I've acknowledged those, but they screwed up big time with FF. Fox is 0/2 with FF, so I think I'm justified in my wanting the rights to revert.

I don't know... i love TDK, but... it's also NOT really a "comic book movie" as much as it is a CRIME DRAMA, THRILLER.

It's almost too real and to serious to be anywhere near a fantasy film... and imo it's my biggest criticism of the Nolan films. Fantastic story telling, and acting. But at the same time i felt batman and his world were incredibly constricted to realism. The Perfect batman is easily a combo of both Nolan's story telling... and Burton's fantasy.

i don't really want "tdk" for my marvel films... story telling can be great, for sure. but, I also like a little bit of fantasy. The trick imo about comic book films is making the viewer believe in these over the top, fantastical things.. and bringing their world to ours in a way where again, it's believable.

Nolan took batman and his villains and made them believable in our world, rather than letting us believe that world could exist.

Last edited:
^very close minded

comic books has different genres you dont have to be huge on fantasy and bright colors to be considered a comic book film

road to perdetion and a history of violence are also comic book films btw

^very close minded

comic books has different genres you dont have to be huge on fantasy and bright colors to be considered a comic book film

to be fair.. those are more graphic novels. Let me paraphrase better...

"superhero films"

:doh:

Those are self-contained stories. Batman, FF and Avengers have decades worth of adventures and crazy stories that have been retold, retconned and reimagined by tons of writers and artists to appeal to an endlessly shifting fanbase. There is no comparison.

Well everybody is titled to their opinions. I guess the question is, and has been, since you think XM-FC was SOOOoo GREAT! and Cap,Thor and IM 2 were SOOOoo meh how many share your opinion vs how many share mines cause IMO I loved the meh movies you refer to.

I guess we'll revisit this when Fox finally makes a Great movie..

i am sorry anyone who say's nolan films are not real super hero films are very closeminded and only view super hero films in 1 way

batman has no super powers and neither does majority of his villains

joker
two face
penguin
catwoman
riddler
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts