Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 5

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Tactics

Dr Tactics Ill Brova

Ok. Officer

2. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Dapper

Banned in 5..4..3..2..1

3. Dr Tactics

Dr Tactics Ill Brova

Yeah I feel like Justin Timberlake. In Time I'll be out of time:woot:

4. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

To be fair - I would think the lack of "success" with FF 1 & 2 [even though they made better money than First Class] would make it less likely that they could afford to do such a blow by blow rehash of FF 1 in the reboot. Is an audience going to embrace so much of the same movie again.

Amazing Spider-Man retold the origin, which could be viewed as an error that resulted in less b.o., but they did not give us the same villain all over again in the process.

5. Jordacar

Jordacar The Endless One

With that in mind, I'm sure the ASM sequel will be received a lot better than the first, because there's no way it can feel like a rehash of Spider-Man 2. Whether it's actually as good as SM2, we'll have to wait and see.

Another difference in this case is that Raimi's Spider-Man told the origin well and Story's FF didn't; I think there are a whole lot of improvements that can be made, rather than just trying to zig where the other one zagged like ASM did.

6. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

Actually neither FF movie made more money then First Class, unless you are combing the Box Office take from both FF films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four:_Rise_of_the_Silver_Surfer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_First_Class

The problem is movie Doom was not nearly as interesting as the comic book version of the character, so a proper version of Doom from the comics has not shown up on screen. And the problem with using another villain is other Doom and Galactus, the FF's rogues gallery starts getting kinda of weak. So if you are going to use a villain who isn't Doom, they are going to have to do something to make that villain compelling, not just seem like a place holder for Dr. Doom. Lizard is more interesting then most FF villains, Spidey just has a better rogues gallery, so the film makers have more villain options with Spidey. I like Annihilus, but that's more due to Annihilation than any of the stories he has appeared in the FF title. I also like Ultimate Mole Man better then 616 Mole Man, so they make a movie with him as the central villain. I think they should take a lot of elements from Ultimate Mole Man. Making a movie where say Red Ghost seems like a disaster, considering how dull his character is. Plus if Doom doesn't appear in the first film, his presence should be felt, he should be a growing threat in the back ground.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  7. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

If they use the Moleman and make him an extremely compelling villain, people are going to think that he is the FF's arch enemy and will keep wanting him back. If they remember Julian McMahon's Doom as well, they'll think he pales in comparison to the Mole Man. Doom will have been castrated and will always be inferior to almost every other comic villain.

8. Dark Raven

^ There's an ignore button if that helps.

9. Dr Tactics

Dr Tactics Ill Brova

I like big statements:woot:

10. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

I like keeping fights from starting.

11. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

Mole Man doesn't have to be "extremely" compelling, but he has to be somewhat compelling, he can't be a generic bad guy and carry a movie. Plus they can build up Dr. Doom as a threat in the back ground in this movie, so when he does appear, it will be really exciting because of plot points about the growing threat of Dr. Doom will come to a head, like what they are doing with Mandarin in the Iron Man movies.

Besides the fact that we got a goofy version of Two-Face in Batman Forever and a really lame version of Bane in Batman and Robin, didn't change the fact they got an awesome Two-Face in Dark Knight and an awesome version of Bane in Dark Knight Rises. McMahon hasn't ruined Doom forever, if we see an awesome version of Doom on the screen, people will forget about the McMahon Doom.

12. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

Guess I was thinking of the FF's domestic gross - which was more than FC, but world wide FC did pass the first FF.

I would not mind Doom being in the deep in the shadows in an FF reboot, like I assume Osborn was in TAS...

13. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

i'd be fine with moleman if he turned out to be nothing more than a pawn for doom... basically doom lurks in the shadows, and after moleman is defeated, the F4 go to latveria to take on doom

14. Dark Raven

I'm not just talking about how he's written though. What if they get a really good actor to play him, and he brings out a brilliant performance, much like people are praising Ben Kingsley, or have done for Heath Ledger? The actor could turn him into a classic movie villain, and then he'll essentially become the General Zod of the FF franchise where the general audience thinks he's either Superman's only real nememis or arch enemy (not helped by MoS).

For Doom they would need to get a really seasoned and oscar winning actor this time - someone older too. Definitely not a second rate tv actor that's for sure. I remember when McMahon's name was in the hat for James Bond when Pierce Brosnan was being fired from his role and before Daniel Craig had been cast. I think he was once on Leno (or some similar show) and did his "Bond, James Bond" impression, and it sounded awful.

15. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

^Doom need an actor like Mark Strong

16. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member

From Comics Bulletin February 12, 2008
    Sean Boyle interviews Mark Millar

17. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member

From Comics Bulletin February 12, 2008
    Sean Boyle interviews Mark Millar

18. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

been thinking how about Dave Franco for Johnny Storm i thought he was good in 21 jump street he is young, charismatic ,and was pretty funny
    [​IMG]

19. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

My own current pick to play Doom is John Noble, with the proviso that, yes, you likely need a younger actor for "Young Doom" scenes, and a very good stunt man inside the armor.

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Dapper

I like the idea of Dave Franco as Johnny.

Good call.

21. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member

John Noble would be good as Doc Ock too.

22. Spideyfan93

Spideyfan93 Hayley Atwell I love you!

23. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

24. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

we still got 3 years... lots of time for things to go wrong :)

25. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.