Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I think it was a mistake in the previous films to go for the dorky angle with Reed. If Tony Stark is like Howard Hughes, then Reed should be like Carl Sagan. As a superhero. :word:

Some how over the last decade or so the term "Smart" got confused with "Nerd" - while they can be the same, they are not exclusively so.
Reed was/is a "man's man" - nothing dorky, nerdy, or insecure about him. He's smart,confident and [usually] right - and knows it.

totally. people always think the same thing about Peter Parker. outside maybe the first few issues, Peter's never been a 'nerd'.

Reed's a weird guy. people wanna make him cute and lovable but i see him as being kind of self-involved, and totally living in his head thru his inventions and all that.
not just a kooky absent-minded professor who forgets to eat or put on matching socks, but who entirely forgets his kid's birthdays or his anniversary with his wife. and then even when someone comes to point it out to him or his wife comes to let him know how bad she feels, he ends up pretty much just ignoring them. cuz he's really not comfortable with emotions and dealing with them in others. like to the point where it locks him up and he can come off looking like a total prick to normal people.
like he can kick back with Ben and have a beer and watch a game, but dealing with showing that he cares or that people care back is pretty awkward to him.

he can come off as indecisive or weak sometimes too becuz he's too busy analyzing minute aspects of a situation that are pretty invisible to other people. and then flip side of that, other times he comes as bizarrely sure of himself and one particular course of action.

and then last negative side of Reed that i'd like to see is the way he's so sure of being right that it's easy for him to cross the line into making other's people's decisions for them. in the comics, just look at how he has comfortable with his role in the Illuminati. didn't tell Sue even, but he feels like his genius gives him the right (burden) to work above other less capable people. and the annoying thing is that he's actually right. probabilities dictate a more likely beneficial outcome if he takes things in his own hands, but that's infuriating to have to wake up next to every day.
the whole origin of the FF is kinda an example of this in him. he felt sure enough with his genius to put the lives of Sue and Johnny at risk in the rocket launch.

i'm just pointing out a lot of the negatives about him, but those are the things that the last movies totally shyed away from and we got that dorky can't dance fool of a Reed Richards.
If you're just killing time in a room with Reed Richards, it should be an intimidating thing, in it's own way. he should really have the presence of a genius.

but yeah, i also agree on the level that he's not just a cerebral guy, he's kind of a two fisted man who's pretty down to fight and he's kinda territorial about Sue too. and when it's time for him to break away from his head and allow himself to be with her, he's really passionate about it. there's no real modern archetype of male identity for him, he belongs more to the 40's and 50's, reflected thru the 60's.

too ruggedly handsome of a guy tho, i think isn't right. like the guy posted on the last page.
i think it's distracting and kind of gonna make most people in the audience take the character the wrong way.
there should be something just manly and sort of in the middle about him. thin of course, but his face shouldn't be so charming.

another thing that i forgot to say about what i hope a new movie does is to show how hard it is for Reed to be part of a team like the FF. how it goes against some part of him to trust anyone else to act competently. cuz if it wasn't for being pushed into life and death situations, he's always more comfortable doing everything himself, cuz he knows it'll get done better.

so that makes him a bit of a control freak and it's kinda what Ben has gotten used to and learned to adapt to but a thing that Johnny finds absolutely and completely maddening. cuz he's got this whole thing where it seems like Reed's trying to be their dad or something and him and Sue don't need anyone. except each other and who the f&*k does this guy think he is? he doesn't even give Sue the attention she deserves. and part of Johnny just wishes he and Sue would always be on their own together.

that's a big part of the FF's dynamic. so Reed needs to live up to the big prick he can seem like sometimes.

Agreed, I think it was a mistake in the previous films to go for the dorky angle with Reed. If Tony Stark is like Howard Hughes, then Reed should be like Carl Sagan. As a superhero. :word:

That sounds awesome!

Im not happy with the casting rumor and find it offensive. Its offensive that Hollywood is far too afraid to make a film featuring some of the great black superheroes and instead cast black actors in white roles.... I'd be vastly offended to be a black actor taking on a predominantly white role, color blind casting is great in some roles, but in other's it's completely outside of the character. Its one thing when its a villain ( kingpin) or a character based on another version of the character (nick fury) but to make two blonde hair, blue eyed iconic heroes another race is pretty upsetting.... Id be fine if it were Ben, but johnny (and presumably sue) no no no. I don't want a white t'challa , Asian superman, native American sunfire , or a latino Luke cage either........

People were passed enough about Jessica alba as sue.... This would be a horrible move for fox to make imo.

Last edited:
As Ben's Aunt Petunia would say, this is bull****!

I love colorblind casting. I'm fine with it if he gets the role.

I don't like the rumor but If true It's probally because Josh Tank wants him.Now Fox would be wrong to say yes to tank.

I don't like changing race or gender of character.It's a mistake to do It.

What about Miles Teller?

1zgfh2a.jpg
What about Elizabeth Olsen?

2dakoye.jpg
What about Michael B. Jordan?

2hov22e.jpg
Well, this is... interesting.

Oh wow....this could be Alba proportions of craziness on these boards....

This will be interesting to say the least.

It'll be like putting out a fire with gasoline.....

I think I'm taking a vacation from FF boards for awhile.See you guys when something official happens.

I actually like this!

Johnny is obviously going to be adopted.

I can dig it. What does this mean for Sue though? Adopted bastard brother of the Sue Storm family? I think you need diversity to the roster though. Was hoping for a period piece but ah well.

Sue will be played by Lucy Liu

I think, and I'm inclined to believe anyone that has seen him in Friday Night Lights will agree, that Jordan is a great choice for the role. It's also a large shift - looks like Johnny and Sue will (like everyone else) will be much younger this time around, and someone's going to be adopted, or both. This opens up the possibility (I.e. likelihood) of a foster parent situation, where both characters will feel 'alienated', have only ever had each other, etc. And while fans would hope and pray Fox has learned their lesson, one can't help but foresee the villain having some sort of tie to the kids' tough upbringing. Toss in studio desire for 'grit', 'groundedness', and what appears to be the need to redefine/modernize "Family" (not to mention a rushed move to keep film rights) and it just appears to be a reboot for reboots sake.

I'm all for a reimagining, and I totally get and am intrigued by 'Family' being used as an ideal, and not some strict notion of the word that limits plot points and story telling. But speaking of story telling, too much focus on said family and said grit/emotion comes at the expense of the science fiction aspect which is a necessary part of the equation to make a Fantastic Four movie effective.

I think, and I'm inclined to believe anyone that has seen him in Friday Night Lights will agree, that Jordan is a great choice for the role. It's also a large shift - looks like Johnny and Sue will (like everyone else) will be much younger this time around, and someone's going to be adopted, or both. This opens up the possibility (I.e. likelihood) of a foster parent situation, where both characters will feel 'alienated', have only ever had each other, etc. And while fans would hope and pray Fox has learned their lesson, one can't help but foresee the villain having some sort of tie to the kids' tough upbringing. Toss in studio desire for 'grit', 'groundedness', and what appears to be the need to redefine/modernize "Family" (not to mention a rushed move to keep film rights) and it just appears to be a reboot for reboots sake.

I'm all for a reimagining, and I totally get and am intrigued by 'Family' being used as an ideal, and not some strict notion of the word that limits plot points and story telling. But speaking of story telling, too much focus on said family and said grit/emotion comes at the expense of the science fiction aspect which is a necessary part of the equation to make a Fantastic Four movie effective.

Jordan is two years older than Evans was in the first FF movie, as is the chick mentioned for Sue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"