Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't agreed much with Mr. Dent lately but I have to on this point. Its stupid to have a black Johnny and white Sue and just expect the audience to just buy that without addressing the elephant in the room. Its not worth the hassle as that immediately draws attention to something that people shouldn't be focusing on. When adapting these franchises to the big screen, you need to keep things as simple for the mainstream audience and going through all these hoops to try and sell 2 characters who are clearly of a different race as full blood siblings is an unnecessary complication. The simplest route would be to just have them adopted or to make them the same race.

I've seen Jordan in chronicle and of course on The wire. He's a fine actor in everything and I applaud Fox for doing something bold. It would be a lot easier on ad men and investors to go more traditional. I really hope next Kit Harrington gets the part as Reed, I hear the others canidates are great too, but I have a horse in the race as they say.

:up:

They've got balls to stick to an actor they like for the role and not shy away from the backlash of the hypocritical ignorant.

:up:

They've got balls to stick to an actor they like for the role and not shy away from the backlash of the hypocritical ignorant.

Since none of the casting rumors have been confirmed, we don't know yet whether or not Trank and the producers have "balls". And how exactly are people disappointed in the casting rumors being hypocritical?

But since it appears as though Trank and company are at least considering race-blind casting for Johnny and age-blind casting for Reed, why not really have "balls" and use weight-blind casting for Sue. I've said it before - Rebel Wilson as the Invisible Woman.

Seriously hoping Marvel Studios will get there property back.........this is ridiculous!!:wall: :ikyn:facepalm::exp:This is the book that launched the Marvel Age of Comics, for crying out loud! :doh:

Since none of the casting rumors have been confirmed, we don't know yet whether or not Trank and the producers have "balls". And how exactly are people disappointed in the casting rumors being hypocritical?

But since it appears as though Trank and company are at least considering race-blind casting for Johnny and age-blind casting for Reed, why not really have "balls" and use weight-blind casting for Sue. I've said it before - Rebel Wilson as the Invisible Woman.

Yeah!! And let's make the Thing a "Metal" creature instead of "rocky"!! We can be element-blind, too! Let's go all the way!!

I'd rather they have some real guts and have a mostly black cast with Reed, Johnny, and Sue: or you could have Reed be white. The adoption thing just seems lame to me. If you're going to change Johnny's race you might as well go all the way.

Last edited:
Acting is acting... but I feel they are doing this just to be different.

Being different for the sake of it is a disservice to the character. I like Jordan as an actor but I can't say I love this casting.

Oh well... lets see where it goes.

I don't have issue with Jordan as Johnny as long as Sue is black as well. Otherwise it comes off like they're afraid to change two characters, as if there is some limit. Either change both or keep them the original race.

Since none of the casting rumors have been confirmed, we don't know yet whether or not Trank and the producers have "balls". And how exactly are people disappointed in the casting rumors being hypocritical?.

The non-reaction to Nick Furys and Alicia Masters and Heimdalls casting.

Acting is acting... but I feel they are doing this just to be different.

Being different for the sake of it is a disservice to the character. I like Jordan as an actor but I can't say I love this casting.

Oh well... lets see where it goes.

yeah i kinda roll my eyes when people jump on the defense of "Well if they want him so bad, he's obviously the best suited for the role" :whatever: i'm like really? (not to mention by that logic Nick Cage as Ghost Rider, Halle as Storm/Catwoman, and Ryan Reynolds as Hal should have all been the "best choices" )

A) if he's really cast, Trank has obviously been gunning for him the entire time... thus there was really never any other choice

B) directors live for this kinda "controversy" some will complain, some will thing it's ground-breaking (it's really not) but either way the director gets his name out there even more and people talking about him.

C) I find it incredibly hard to believe there's not an equal (if not better) actor cast who can not only act perfect in the role, but also look like the character... lets also not kid ourselves... Johnny Storm isn't the hardest character to portray...

fury had some, but at least there was a bases for it... considering he really is Ultimate Nick Fury.

Alicia and Heimdall are such minor characters.. that it really doesn't make a difference what so ever

Yeesh, all this squabbling over whether they should be natural or adopted siblings, and we haven't even gotten into the possibility of a Sue that's younger than our Johnny, or one that's older than our Reed. So much potential headaches and pointless distractions over changes in the relationship dynamics that could've been easily avoided.

the funny thing is... it's not Johnny that needs reinvented on screen... it's Sue and Reed...

they actually got Johnny and Ben right in the original films... all this energy should be going into making the perfect sue and reed (and doom)

Fury already had Sam's likeness in the Ultimate comics. Nobody cared.

Alicia's a supporting character, not a main cast member. Very few cared.

There was a huge or at least very obnoxious amount of nerdrage surrounding Heimdall's casting.

And to add you're trying to compare a racial change to a single character and ignoring the fact that Johnny and Sue are Brother & Sister so now you're messing with the whole family dynamic which is the basis of the Fantastic Four. This is the typical, non-X-men, disrespectful (and they don't have to follow it to the letter to be respectful but the spirit of the source material) to the material just like the Rothman days. So to all that say "Rothman is gone so.." it doesn't always work that way if the Rothman culture doesn't change. Sometimes giving full creative control to the director may be a bad thing. Take Marvel for example. They seem to have a Hierarchy Feige then Whedon then the individual directors and there is input from everybody and Feige has the power to say no to a move.

So Sue Needs to be Black or Johnny has to be adopted.. Stay real!!

Which if this was back at Marvel Feige would no this move for sure..

Thats why I make mine Marvel and question all else!!

Edit: Though Sue and Johnny could have the same mother and different fathers but do we really need these complications for a CBM when it was just A scientist, A pilot and A Sister and a Brother in FF #1? Like Why??

Last edited:
I don't see them still being brother and sister as messing with the dynamic. So they aren't biological sibling or same race parents, does that make them any less brother and sister?

Last edited:
So they don't want them to be the same age or races as the classic 1960s comic book?

So they don't want them to be the same age or races as the classic 1960s comic book?

Unknown at present.

Since it isn't now the 1960s but instead 2013 you'd think modernizing the family unit to reflect modern day family structures wouldn't be so bad.

Guess society hasn't come as long a way as we like to think.

Unknown at present.

Since it isn't now the 1960s but instead 2013 you'd think modernizing the family unit to reflect modern day family structures wouldn't be so bad.

Guess society hasn't come as long a way as we like to think.

How is changing their ages modernizing?

Funny I don't recall people complaining about Ra's Al Ghul and Bane being played by white actors. Jordan will do fine as Johnny I also hope Sue would be black, as others have said the adoption route is pretty lame.

Last edited:
Feige was a producer on the original F4 movies too.

Isn't Sif and Heimdall brother and sister in the comics? That was thrown out the window entirely. Though they weren't main character in the movie.

Yes they are, and I remember one poster here (who was an obvious fan of the character) objected to the change citing that fact, only to be unfairly branded a racist for doing so. IIRC Heimdall was ironically known by the Norse peoples as 'The White God' as well.

However in Thor's film they never attempted to pretend they were siblings at all.

Alicia was also met with some complaints on the basis that her 1st appearance in the books made it clear she resembled Sue (she put on a blonde wig and impersonated Sue to gain access to the Baxter Building).

So it's a myth to say that other changes, even if only to supporting characters, didn't meet any objections. They did.

Yes they are, and I remember one poster here (who was an obvious fan of the character) objected to the change citing that fact, only to be unfairly branded a racist for doing so. IIRC Heimdall was ironically known by the Norse peoples as 'The White God' as well.

However in Thor's film they never attempted to pretend they were siblings at all.

Alicia was also met with some complaints on the basis that her 1st appearance in the books made it clear she resembled Sue (she put on a blonde wig and impersonated Sue to gain access to the Baxter Building).

So it's a myth to say that other changes, even if only to supporting characters, didn't meet any objections. They did.

Yeah i editted that out since they weren't main characters and a big part of the story it didn't seem necessary to my point. :)

How is changing their ages modernizing?

That part isn't, you're correct. They're young because it's based on Ultimate F4

Funny I don't recall people complaining about Ra's Al Ghul and Bane being played by white actors.

Whitewashing is fine, apparently. I'd wager if you compared the amount of roles in movies that have been whitewashed compared to roles that have been minoritywashed the difference would be staggering.

Last edited:
Funny I don't recall people complaining about Ra's Al Ghul and Bane being played by white actors. Jordan will do fine as Johnny I also hope Sue would be black, as others have said the adoption route is pretty lame.

If Sue is Black, there will be outrage from people once they see her kiss Reed.

Naw.. In that light we've come forward.. No worries there for me

I don't know. People were outraged at that Cheerios commercial that featured that annoying little mixed race kid with a white mother and we see her black father at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"