Days of Future Past Favorite Badass: Jackman's Wolverine or Fassbender's Magneto?

I used to like Jackman's Wolverine alot, but after mugging as the face of previous 3 X-Men movies and then got a mediocre movie all to himself, I'm rather fatigued and tired of his Wolverine. Fassbender has surprised me by how awesome he was in FC, and I'm talking about his performance, not the cool special effects that Magneto did in this movie. I didn't think a Magneto solo movie was a good idea, but after watching Fassbender I think I would buy a ticket just to watch his Magneto for the entire movie hunting Nazis.

Fassbender's Magneto was badass.

I used to like Jackman's Wolverine alot, but after mugging as the face of previous 3 X-Men movies and then got a mediocre movie all to himself, I'm rather fatigued and tired of his Wolverine. Fassbender has surprised me by how awesome he was in FC, and I'm talking about his performance, not the cool special effects that Magneto did in this movie. I didn't think a Magneto solo movie was a good idea, but after watching Fassbender I think I would buy a ticket just to watch his Magneto for the entire movie hunting Nazis.

Same here. If we can get the same badass Magneto in a solo Movie, I'll be there opening day.

Ok, I'm going to distill it down to their two most 'badass' moments in the movies, and both of them take place in bars. The 'Get out of my bar freak' scene, and the scene in Argentina.
This is also fair on Jackman's Wolverine to judge by the first movie only, as FB's Magneto has so far only appeared in one movie.

Both of those scenes were my favourites in both movies.
I have watched the Wolverine one countless times, and the Magneto one once, so aye, it is of course difficult to gauge how much the Magneto scene would stand up over time.

But, really, the most badass moment I feel is that moment when Wolverine sheathes his claws, gathers himself, and walks away. Rogue's reaction to that moment is just perfect, there is a momentus energy in the scene that is blatantly shared by the in movie audience.
The Magneto music in that scene is frickin great, but that little eerie piece of Micheal Kamen music that plays when Logan walks away is also perfect accompaniment, in a much more subtle way.
It is a perfect superhero moment, just 100% frickin perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect. I will never get tired of watching that scene.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to distill it down to their two most 'badass' moments in the movies, and both of them take place in bars. The 'Get out of my bar freak' scene, and the scene in Argentina.
This is also fair on Jackman's Wolverine to judge by the first movie only, as FB's Magneto has so far only appeared in one movie.

Both of those scenes were my favourites in both movies.
I have watched the Wolverine one countless times, and the Magneto one once, so aye, it is of course difficult to gauge how much the Magneto scene would stand up over time.

But, really, the most badass moment I feel is that moment when Wolverine sheathes his claws, gathers himself, and walks away. Rogue's reaction to that moment is just perfect, there is a momentous energy in that moment that is shared by the in movie audience.
The Magneto music in that scene is frickin great, but that little eerie piece of Micheal Kamen music that plays when Logan walks away is also perfect accompaniment, in a much more subtle way.
It is a perfect superhero moment, just 100% frickin perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect. I will never get tired of watching that scene.

Well said but still, I agree with Alexei Belyakov that Logan defending the mansion in X2 and ending with the claw pop "just shot me" scene is extremely badass and beats the bar scene in X1. I even love the Creed rematch in Origins where he learns his lesson and stabs Victor in the throat. Logan is getting the short end of the badass stick around here even though I agree 100% that Fassbender is amazing and I'll never get tired of watching that bar scene in First Class.

Well said but still, I agree with Alexei Belyakov that Logan defending the mansion in X2 and ending with the claw pop "just shot me" scene is extremely badass and beats the bar scene in X1. I even love the Creed rematch in Origins where he learns his lesson and stabs Victor in the throat. Logan is getting the short end of the badass stick around here even though I agree 100% that Fassbender is amazing and I'll never get tired of watching that bar scene in First Class.

Yeah, I mean, when I am watching the whole lot of First Class on dvd over and over, I will never tire of that scene in Argentina either, but I think if I watched it religiously, on it's own, the way I used to watch that particular Wolverine scene, I might make myself a bit sick of it. So i think I will save the impact of that scene for when i am watching the whole movie, not just skipping to it.

I think I can do that with that particular Wolverine scene because there is not much in the way of slick sfx moves, I mean, that is part of the appeal of the Magneto scene, i know that is not all of it of course, it's the attitude of the character and the scenario he is in. But, after getting to know all the moves in any kind of action scene too well, I could make myself a bit sick of the cool moves. What's different with that Wolverine scene is it is kind of a mood scene, rather than action, a series of still, quiet, incredibly tense moments, punctuated by a couple of moves that are so fast you hardly see them. I never get sick of the moves in that scene, they fly by so quickly, but still look and feel perfect, so I want to see them again and again.

But, aye, lol, there are not many movie moments I have watched that many times, that probably holds the record for me, I used to do my flatmates heads in the amount of times I played my first bootleg tape of that scene back in 2000.

I agree that 'shoot me' scene is perfect Wolveine too, man, I wish they had had him charge through some bullets like in the books after that moment, but it was the perfect ending to the mansion attack, leaving you wanting more.

Magneto's the guy that pulled the adamantium from Wolverine's body. Which COULD play out in a movie one day. The Nazi-coin-through-Kevin-Bacon's-head was just an inkling of what Fassbender could do with a scene like that. Fassbender/Jackman playing that scene out together, IF it does happen would be...omg.

If this poll was posted back in 2000 when Hugh first appeared as Wolverine this would be a tougher choice. I think back then he approached the character with a raw hunger that somehow has been lost over the years. Fassbender is in that place now and I have to say...he scared the f*** out of me in theaters. Ian's version was dangerous in a more refined way but you can see with Fassbender's portrayal how Ian's character became the effed up ruined man he is.

To illustrate: In X1, Magneto stopped the bullet (and guns) from firing on those cops in the stand-off with Xavier at the Train Station. Fassbender's Magneto would have let s*** fly. :funny:

Fassbender's Magneto was ruthless...and he enjoyed it. LOL

If The Wolverine lives up to the hype, this poll could change. :p

If we're talking Wolverine from the original Singer movies, then Jackman. If it's Wolverine from X-Men Origins or The Last Stand, then Fassbender.

Hugh's Wolverine.

Even if I'm annoyed that he'll have a "substantial" role in DoFP, I still think Hugh is a better actor than Fassbender and his Wolverine is irreprehensible (I've already erased Origins from my mind).

To quote my 12th grade law teacher:

"If I had claws coming out of my friggin' hands, I'd be pissed off too!"

So, I voted for Magneto.

As of right now? Magneto, for the coin scene alone. Besides X2 (and I guess the First Class cameo), Wolverine has been really watered down in the films. He was too soft in The Last Stand and Origins. The Wolverine and Days of Future Past could change that, and I hope they do.

Fassbender, he was like a twisted Bond. Jackman does come close though IMO.

I'd have to go with Fassbender's Magneto, because he managed to scare the crap out of me by just sitting still on the hotel bed staring at the wall. IMO the only time Wolverine came close to having the same raw ferocious quality was in the early scenes of X1, particularly the bar and the fighting ring. I do have a huge soft spot for the "rough on the outside/good-hearted on the inside" characters, but I think they've ended up diluting Wolverine a tad too much.

This is difficult for me, I've been a fan of Wolverine for decades but Fassbender's Magneto was really badass. The scene in the bar was amazing and the coin bit at the end. He would make a great Bond.

One of Origins' failings was not showing a really ruthless Wolverine. Hopefully The Wolverine will go some way to correct this.

Fassbender's Magneto would totally annihilate Wolverine...

Logan's rampage through the school in X2 is a million times more badass than anything Magneto did in First Class. :o

Plus the scenes in First Class where Magneto was being a "badass" against his own friends don't count for me.

While theres no doubt Magneto would tear him to shreds. Wolverine still has the best action moments in the franchise because of X2 imo. Which gives him the win for me. Both are equally awesome when used right.

Last edited:
Wolverine's bezerker in X2 vs Magneto's manhunt in First Class...
Tough call... I go with the Wolverine scene but Magneto overall.

Wolverine's X2 scene in the mansion was Brilliant. But the bar scene in XFC with Magneto was intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"