Favorite Spider-Man film so far.

I sure as hell didn't like TAS-M's version of Peter Parker.

Eh, i look at it as one part of a whole. Then'origin' of Spider-Man is not use the first act of the first movie, it's going to encompass the planned trilogy. He's a kid in love, so he breaks his promise. And it's looking like their building up the death of Gwen Stacy for the third film, so there are ramifications for Peter breaking the promise, cementing the concept that with great power comes great responsibility in a tragic, sobering fashion. I actually prefer this approach, the characters come off like actual people instead of Saturday morning carton characters like in raimis films (and I like the raimi films btw).

But it also shows me that Peter learned nothing in the movie. The lessons of responsibility and learning to see what being Spider-Man actually means is null and void because he pushes his growth to the sideline without as much as a second thought. He literally only follows the promise for like, 5 mins film time. It totally contradicted what he was supposed to learn, IMO. Yet another reason it irked me. It irks me more because it is how the movie ends, so I left the film with a bad taste in my mouth from this scene, which hurt the great death scene Capt. Stacy had.

I honestly don't understand how Peter is a jerk. I fail to see it. He makes some poor choices but all characters do. He's still a teenager and Webb and co. are using that to create a good drama. There is no character I have related more to than Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker.

I think the drama in TASM was very mixed. Some of it worked, some of it sucked. One great example of poor drama was after Spider-Man got shot and was sturggling to get to Oscopr, and the stupid crane montage happened. This wasn't the only piece of poor drama in the film. That said, there were plotlines/moments of drama that were done very well. But, it is offset by me with a lot of crappy decisions they also made.

But it also shows me that Peter learned nothing in the movie. The lessons of responsibility and learning to see what being Spider-Man actually means is null and void because he pushes his growth to the sideline without as much as a second thought. He literally only follows the promise for like, 5 mins film time. It totally contradicted what he was supposed to learn, IMO. Yet another reason it irked me. It irks me more because it is how the movie ends, so I left the film with a bad taste in my mouth from this scene, which hurt the great death scene Capt. Stacy had.

I think the drama in TASM was very mixed. Some of it worked, some of it sucked. One great example of poor drama was after Spider-Man got shot and was sturggling to get to Oscopr, and the stupid crane montage happened. This wasn't the only piece of poor drama in the film. That said, there were plotlines/moments of drama that were done very well. But, it is offset by me with a lot of crappy decisions they also made.

I wouldn't say him breaking the promise undermines Capt Stacy's death. Peter's a teenager who just became Spider-Man. Yeah at first he wanted to keep his promise to him but after Gwen came over he probably did what any teenager would do: decide that their going to keep being Spider-Man and keep Gwen safe. He hasn't fully grasped the concept of just how much being a hero is a dangerous thing. That's what we're going to see in TASM 2.

Why does everyone rag on the crane scene so much? It wasn't that bad to me.

The first Spider-Man has a major nostalgic factor for me; I still remember being lined up for it at not-quite 7 years old.

But nothing in all four of the films beats Spider-Man fighting Doc Ock on top of the train before he has to take off his mask and save the people on board, or Peter trying to live a normal life, conflicted with his calling to greater power and responsibility.

Spider-Man 2 is one of the major comic-book films that set the standard for the whole genre, and I just gotta give it my vote.

I thought TASM was pretty good, but still cant believe it is beating Raimi's first movie on the poll. Raimi's movie did the origin so perfectly and I felt Peter's relationship with Aunt May and his guilt over Ben's death was better dealt with as well.

SM1 to me barely even allowed Peter and Uncle Ben to be in the same room(except for THE SPEECH in the car), much less feel like they had any sort of good relationship. So when Ben dies, I really didn't care all that much. Plus SM1 had MJ instead of Gwen(with MJ being horribly miscast) and the whole organics BS as negative points stacked up against it. Plus I always felt Peter was pretty miscast as well.

I thought TASM was pretty good, but still cant believe it is beating Raimi's first movie on the poll. Raimi's movie did the origin so perfectly and I felt Peter's relationship with Aunt May and his guilt over Ben's death was better dealt with as well.

I think most prefer Spidey 2 over Spidey 1, so that will get the vote. 74% of the poll favors Raimi over TASM.

Last edited:
No suprise since nostalgia runs high on the internet.

I wouldn't say him breaking the promise undermines Capt Stacy's death. Peter's a teenager who just became Spider-Man. Yeah at first he wanted to keep his promise to him but after Gwen came over he probably did what any teenager would do: decide that their going to keep being Spider-Man and keep Gwen safe. He hasn't fully grasped the concept of just how much being a hero is a dangerous thing. That's what we're going to see in TASM 2.

He just saw Capt. Stacy die in the line of duty, nearly died at the hands of a Lizard guy, and was shot by the police. Clearly he knows how dangerous this life style is. The writers just wanted to shoe horn them together at the end so the film stood apart from Raimi's SM1 somehow. I wouldn't have an issue with that if not for the fact it completely undermines everything that just happened.

Why does everyone rag on the crane scene so much? It wasn't that bad to me.

The cranes was unneccassary, cheesy, and mindblowingly illogical. There is no way that could have been orchastrated that quickly, and really no reason we needed it in the movie. Without that 2 minute detour, and just having a wounded Spider-Man show up to battle Lizard, same movie. It served no purpose to the narrative. All it does is distract and make people scratch their heads. Very poor writing.

No suprise since nostalgia runs high on the internet.

So does more interesting writing and better characters.

TASM. Flawed film but still better than the other ones. I have high hopes for TASM2, especially with what Giamatti will bring to the table

I voted for Spider-Man 2.

Amazing Spider-Man is my least favorite.

So does more interesting writing and better characters.

If one likes Raimi's brand of kitschy cheese, I suppose. Personally it sours my stomach. If Raimi had made his Spider-man movies 1960's period pieces it might have worked better, but alas he didn't.

I think most prefer Spidey 2 over Spidey 1, so that will get the vote. 74% of the poll favors Raimi over TASM.
There also seem to be many on the TASM board who prefer SM2 over TASM, but prefer TASM over Raimi's origin. So that argument goes both ways, as some of those Raimi votes would likely go Webb's way if SM2 wasn't on the poll as well.

It's not simply a case of Webb vs. Raimi for those people who rank them like SM2>TASM>SM1>SM3.

I think it will be more fair once Webb completes his trilogy.

Raimi got three tries to get things right. Webb only one.

If you want to be fair, compare only Raimi's first movie with Webbs first movie.

I doubt Raimi wins by 74%, if at all.

Raimi got three tries to get things right. Webb only one.

If you want to be fair, compare only Raimi's first movie with Webbs first movie.

I agree, this is the best approach atm......

Myself, I personally have a tie for Spider-Man 1/TASM, and those two are currently my personal favorites. I agree, SM2 is the superior film, but SM1 & TASM have a fun factor to them.

There also seem to be many on the TASM board who prefer SM2 over TASM, but prefer TASM over Raimi's origin. So that argument goes both ways, as some of those Raimi votes would likely go Webb's way if SM2 wasn't on the poll as well.

It's not simply a case of Webb vs. Raimi for those people who rank them like SM2>TASM>SM1>SM3.

I'm sure thats true to an extent, I still think there are alot more cases were people would choose Spidey 1 over it if Spidey 2 wasn't an option. TBH that board is about the only place I really hear a positive attitude for ASM on the net or just in general. I have seen quite a bit more praise for the first two Raimi films over ASM. With Spidey 3 getting the most hate of them all. Not saying that speaks for everyone in anyway, just what I have personally seen.

Last edited:
ASM has a much higher user rating on RottenTomatoes than SM1.

So I'm not sure where people get the idea that SM1 is more well liked by the public.

Thats 32 million votes (Spidey 1) vs 400 thousand(ASM). Quite a big difference in the number of votes for user RT to make any sort of comparison from there. It may lead to a smaller percentage but Spider-Man 1 has an overwhelming amount of more positive reviews there due to the number of votes.

I could argue box office, IMDB and Critics matter as well if RT Users matters.

Thing with comapring numbers is that alot more people saw Spider-Man 1. It has an unfair advantage on audience.

Last edited:
It shouldn't matter how many people have votes.

Opinion polls use thousands of people to predict the way millions will vote and it is incredibly accurate.

So a small or large sample of the public will yield similar results.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll

When its that big of a difference in votes/year of release and coming from Rotten Tomatoes users, yeah it does. X3 and X men Origins have high fan reviews there. So I wouldnt exactly go there for accurate info.

ASM is probably gonna drop in the nest 5 years. Its a new film with barely any votes. Maybe it will go up, who knows. Point is its gonna change more then likely, its still new on there. Comparing the percentage to a film that has had an audience for a decade is hardly fair.

Last edited:
the first spiderman was very awesome and nostalgic
but spiderman 2 was a great sequel

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back