The Flash Favorite villain?

Wildcard

Cataclysmic Titan
Reaction score
Thus far, who's been your favorite? For me, Zoom is easily gets that spot. As much as I loved Reverse Flash and as interesting as Savitar is building up to be, Zoom was just on another level. His arc had a lot of suspense to it for the simple fact that for most of it you didn't know who he was and he appeared randomly/whenever he wanted. And it always helps that they got Tony Todd to do the voice, which helped to more easily sell his menacing presence.

Reverse Flash for me, Cavanagh and Letscher both did a great job in their appearances as Thawne, and the mystery surrounding the character, while somewhat predictable, was very well executed and made for a villain we were interested in before we even saw him.

I liked Zoom, but he kinda lost a lot of his edge after the identity reveal, also was kinda disappointed they didn't adapt his powers from the comics and just made him a speedster instead (not holding this against the character, but they should've just named season 2's villain Edward Clariss/Rival considering the Jay connection and since the character had so little in common with comics Zoom).

It came down to reverse flash and cold for me. Loved colds attitude from his first appearance. Also reverse flash has been great with 2 actors. Cold gets the edge because of the first season of legends.

Captain Cold is my favorite because his attitude, craftiness, intelligence, and layered personality make him a great character as well as a great villain. He's both compelling and entertaining, and his appearances on both Flash and Legends made him a fully realized character in terms of both the good writing and the great acting by Wentworth Miller.

I also like Reverse-Flash, Zoom, and Alchemy because they each have some unique traits they bring to the table. And I love watching Mark Hamill whenever he appears as the Trickster. He's just wildly entertaining.

I was a huge fan of Zoom until they screwed up the reveal and story. So my answer is Reverse Flash. I get excited for anything Reverse Flash related.

I don't really think they screwed up Zoom's reveal. The pieces were all there from the get-go as to who was underneath and the way it went down regarding us actually seeing who it was made sense. It was one of the first times Zoom actually started making mistakes and it's one of the things that started to turn the tide. Though I can agree some of the edge was knocked off once he was unmasked.

Reverse Flash - he's been the most personal, in terms of an enemy and has had two strong performances from both actors who portrayed him.

Works so well as a villain that he managed to be a good main antagonist in a show that doesn't feature the Flash.

Zoom just didn't work for me, once they did the weird Jay Garrick reveal - and repeating the whole "your friend is actually an enemy" well it got old the second time. Zoom kind of put Barry through the same crap that RF did....without a motivation that made sense.

Savitar is just a shiny Zoom, he's messing with Barry for the sake of it. Really, I don't care for these guys. But RF, well he was right in their face from day one, and the reveal was done at a pace that worked to actually create some drama.

I just wish the writers hadn't dug themselves such a massive hole with how they killed him off at the end of season 1. It's almost as if someone said " I've got this great idea....." then they went away and shot the episode and afterwards somebody realised that if RF never existed, nothing in season 1 would have happened. Oops.

I do like that they have retained some elements from the classic Flash story "The once and future Flash" although that was about Wally, probably his best story ever.

Anyway, Reverse Flash IMO has been the best villain so far.

While Captain Cold has been great RF has been a step up in terms of both his villainy and the threat he represents.

Zoom didn't really do the same as RF outside of killing a parent. Whereas Reverse Flash was trying to get back to his proper place in the timeline, Zoom was trying to acquire Barry's speed to keep himself from dying. And then I believe he tried to destroy the multi-verse. Those are totally different motivations.

Though I can understand why someone would say Reverse Flash's story had better tension/a better handled reveal.

Zoom didn't really do the same as RF outside of killing a parent. Whereas Reverse Flash was trying to get back to his proper place in the timeline, Zoom was trying to acquire Barry's speed to keep himself from dying. And then I believe he tried to destroy the multi-verse. Those are totally different motivations.

Though I can understand why someone would say Reverse Flash's story had better tension/a better handled reveal.

Ummm.......let's see, who smacked Barry down publicly, pretended to be a friend/ally, killed one of Barry's parents, messed with/pushed Barry so he would get faster....who am I talking about here ? Answer, both RF and Zoom. Looks pretty similar to me.

And I didn't say their motivations were the same, just that RF's made more sense - particularly Zoom's ridiculous plan to rule/destroy the multiverse.

Last edited:
I was a huge fan of Zoom until they screwed up the reveal and story. So my answer is Reverse Flash. I get excited for anything Reverse Flash related.

This. His motivation behind it all really fell flat for me.

Ummm.......let's see, who smacked Barry down publicly, pretended to be a friend/ally, killed one of Barry's parents, messed with/pushed Barry so he would get faster....who am I talking about here ? Answer, both RF and Zoom. Looks pretty similar to me.

And I didn't say their motivations were the same, just that RF's made more sense - particularly Zoom's ridiculous plan to rule/destroy the multiverse.

I'm not denying the similarities between the storylines. I'm just saying that personally, I always felt there was still enough to differentiate RF and Zoom, and those differences give Zoom the edge in being my favorite.

I do agree they could've done better with Zoom wanting to flat out destroy the multiverse out of nowhere. It's not like they built up to that being what he wanted to do all along or what he was planning from the get-go. With the way Zoom went about it, you can tell the writers weren't 100% sure what to make his endgame be.

I'm not denying the similarities between the storylines. I'm just saying that personally, I always felt there was still enough to differentiate RF and Zoom, and those differences give Zoom the edge in being my favorite.

I do agree they could've done better with Zoom wanting to flat out destroy the multiverse out of nowhere. It's not like they built up to that being what he wanted to do all along or what he was planning from the get-go. With the way Zoom went about it, you can tell the writers weren't 100% sure what to make his endgame be.

To each their own. If you prefer Zoom fair enough, I just found him a less engaging version of Reverse Flash with a less interesting backstory - although he was clearly very menacing and a legitimate threat whom Barry couldn't defeat ( compared to Reverse Flash, whom Barry absolutely owned when he travelled back to prevent his mother's murder !)

- personally, I thought a more interesting twist would have been if Earth 2 Barry had turned out to be Zoom - rather than the whole Jay Garrick but not really Jay Garrick thing - at the same time, they should have cast John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick from day one.

Perhaps if they'd kept Zoom more in line with the comic book version, I could have got into him more ? Guess we'll never know.

Reverse Flash all day.

Making Barry beg him to kill his mother was hall of fame villainy.

To each their own. If you prefer Zoom fair enough, I just found him a less engaging version of Reverse Flash with a less interesting backstory - although he was clearly very menacing and a legitimate threat whom Barry couldn't defeat ( compared to Reverse Flash, whom Barry absolutely owned when he travelled back to prevent his mother's murder !)

- personally, I thought a more interesting twist would have been if Earth 2 Barry had turned out to be Zoom - rather than the whole Jay Garrick but not really Jay Garrick thing - at the same time, they should have cast John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick from day one.

Perhaps if they'd kept Zoom more in line with the comic book version, I could have got into him more ? Guess we'll never know.

I actually enjoyed Zoom more because of them changing a lot of elements associated with the comic book version. But, even with that said, I absolutely agree with you that it may have turned out even more interesting if it were Barry under the mask, but it looks as if they're heading in that direction with Savitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"