Favourite Characters Before Season 8?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score

Well one thing I think we have to admit whether your on the side of loving it, hating it or being some what lukewarm about it the season has definitely been divisive.

So I thought it would make for interesting reading who your Top 10 favourite characters were before Season 8 and next week I will do a list post season 8 and see if anyone's list has changed.

I will start us off (also mine are in particular order, feel free to do that yourself though)

1. Jon Snow - I struggle to count all the awesome moments he's had but throughout it all its Jon's ambition to always do the right thing that has made him so endearing.
  2. Arya Stark - Her story with the Faceless Men in Braavos was one of my favourites of the show and it arguably brought about the biggest character transformation for Arya.
  3. The Hound - Whether its his excessive use of the c word, the fact his Scottish accent always shined through or his banter with Beric & Thoros he's always been one of my favourites.
  4. Daenerys Targaryen - She's the god damn queen of course she was gonna make my list lol, plus the fact she has 3 dragons and I really enjoyed most of her story.
  5. Bronn - Saving Tyrion to going to Dorne with Jamie and saving him from the dragon as well as all his funny moments, the character is excellent because he is one of the few common men in the show.
  6. Tyrion Lannister - While he's had some fun moments of as the hand I really fell in love with Tyrion's character more in his drinking and ****ing days.
  7. Jamie Lannister - The guy who started out as someone I hated very slowly morphed in to this person with a lot more depth and after he lost his hand his story just got better and better.
  8. Tormund Giantsbane - I think you could easily argue he's had some of the greatest lines and comedic moments in the shows history along with his love for the big woman lol.
  9. Beric Dondarrion - Dormer is a great actor which obviously helps but the fact that he's rocking an eye patch and flaming sword instantly made him one of the coolest looking characters on the show.
  10. Joffrey Baratheon - Was a hard choice between him and Bolton but honestly I still think Joffrey was the best villain the show has had, credit to the actor as he really made a memorable villain.

That my list what's yours?

I liked Brienne. Well now I don't

Davos is nice.

The Starks....NOPE. They are more annoying than Daenerys but she is ruined now...so team Tormund/Ghost is all that is left

My all time favs are Catelyn and Tywin

It would probably be more interesting to do a list of everyone's favorite characters AFTER season 8, lol.

1. Arya
2. The Hound
3. ?

In no real order.

Jon Snow
Tyrion
Davos
Olenna Tyrell

It would probably be more interesting to do a list of everyone's favorite characters AFTER season 8, lol.

1. Arya
2. The Hound
3. ?

I thought would make for interesting reading to see if the last episodes makes any drastic changes to peoples lists lol

I thought would make for interesting reading to see if the last episodes makes any drastic changes to peoples lists lol

Yeah, I know. It's a good idea for a thread. Because prior to this season (if I'm only including characters who are still alive), my list would probably have gone:

1. Jon
2. Dany
3. Tyrion
4. Arya
5. Jaime
6. The Hound
7. Sam
8. Davos
9. Sansa
10. Brienne

After this season? Jon's been a total waste of space, Dany inexplicably lost her mind, Tyrion's been an idiot, Jaime's character development was undone in an episode and a half, Sam's mostly been absent, Davos hasn't had anything to do, Sansa and Brienne have been... okay but they've both had some weak character moments (Sansa betraying Jon's trust five minutes after she swears to keep his secret, and Brienne's sappy "Come back, Shane!" scene with Jaime).

Tyrion was always my favorite.

Tywin was a great "big bad".

Olenna Tyrell was awesome.

I also usually liked Daenerys........

Brienne is one of my favorite supporting characters.

I like Davos.

Littlefinger was interesting, and Joffrey and Ramsay were great villains.

Jon started out the most boring part of the show to me, then he slowly got more compelling, now he's become a waste of space again.

Never liked Stannis or Bran or their storylines and thought they were both always boring as hell. The only time Stannis contributed to anything good was the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

I've never particularly liked either Jon or Dany, Jon just comes across as a raging Gary Stu to me and always has (I much preferred Robb and think he made a much better leader, breaking his oath to marry Talisa aside) and I would have liked Dany much more if they'd chosen an actress to play her who could... actually act and accurately portray any kind of emotion,

As for top 10 characters, these are in no particular order (and there are 11, so sue me :oldrazz:):

• Cersei - She may be an evil, egotistical, utterly self-centered nightmare of a human being but that's exactly why I love her, the best villain in the show marvelously played by Lena Headey (Thankfully not ruined but that's only because she barely had any screentime this season, crappy and totally underwhelming end)
  • Jaime - Best character arc in the show by far along with Theon, I hated him at first but ended up absolutely loving him (Ruined, his whole character development was undone in one episode, crappy and totally underwhelming end)
  • Theon - Best character arc in the show by far along with Jaime (Thankfully not ruined)
  • The Hound - Another truly great character arc (Thankfully not ruined)
  • Bronn - Doesn't give a **** and is only out for himself, that's why he's so entertaining (Not ruined but likely only because he hasn't actually done anything this season)
  • Littlefinger - Another great villain, most of the events of the whole series happened because of his scheming (Ruined by hanging around doing nothing for a whole season and then unceremoniously killed off)
  • Tywin - Fascinating character awesomely played by Charles Dance (Thankfully not ruined and actually had a fitting ending)
  • Tyrion - Sigh, what a great character he was, one of the few that seemingly had any brain cells (Ruined, they've turned him into an idiot, I don't get his misplaced loyalty to Dany at all)
  • Stannis - I actually found him fascinating purely because Stephen Dillane is awesome and so underrated (Ruined and then unceremoniously killed off)
  • Davos - One of the few genuinely likable characters in the whole show (Not ruined but likely only because he hasn't actually done anything this season)
  • Brienne - Badass and honourable (Kinda ruined, her last scene with Jaime was really cringe-worthy)

Tywin.
The Hound.
Arya.
Olenna.
Littlefinger. Look how they massacred my boy.
Bonus - Tyene Sand. For starring in the only non-cringe sexy scene in the entire series.

Theon- Had probably the best and most consistent character arc over the course of the show and Alfie Allen is essentially the best actor on the show. They screwed up his arc with the Boltons in the end for the sake of Sansa, but his character was salvaged with the end of season 7 and what we saw from him in season 8.

Davos- Basically the most decent human being in the show and played to perfection by Liam Cunningham.

Stannis- His character was more or less screwed over by D&D from the word go, but Stephen Dillane did a pretty amazing job bringing a lot of quiet pathos to the character. It’s actually quite a feat when you hear about how Dillane was essentially treated as an afterthought by Benioff and Weiss during production and received very little context or direction, yet he still managed to give a level of humanity and dignity to the character.

The Hound- He’s not the most deep of characters, but he made the jump from page to screen pretty well and ultimately ended up being incredibly endearing.

These are not characters I necessarily root for or with whom I identify, I just really enjoy them for what they were. In no particular order:

Ned
Jon
Arya
Bran (pre 3ER)
Luwin
Tyrion
Cersei
Jaime
Tywin
Sandor
Littlefinger
Varys
Daenerys
Jorah
Barristan
Davos
Sam
Tormund
Mance
Margaery
Olenna
Brienne
Podrick
Bronn
Shireen
Melisandre
Lyanna M.

Arya. What's not to like? She bucks the expected trends, and tends to bring out the best in people.
Hound. Best overall redemption arc in my opinion. He also has the best one liners too.
Davos. I also love guys who are great with kids.
Tormund. Now talk about charisma! This man had tons of it.
Bronn. Another very fun and charismatic guy, and never a dull moment with him.
Tyrion. I guess we are seeing a pattern. I like personalities.
Beric. It's his voice. He had a really nice voice.
Thoros. Another interesting character.
Cersei. She is evil, but she was fun to watch.
Jon. Have to love his courage and balls of steel.

Honorable mentions.
Jojen
Meera
Osha
Daario
Jorah

Now the person I liked the least, would have to be Catelyn Stark. God, that woman was insufferable. Her stupidity knew no bounds.

Last edited:
Arya. What's not to like? She bucks the expected trends, and tends to bring out the best in people.
Hound. Best overall redemption arc in my opinion. He also has the best one liners too.
Davos. I also love guys who are great with kids.
Tormund. Now talk about charisma! This man had tons of it.
Bronn. Another very fun and charismatic guy, and never a dull moment with him.
Tyrion. I guess we are seeing a pattern. I like personalities.
Beric. It's his voice. He had a really nice voice.
Thoros. Another interesting character.
Cersei. She is evil, but she was fun to watch.
Jon. Have to love his courage and balls of steel.

Honorable mentions.
Jojen
Meera
Osha
Daario
Jorah

Now the person I liked the least, would have to be Catelyn Stark. God, that woman was insufferable. Her stupidity knew no bounds.

Yeah, I used to go back and forth on whether I liked or hated Cat but the way she treats Jon (which is even worse in the books) is just unforgivable. I don’t understand how you could forgive the husband you believe cheated on you (even though he actually didn’t, and they barely even knew each other yet) but treat his bastard son like a piece of trash. Like it’s the kid’s fault that his dad got busy with someone else.

Catelyn certainly has a big character flaw in regards to Jon, but I'd say that there's quite a lot of characters in the story that do far worse things than to treat a bastard son poorly. I think Catelyn is a really good character, who's faults come across as very human. Certainly one that's not strong in the traditional fanboy pleasing sense, but she rounds out the story with her POVs very well.

Ned
Tyrion
Jon
Arya
Brienne
Dany
Olenna
Margaery
Hound

Oh man I loved so many characters. Choosing just 10 was hard.

1. Arya
2. Jaime
3. Ned
4. Theon
5. Tyrion
6. Roose
7. Brienne
8. Davos
9. Margaery
10. Jon

In no particular order...

Arya - Such a fascinating, multi-layered character with a brilliant arc. Watching her grow over the eight seasons has for sure been my favorite of the many disparate plotlines, holding her own even when cut off from the main story.
Olenna - Just such a masterful manipulator, schemer and dispenser of brutal wit. And she got possibly the most epic mic-drop of a death in all eight seasons.
The Hound - Able to deliver equal levels of comedy and pathos, just a brilliant character with a powerful redemptive story arc. Rory McCann is one of the great underrated acting gems on this show.
Davos - It takes a lot to get me to love a character as objectively good as Davos.
Tywin - Probably my favorite villain, he was truly awful but commanded respect because of just how good he was at the Game. And Charles Dance (and the wardrobe department) made him impossibly cool.
Tyrion - He's the most iconic character for a reason. Peter Dinklage has delivered a truly legendary turn in this part, and deserves every ounce of praise he's gotten.
Margaery - Held a captivating screen presence whose machinations towards power were always entertaining.
Bronn - I'm always drawn to the pragmatists who see through all the pretension.
Jorah - Lots of empathy to the Knight of the Friendzone. All around just one of the most interesting characters with lots of great moments.
Lyanna Mormont - For being a fiery representative of an all-too rare empowered woman in Westeros, all at 13. Kudos to the actress for taking a bit part and making herself an instant fan favorite.

And a special shoutout to Ser Pounce, the one true king of Westeros.

1. Tyrion Lannister - Always had something interesting to say and a treat to watch when he was on screen.
2. Tywin Lannister - The way Dance commanded every scene he was in was magnificent. The best of the show's villains, and the one who would probably make the best king. Ruthless, but practical.
3. Bronn - Another fun character with tons of great moments.
4. Olenna Tyrell - A lot like Tywin, but more subtle. Favorite female character on the show.
5. Joffrey Baratheon - Oh did I hate this little brat. There is nothing to like about him
6. Ramsay Snow - A more competent version of Joffrey.
7. Daenerys Targaryen - A late riser I didn't care for her much in the earlier seasons when she was kind of a bland, messiah archetype with a mean streak. Got a lot more interesting when she actually made it to Westeros.
8. Arya Stark - Far and away the most interesting Stark.
9. Varys - Great interactions with several other characters, most notably Tyrion.
10. Davos Seaworth - One of the few honorable characters on the show. Fights for the greater good, but unlike Ned Stark he isn't completely stupid about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"